NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-17-2015, 02:23 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Default William Wrigley travel trunk

In the category of "small world," my buddy was wasting time in a thrift store in Virginia Beach and came across this item. It is an original travel trunk once owned by chewing gum magnate and Cubs owner William Wrigley. Obviously there are some condition issues but I thought this was a pretty neat item to surface, especially in, of all places, a thrift store some 700 miles from Chicago. Apparently the store's owner contacted the HOF and had it authenticated shortly after it was donated, and the Hall even had pictures that showed Wrigley with this very trunk. That's the story I was given at least. If legitimate, I still don't know if $800 is a good price for something like this, and it certainly isn't a fit for my collection, but I thought it was worthy of sharing at the least.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:01 PM
Belltown Vintage

If I thought it was real I would have bought it for that price - with the drawers, it's a perfectly usable man-cave item.

Great piece - thanks for sharing.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:28 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
If I thought it was real I would have bought it for that price - with the drawers, it's a perfectly usable man-cave item.

Great piece - thanks for sharing.
Agreed, but have doubts on legitimacy. If real seems a bargain at that price.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:20 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector View Post
Agreed, but have doubts on legitimacy. If real seems a bargain at that price.
That's kind of what I thought too. I wasn't there and don't know if my friend saw any of the documentation from the HOF, so I can't add any validity to that side of the story. Apparently the original owner got it at an estate sale, which is the kind of thing that might be complete BS. I did a cursory internet search to see if I could turn up any past records on Wrigley Estate sales but didn't find anything. That type of research is not exactly my specialty though so maybe I just didn't know where to look.

Last edited by dgo71; 01-17-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:23 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
with the drawers, it's a perfectly usable man-cave item.
Had that thought myself!
Old 01-20-2015, 10:17 AM
Danny Gabel

only 800? it would gone for 8,000 easily!!

Where's Dummy Hoy or Dummy Taylor's trunks?? Im waiting
Old 01-20-2015, 10:33 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

If you look at the first c in Chicago it does appear to be
Painted under the old paper label. Assuming the paper label was not added later which it does not look to be id say the piece at least warrants closer inspection

Last edited by Econteachert205; 01-20-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:51 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

I have to believe this is legitimate who would go to the trouble of trying to concoct a fake trunk like that with all the printing for only $800.00. You should call them and purchase that now!!!!! Heck risk reward seems worth it.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:46 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Ok, resurrecting this old thread, as I went by the thrift store and they still have this item. In fact it has been marked down to 699. Having now seen it I have no doubt in its authenticity. It had that old mildewy smell and the guy had some very specific details. It is from 1913 and the original owner had it for about 40 years. He acquired it at an estate sale at one of Wrigley's mansions. The person was removing a stained glass window and went to the attic to get it loose, and found the trunk. The leather has cracked and dried in some areas and the original leather handle at the top is missing, but all the interior drawers and hangers are intact. Considering it's over 100 years old it's not in bad shape.

The stickers on top are very brittle and definitely aged. One is from where the trunk was shipped to L.A. and even has the shipping company's old, outdated format phone number. The other is a Waldorf Astoria sticker, which Wrigley had a hand in building. That sticker is actually no longer attached and just laying on top of the trunk.

If I were to purchase this, what would be the best way to resell it? Obviously shipping would be problematic and expensive. If the estimates above are remotely close to the true value of the item, I'm definitely going to buy it.

Last edited by dgo71; 02-28-2015 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:06 PM
Joe

I am not sure about the above estimates, but your would have to think it is worth more a lot more than $699. If you have no doubt and trust everything you heard with that story, I am surprised you left without buying it already. I am also surprised no one else has bought it already, and for that matter why so cheap if the seller knows the background on the trunk.

Seems to good to be true, to the extent that something doesn't seem to add up.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:20 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

I think it is cheap because the guy knows what the item is but no idea of value. It's a thrift store, the guy running it doesn't specialize in sports memorabilia and in fact that was the only sports related item in the store from a collectible standpoint. Likewise, it's a pretty niche item, I don't know that there are many vintage collectors hitting the thrift stores in this area, or that would be willing to spend that money on an oddball item. I've been collecting 30 years and have no clue to its value, so I can imagine the price would seem high to a casual patron.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:22 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

That said, I'm buying it tomorrow. I've heard enough encouraging remarks to believe I won't get stuck with it. And even if I do, as stated, it'd be a cool man-cave item.

Can anyone direct me to some websites where I could do a little more research on something like this?
Old 02-27-2015, 06:32 PM
Joe

Go for it. Good Luck. To the right Cubs collector you could make a lot of money. Museum quality piece. Try contacting the Cubs organization. Also try finding some early photos of Wrigley where you may be lucky enough to find a matching photo - who knows. One of the larger AHs may also research it for you if you consign.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:37 PM
And.rew Whi.te

There is a great deal of information online regarding repair and restoration of steamer trunks such as this one. While i am sure you dont want to change much, if anything on this trunk, perhaps some of these restoration places can give you an idea of value of the trunk only and not the sports related value.

For the record, I see this item in the hall of fame or maybe even a Wrigley museum (if one even exists). This truck is very cool.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:38 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector View Post
Go for it. Good Luck. To the right Cubs collector you could make a lot of money. Museum quality piece. Try contacting the Cubs organization. Also try finding some early photos of Wrigley where you may be lucky enough to find a matching photo - who knows. One of the larger AHs may also research it for you if you consign.
I have contacts within the Cub organization and I am reasonably sure they would not want it. Now if it said Cubs on it in some way they would have interest as they are building some additions to Wrigley which will include a team museum.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:39 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Thanks! I'll start looking around and see what I can turn up, appreciate the leads.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:56 PM
T0dd M@rcum

There's probably a whole other crossover candy collector market that would also find it to be a very attractive item. Nice find.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:24 AM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
There is a great deal of information online regarding repair and restoration of steamer trunks such as this one. While i am sure you dont want to change much, if anything on this trunk, perhaps some of these restoration places can give you an idea of value of the trunk only and not the sports related value.

For the record, I see this item in the hall of fame or maybe even a Wrigley museum (if one even exists). This truck is very cool.
I missed this post while scrolling on my phone, thanks for this info! Where's an Antiques Roadshow appearance when you need one?

And I agree completely on your last point. When my friend first told me about this item I mentioned the HOF maybe having an interest in it. I may try to contact someone at the Wrigley corporation and see if there's any info they can provide.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:15 AM
Brock

Roger Bresnahan 1902-08 New York Giants Traveling Trunk just sold at auction for alittle over $3,300.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:59 AM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
I missed this post while scrolling on my phone, thanks for this info! Where's an Antiques Roadshow appearance when you need one?

And I agree completely on your last point. When my friend first told me about this item I mentioned the HOF maybe having an interest in it. I may try to contact someone at the Wrigley corporation and see if there's any info they can provide.

Good Luck Derek! I agree, museum quality piece. Kind of exciting - keep us posted on what you learn and how this progresses. And when you get it, seeing a few more close up pics from different angles would be cool.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:49 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
Roger Bresnahan 1902-08 New York Giants Traveling Trunk just sold at auction for alittle over $3,300.
Do you know the condition or have a link? Looking at steamer trunks on Ebay, aside from insanely priced Louis Vuitton trunks, the prices were mostly under $1000. I'd think Bresnahan would have more appeal to collectors than Wrigley, so I'm starting to think the asking price is more in line with the value.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:32 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Search the Heritage results, it's there
Old 02-28-2015, 01:48 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default yah seems to be hit or miss.....probably not $8,000 though

Stanley Coveleski - $239

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...ntoryid=165776

Lefty Grove - $968

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...entoryid=66215

Cy Young - $2390

http://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/ci.../a/714-81843.s
Old 02-28-2015, 03:26 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Thank you Paul, that is most helpful.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:34 AM
Brock

Did you ever buy this?
Old 07-13-2015, 11:05 AM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

I have purchase the Wrigley Trunk. I was doing my morning treasure hunting on eBay before work ( about a week ago) when, I saw this trunk pop up. I recall seeing this thread awhile back ago, double check and it was the same trunk. It was shipped out today, so I'll take pictures once it arrives. Not sure what the future holds for this trunk, but for the price, couldn't pass it up.

Last edited by GoCubsGo32; 07-13-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:50 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Got the trunk today. This thing is huge and heavy (about 75-100lbs)! I don't how they carry these things around,lol. I took some more pictures of the trunk. It's an interesting piece and the inside is in very good condition! The outside is a little rough, but is there any way to clean it? I mean would it be okay to wipe it down with damp cloth to clean off the dirt around the chest? Thought about contacting the HOF for more info or maybe put it on loan.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:18 PM
Rob

^^^^^ Super cool!!!!!