NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 10-05-2018, 12:28 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default My idea to solve NFL tie's

If the game is tied in OT..

They should do a FG contest from different yards...

first guy- player A makes 35 ..then next guy if he misses..it..first guy-player A teams wins..if player B makes it...then playe B now tries a 40 yarder that the player A has to match and so on...

With the kickoffs basically gone...it gives more drama and value to kickers...
Old 10-06-2018, 10:19 AM
je.sse @rnot

I think it's ridiculous that they shortened the OT period to 10 minutes in the name of player safety, yet still allow the weekly Thursday games on 3 days rest. I say bring back 15 minute OT and get rid of Thursday games except for Thanksgiving.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:34 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

I like ties in the regular season, because as a result of the ties, there are fewer tied teams at the end of the season, resulting in fewer tie breaking scenarios to determine seeding in the playoffs, some of which are tied to concepts that are not intuitive. Inevitably, without ties, there are a bunch of 10-6 teams that end up tied that require a series of tie breaking rules to untie the knot so to speak.

If two teams are tied after 70 minutes, let them be tied. Is kicking a field goal or flipping a coin any justification for giving them a full game advantage in the standings. Of course not.

If you don’t like ties, then advocate for “sudden death” (as in the playoffs) and determine the winner by actually playing the game.

Giving both teams a chance to score and re-tie the game in OT is a good thing. If they remain tied after 10 minutes, so be it.

Would you advocate in tied basketball games for determining winners by a free throw shooting contest or perhaps a game of HORSE? Of course not.

In baseball would you advocate for a post game homerun derby instead of a tenth inning? Of course not.

And just to be consistent I find settling soccer ties with penalty kicks less than satisfactory.

If you disagree, just tie me up.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 10-06-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:55 AM
Kyle May

I don't have an issue with the ties. In fact, the NFL has a laundry list of bigger problems, including the amount of laundry on the field.

I agree that shortening OT is stupid.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 10-07-2018, 08:31 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I like ties in the regular season, because as a result of the ties, there are fewer tied teams at the end of the season, resulting in fewer tie breaking scenarios to determine seeding in the playoffs, some of which are tied to concepts that are not intuitive. Inevitably, without ties, there are a bunch of 10-6 teams that end up tied that require a series of tie breaking rules to untie the knot so to speak.

If two teams are tied after 70 minutes, let them be tied. Is kicking a field goal or flipping a coin any justification for giving them a full game advantage in the standings. Of course not.

If you don’t like ties, then advocate for “sudden death” (as in the playoffs) and determine the winner by actually playing the game.

Giving both teams a chance to score and re-tie the game in OT is a good thing. If they remain tied after 10 minutes, so be it.

Would you advocate in tied basketball games for determining winners by a free throw shooting contest or perhaps a game of HORSE? Of course not.

In baseball would you advocate for a post game homerun derby instead of a tenth inning? Of course not.

And just to be consistent I find settling soccer ties with penalty kicks less than satisfactory.

If you disagree, just tie me up.
the field goal kicking to win the game is just for regular season games in my situation, playoffs would be how they do it now. Soccer does the penalty kicks to decide the world cup!

At the many OTs and regular games, it does come down to who makes the field goal and who doesn't. So a field goal contest really doesnt stray from form. In baseball, it doesnt come down to who hit a home run and who didnt in extra innings like the field goal does in football so I think thats not a good comparison.. Kickers get fired sometimes after missing a big field goal the following week in OT or end of game, baseball players dont lose their jobs for not hitting a home run in extra innings or 9th inning...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 10-07-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:34 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
the field goal kicking to win the game is just for regular season games in my situation, playoffs would be how they do it now. Soccer does the penalty kicks to decide the world cup!

At the many OTs and regular games, it does come down to who makes the field goal and who doesn't. So a field goal contest really doesnt stray from form. In baseball, it doesnt come down to who hit a home run and who didnt in extra innings like the field goal does in football so I think thats not a good comparison.. Kickers get fired sometimes after missing a big field goal the following week in OT or end of game, baseball players dont lose their jobs for not hitting a home run in extra innings or 9th inning...
You forget to comment on HORSE.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:05 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
I don't have an issue with the ties. In fact, the NFL has a laundry list of bigger problems, including the amount of laundry on the field.

I agree that shortening OT is stupid.
+1
I was a big football fan I would watch any game that was on tv
and flip back an forth between games. I haven't watched a single
minute of a game in over a year and last year was the first time
I didn't watch the super bowl in 45 years.

Last edited by Pat R; 10-07-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:17 PM
Barry Sloate

Cleveland has already played three overtime games out of their first five. That's bizarre.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:28 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Cleveland has already played three overtime games out of their first five. That's bizarre.
That beats 0-16.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:34 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
was almost a tie as well...that may of changed how they did OT..

if see a team with 2 ties etc...

cleveland won a game of horse basically....might as well do the same thing with my kicker idea without risk of injuries to all the players....

that did basically get rid of kickoffs.....so the added thing about lesson risk to injuries is an important factor..
Old 10-07-2018, 08:40 PM
Kyle May

As a Browns fan, how OT is conducted is becoming irrelevant.

We're 1-1-1 in OT games, and 1-1 in regulation games. .500 no matter what.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 10-07-2018, 09:35 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
was almost a tie as well...that may of changed how they did OT..

if see a team with 2 ties etc...

cleveland won a game of horse basically....might as well do the same thing with my kicker idea without risk of injuries to all the players....

that did basically get rid of kickoffs.....so the added thing about lesson risk to injuries is an important factor..
HORSE was a sarcastic proposition to untie basketball games. If the Browns won a game of horse, perhaps they can help the Cavs after their football season.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:25 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
That beats 0-16.
Fair point.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:36 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
HORSE was a sarcastic proposition to untie basketball games. If the Browns won a game of horse, perhaps they can help the Cavs after their football season.
NBA should be 3 on 3 OT tiebreaker..

looks like Texans won horse against the Cowboys in OT yesterday..might as well did a fg contest.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:40 PM
Noel

In this instance college football got something right. 1 untimed possession each starting at the 25 yard line--still tied after 2 rounds make going for 2 points mandatory. Seems equitable and still plays the game out on the field.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:10 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
NBA should be 3 on 3 OT tiebreaker..

looks like Texans won horse against the Cowboys in OT yesterday..might as well did a fg contest.
I'm not sure how other fans are liking it but I enjoy the 3 on 3 in hockey. I think you have something there suggesting the same thing for Basketball.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:01 AM
Martin Parker

Given the quality of kicking this season - a FG contest would be really ugly to watch.

Personally, I quite like the ties.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:55 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart8081 View Post
Given the quality of kicking this season - a FG contest would be really ugly to watch.

Personally, I quite like the ties.
The NHL went all out and changed years of history because the fans did not enjoy all the ties...i really doubt NFL fans are loving ties...but thats not based on any real data...
Old 10-10-2018, 05:38 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I'm not sure how other fans are liking it but I enjoy the 3 on 3 in hockey. I think you have something there suggesting the same thing for Basketball.
Since they are "team" sports, I'd like to see it one better. Each team (in secret) selects the other team's 3 players from those active (non-injured) and provides those to the referee. Then they play the next 4 minutes (or whatever) with no subs. Injuries requiring removal would make that player unavailable for the next 3 games.

Tweaking of said proposal may be needed.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
The NHL went all out and changed years of history because the fans did not enjoy all the ties...i really doubt NFL fans are loving ties...but thats not based on any real data...
There have been very few ties in the NFL in recent history, something less than 1%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_tied_games

The NHL had 14% of their games tied in 2003
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26395

RECENT TIE-GAME STATISTICS
National Hockey League -- Fourteen per cent of all NHL regular-season games in the 2003-04 regular season ended in a tie (170 games of 1,230).

I'm not sure the ties are much of an issue for the NFL.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:36 PM

Maybe the players should have an academic test determine the winner of a tied game. Then we'd get some egg heads on the field. They could be just like the third string quarterback, dressing but never playing until that sweet OT test on 20th century history.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:35 PM

Jake, it was Bettman who declared that the fans didn't like tie games. We don't know of or recall any actual fans even being asked.
Without adding up the numbers, we'd bet that since overtime was dispensed with during WWII, the percentage of NHL
(or even minor pro) games ending in ties was closer to 20%, and we also don't recall anyone being bothered by that.
Real fans knew a tie was often a fair and just result.

It's a bias solely of American sports fans that ties are somehow unsatisfactory, and as regards hockey, sunbelt American fans
in particular -- the only paying customers Bettman cared anything about when he took over as NHL commissioner. The NHL
could've at least returned to the pre-WWII overtime format, or adopted the WHA OT format, but Bettman, with contempt for
all hockey tradition, instead introduced his ridiculous 3-on-3 / shoot-out carnival sideshow version.

Just us, it seems, but for hockey and football, let the tie stand unless it's a playoff game. Making overtime and sudden-death
a regular-season commonplace diminishes their impact in post-season play. By cracky, dagnabbit. And get off our lawn!
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 10-15-2018, 07:15 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvor View Post
There have been very few ties in the NFL in recent history, something less than 1%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_tied_games

The NHL had 14% of their games tied in 2003
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26395

RECENT TIE-GAME STATISTICS
National Hockey League -- Fourteen per cent of all NHL regular-season games in the 2003-04 regular season ended in a tie (170 games of 1,230).

I'm not sure the ties are much of an issue for the NFL.

right and you will see more ties now...its every week it feels where theres a last second fg attempt to win OT..last..dolphins/bears for example..
Old 10-17-2018, 02:44 PM

I have two ideas for overtime. Both involve getting rid of the complicated ruleset they put into practice some years ago.

1. Go back to how it was before. Sudden death. No "everyone gets a turn" method. Who cares if there are ties or not.

2. People wanted the overtime rule to change because they hated the hurry up and kick a field goal way of winning games. So my idea is get rid of kickers AND punters. Flip a coin. opening kickoff to the other team. Teams cannot kick field goals or punt. Turnovers are on downs. First team to score a touchdown wins. If time expires, it is a tie.

Either I would not be against making it a short period, aka not a regular quarter.

And this is only for regular season games. Post season seems to have too much history involved where there is a game winning field goal to remove that rule to begin with. Such a huge change, the NFL should have retired the Super Bowl and started over with a version 2 or something.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:42 PM
Barry Sloate

The Browns are in overtime again, for the fourth time this season. Unbelievable!
Old 10-21-2018, 04:57 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Kickers

I agree with getting rid of kickers and punters. There is nothing less exciting than someone trying a last minute field goal.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:39 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I guess I'm the first to say so, but I love the OP's idea. I find long field goals to be exciting, and it would be cool to see the contest go on, once both kickers exceeded the 50 yard mark. I think the record long field goal is still 63 yards, but someone may have broken that record. I bet the existing record would be broken if the NFL implemented this plan.

They will never actually do it, but I do love the idea. To me, the 59 yarder that beat the Browns, and the 63 yarder by Carolina (both to win their respective games) were exciting and amazing finishes.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:51 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I guess I'm the first to say so, but I love the OP's idea. I find long field goals to be exciting, and it would be cool to see the contest go on, once both kickers exceeded the 50 yard mark. I think the record long field goal is still 63 yards, but someone may have broken that record. I bet the existing record would be broken if the NFL implemented this plan.

They will never actually do it, but I do love the idea. To me, the 59 yarder that beat the Browns, and the 63 yarder by Carolina (both to win their respective games) were exciting and amazing finishes.

Thanks..plus as we see in OT..its a FG thats winning a lot of these games after almost 10 minutes are gone....