NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-17-2019, 03:53 PM
Christopher Williams

Default PWCC Lists Forged Derek Jeter Baseball COA Not Steiner Sports

In the past when I have attempted to contact an Auction House or High-End Ebay seller that accepts consignments about a forged item, I NEVER receive a reply or acknowledgement.

So maybe someone here on Net54 can reach out to PWCC and inform them that the below "Derek Jeter" is an obvious forgery.

And, of course, it is not a Steiner Sports product.

Steiner Sports dos not "authenticate."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Derek-Jeter...b706%7Ciid%3A1

PWCCJeter-5.jpg

PWCCJeter-5B.jpg
Old 09-17-2019, 05:24 PM
Ben North

These listings are outrageous. How dare a unscrupulous consigner take advantage of such an honest eBay seller.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:58 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
These listings are outrageous. How dare a unscrupulous consigner take advantage of such an honest eBay seller.
Imagine that!!!
Old 09-17-2019, 06:15 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
Imagine that!!!
Just in case anybody doesn't know blue font is the font of sarcasm.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:36 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Just in case anybody doesn't know blue font is the font of sarcasm.
Yep. Awesome.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:59 PM
DR
David R@tliff

this isn't the only forged autograph in their auction, there are numerous others

Griffey, tiger, I haven't given the rest a good once over but those and the Jeter are obvious

Last edited by bounce; 09-17-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:30 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Looks like a toddler did it...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:48 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
In the past when I have attempted to contact an Auction House or High-End Ebay seller that accepts consignments about a forged item, I NEVER receive a reply or acknowledgement.

So maybe someone here on Net54 can reach out to PWCC and inform them that the below "Derek Jeter" is an obvious forgery.

And, of course, it is not a Steiner Sports product.

Steiner Sports dos not "authenticate."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Derek-Jeter...b706%7Ciid%3A1

Attachment 366280

Attachment 366282
This "Jeter" is laughable.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:41 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

Steiner Sports provides a high end service and they know better than to use a sharpie on a baseball. They are also usually more careful than to place their hologram over the stitches of a ball. I sent a link to my Steiner rep to see if they want to address it.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:49 AM
Stefan

Whats weird to me is there is a MLB Holo on the ball (the small hologram) - I wonder what its actually for? IIRC those are tamper resistant and look horrible once peeled.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:48 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smanzari View Post
Whats weird to me is there is a MLB Holo on the ball (the small hologram) - I wonder what its actually for? IIRC those are tamper resistant and look horrible once peeled.
After some thought, I’m willing to bet that this is an authentic Jeter ball from Steiner. Then when the autograph faded the owner traced over it in sharpie.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:32 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
After some thought, I’m willing to bet that this is an authentic Jeter ball from Steiner. Then when the autograph faded the owner traced over it in sharpie.
I guess this qualifies as "conserved," right? And since PWCC doesn't need to disclose any conservation, there's nothing to see here!
Old 09-18-2019, 01:40 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
For something like that I can normally manipulate the photo to show something underneath. Was tough this time but here's what I got. arrows point to dark line under the marker.

Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 09-18-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:14 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
For something like that I can normally manipulate the photo to show something underneath. Was tough this time but here's what I got. arrows point to dark line under the marker.

That is nice work.

With all of the crap (fake holograms, etc) going on in the hobby, anything is possible.

So no one at PWCC was puzzled by this "Jeter" with a COA from Steiner Sports?
Old 09-19-2019, 06:08 AM
D@vid Fel@

Quote:
Steiner Sports provides a high end service and they know better than to use a sharpie on a baseball. They are also usually more careful than to place their hologram over the stitches of a ball. I sent a link to my Steiner rep to see if they want to address it.
Is Steiner even still operating or is it just a shell for fanatics now?
Old 09-19-2019, 07:02 AM

The sticker could be related to game use or some other authentication. Steiner doesn't just sell autographs. They authentic all kinds of game used stuff too. Same goes for MLB. The sticker isn't necessarily related to the autograph.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:49 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by felada View Post
Is Steiner even still operating or is it just a shell for fanatics now?
They are owned by Fanatics. I believe it's just a matter of time before the Steiner name disappears and the remaining inventory will be absorbed by Fanatics. There are currently zero signings listed on the Steiner site... it used to be dozens at any given time.

From the NY Post, Founder and CEO completely blindsided by sale of Steiner Sports to rival, June 12, 2019:

Steiner filed a public notice late Tuesday that all 60 employees at its New Rochelle offices were getting fired. Layoffs will begin Aug. 29, with a complete shuttering of the company by Oct. 29, according to the notice.

A stunning and sudden collapse of what used to be one of the premier names in sports memorabilia.

Last edited by Mr. Zipper; 09-19-2019 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Additional detail added
Old 09-19-2019, 08:02 AM
Steve Zarelli

By the way... this is what I got when I suggested that Steiner look into obvious fakes on ebay that had their stickers...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 10.00.44 AM.jpg (14.6 KB, 235 views)
Old 09-19-2019, 08:27 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
They are owned by Fanatics. I believe it's just a matter of time before the Steiner name disappears and the remaining inventory will be absorbed by Fanatics. There are currently zero signings listed on the Steiner site... it used to be dozens at any given time.

From the NY Post, Founder and CEO completely blindsided by sale of Steiner Sports to rival, June 12, 2019:

Steiner filed a public notice late Tuesday that all 60 employees at its New Rochelle offices were getting fired. Layoffs will begin Aug. 29, with a complete shuttering of the company by Oct. 29, according to the notice.

A stunning and sudden collapse of what used to be one of the premier names in sports memorabilia.
That sucks for their employees, isn't a member here an employee?
Old 09-19-2019, 05:10 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
That is nice work.

With all of the crap (fake holograms, etc) going on in the hobby, anything is possible.

So no one at PWCC was puzzled by this "Jeter" with a COA from Steiner Sports?
PWCC doesn't know anything other than how to over-hype their items for maximum profit. I just received another email from PWCC, touting their Vault, with all of its "tax-free" and "protection" benefits.

The fact that they can even be taken seriously (or are allowed to continue selling their wares while under FBI Investigation) is disgusting.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:12 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post

Nicely done Scott. We figured it out.

As far as Steiner - I am in contact with 2 reps who have been there for a few years now. So there are still employees left there from Steiner.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:40 AM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
By the way... this is what I got when I suggested that Steiner look into obvious fakes on ebay that had their stickers...
Nice work Steve being on their blocked list, you must've called them out on some bs because they suck ass and they didn't take too kindly to that.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:43 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
Nice work Steve being on their blocked list, you must've called them out on some bs because they suck ass and they didn't take too kindly to that.
I wasn't nasty or anything rude. If I recall I tweeted them a link to an auction with obvious fake junk with their sticker on it... something to the effect of "Steiner... you may want to protect your brand and go after crooks using your sticker to sell fakes"

Their response was to apparently do nothing about the fakes, but instead block me.