NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-22-2014, 01:06 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Great observation!

This is why I don't "do" autographs.
You figured out bats. To me it seems like it would be a lot easier to find an autograph you like, and feel comfortable researching, then purchasing it, than it would be for bats. But I bet you disagree with me.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:11 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by djson1 View Post
The first Lefty Grove sig I ever bought was on a 3x5 and it looks almost exactly like the one you posted. Same pressure as well. I bought mine from RJ Jack Smalling back in the day. Jack Smalling was known for collecting a ton of sigs on 3x5s that he obtained through the mail. I believe most of his stuff was good...although he did sell a lot of secretarials.

But one thing I have noticed is that Lefty Grove did vary his signature a little bit throughout his career. Although, if I read your comment correctly, you're saying the sample posted on this thread is probably not authentic. I think it does look suspect....as do the rest of the sigs on that page.
Sure he did, but not like this. For that reason you would never buy it alone. And because there are so many other easily-researched fakes on this list, you have another reason for not buying it.

Any time I see an obvious fake, like the Grove, I try to find more examples on the internet. It gives clues as to where the forgeries are coming from. And if I find an authentic one that looks the same, it also keeps me from looking like an idiot.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but all the people who said this piece looks great, must think that the signatures look just like real ones they have seen in the past. But they don't, or we would be able to find exemplars that look like them, and we can't. I would love to see that 3 x 5 that you are sure looks like this one.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:15 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Jason, The one I posted is authentic. I was saying how could they say the one on the sheet could even thougt to be authentic.

Last edited by shelly; 07-22-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:37 PM
J@son.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
... I would love to see that 3 x 5 that you are sure looks like this one.
Scott, sure, I'll scan the one I have (that looks like Shelly's) of Grove tonight when I get home. I think I also have a signed baseball card and ball with Grove on it, which I'll also post later tonight.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:08 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by djson1 View Post
Scott, sure, I'll scan the one I have (that looks like Shelly's) of Grove tonight when I get home. I think I also have a signed baseball card and ball with Grove on it, which I'll also post later tonight.
That's not the one I wanted to see, but thanks.

I wanted to see the one that you said looks like the Grove on this sheet.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:16 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
Nice piece, absolutely authentic.
Do you still think it is absolutely authentic.

Last edited by shelly; 07-22-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:31 PM
J@son.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
That's not the one I wanted to see, but thanks.

I wanted to see the one that you said looks like the Grove on this sheet.
I guess we misread each other's comments then. I was responding to Shelly when I said that I had one that looked exactly like his (the 3x5 of Grove that Shelly posted)...not the OP's. Like I stated, I think the Grove from the OP's sheet looks suspect. Grove usually signed smaller and slanted. That example looks tall and light-pressured.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:39 PM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Not to go off topic here, but I want to again thank everyone on this board as I am learning a ton, and getting better at spotting fakes. When I first saw this posting the Grove stuck out to me as looking off, but I didn't post anything. I have been collecting for about 25 years now since I was 11 years old, but until about the last 5 years most of my autos came from signings at shows. Since joining the boards I have really taken my collecting to another level for myself, as really getting into more vintage stuff ( I'm addicted now). So just wanted to say thanks, sorry for going off the topic.

Last edited by parker1b2; 07-22-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:49 PM
Scott

I'm not an expert by far, but several signatures on that sheet look off to me, esp the Grove. I also don't care for the C in Joe Cronin or some of the Jimmie Foxx.

Last edited by GrayGhost; 07-22-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:07 PM
Belltown Vintage

I only examined 6-7 of them before posting initially, and because all were bad, I didn't look at the rest.

My initial post in this thread was intended to get Jeff to go through the same exercise I did.