NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-01-2014, 09:11 AM
Robert A

Default Chicago Sun Times Show in November

Anyone go or set up at this one? I've moved back to town after a short vacation (20 years) and have never been to this one. Considering setting up or at least checking it out.

Thanks.

Rob
Old 11-01-2014, 09:15 AM

I should be attending...
Old 11-01-2014, 09:17 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Hey Rob
I have never been to the Chicago Sun Times show but some of my buds in the hobby tell me it's a pretty good one for vintage. I would imagine, if things go as tentatively planned...and due to "empty-nester" syndrome, I/we will consider doing this one in the next year or two. I am sure a few other members will give you some good feedback.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:10 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Show

It is no longer called the Sun Times show. It is now the "Fanatics Authentic Sports Spectacular", with a heavy emphasis on autographs.

Admissions is $10, which is less that I paid in previous years. The last time I went to the show, parking was $18.

I have been to the show a few times. I like the spring show and the June show better than the fall show. (I'm not sure whether or not they still have the June show.)

Here my take on the show, and everything depends on your goals.

1. I haven't had much luck selling to dealers at this show. It seems like a lot of the dealers are fairly local to Chicago, and they are loaded up on items from the Chicago teams, so they aren't looking to buy many Chicago items. Most of the dealers didn't seem interested in buying, or even looking at my stuff, and any offers were extremely low. I know that the dealers are buying to resell, but even with that in mind, the offers were really low.

2. If you are looking to buy items to flip on eBay, or to flip at other shows, this may not be the show for you. The dealers prices seemed high and they didn't seem to want to negotiate. I was looking for bulk purchases but I didn't find any deals that worked for me. I have always had great luck at the other Chicago shows, but not the fall show.

3. If you are a collector, you can find a good assortment of 50's and 60's cards, and a decent assortment of pre-war cards. The prices are fairly high, but you might find some good deals.

4. If you are planning on attending on Sunday, the dealers start clearing out at noon, and by 1:30 many of the dealers are gone. I usually stay until the last dealers clear out, hoping to see if I can find some good buys. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I do like the show and I always enjoy myself and find a few items for my personal collection, but sometimes I wonder if it is worth the 8 hour round trip, admission fees, tolls, 440 miles worth of gas, and the parking fee, plus the constant construction on the interstate and the heavy traffic around the Donald. E. Stephens Center.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:15 AM
Robert A

Thanks Rick for the info. That's a long drive for you.

I'll ignore the autographs and take a stroll through the show.

Rob
Old 11-01-2014, 04:40 PM
Josh Adams

I live about 15 minutes from Rosemont so I usually go with a buddy Friday night or Saturday. It has been scaled down in recent years, but it's still fun to go to a card show.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:50 PM
Larry

It was always quite good in the late '90's and early 2000's, but I haven't been there in a few years.

Regards,

Larry
Old 11-04-2014, 11:03 PM
Jeff

Default Dates?

When is it being held this fall?
Old 11-05-2014, 06:15 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Have not been to a show in 25 years but am considering this one, if only to meet Kirk Gibson, who is there on Sunday.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 11-05-2014, 07:37 AM
keith janosky

My brother and I have been there 2 times a year for the past 20 years. Sometimes it has been good sometimes not and lately less and less dealers than previuos years. The worst part is the parking fee so by the time you pay the admission and parking you already spent 25.00 before you even walk in the door which to me takes money out of the dealers pockets. Autograph prices are out of control so more money out of the dealer pockets so you can see why the dealer tables seem to be less.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:47 AM
Andrew L@Vine

I have gone the past couple years and agree with the others, the Spring show is typically better. As for parking, I usually park in the CTA lot (located across the way once you exit the highway). It's only $5 and is about a 5 minute walk to the convention center.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:26 PM
Bry@n

Here is the link to the show. I thought about attending this year but night not be able to swing that weekend.

http://www.fanaticsauthenticshows.com/
Old 11-05-2014, 06:05 PM
Tony Gordon

I'm setting up as usual. I've been having really good Sun-Times/Fan Fanatic shows lately on both the selling and buying front.