NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-08-2018, 06:58 PM

Default Late 1960s Hockey Pennants

Hi All. Looking for a little help on some late 1960s hockey pennants I came across.

Do you think these are homemade from someone as an arts and crafts project or maybe they are prototypes? There is also a stick attached to each. I've been collecting hockey pennants for a long time and have never seen these. Material is felt. There were two of each of the Kings and Penguins as well. The Seals looks like someone wrote the date on it.

I've also attached two other Penguins pennants where you can see the font is the same. Penguins used that font from 1967 till almost late 70s. I have a 1967 Penguins pennant with that lettering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2182.jpg (9.0 KB, 422 views)
File Type: jpg pens-seals.jpg (73.0 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg kings 67.jpg (72.0 KB, 435 views)
File Type: jpg pens mini.jpg (63.2 KB, 425 views)

Last edited by islesnut; 05-08-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:05 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
I'm guessing it's a travel pennant...the logo seemed to fit multiple genres.
I would agree.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:30 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by islesnut View Post
Hi All. Looking for a little help on some late 1960s hockey pennants I came across.

Do you think these are homemade from someone as an arts and crafts project or maybe they are prototypes? There is also a stick attached to each. I've been collecting hockey pennants for a long time and have never seen these. Material is felt. There were two of each of the Kings and Penguins as well. The Seals looks like someone wrote the date on it.

I've also attached two other Penguins pennants where you can see the font is the same. Penguins used that font from 1967 till almost late 70s. I have a 1967 Penguins pennant with that lettering.
I don't think these are home made, just very rare. I seem to remember seeing something like this many years ago. I don’t really buyor sell mini pennants so I don’t recall the exact details. I think these are just cheaply made from the same era as the others shown that are much more common.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:45 AM
Rob

At the risk of outing an auction I do this for all the baseball pennant collectors out there. Play nice boys.

http://r.ebay.com/WXDexU

I should mention...it's 10% eBay bucks right now as well.

Last edited by Fballguy; 05-10-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:22 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fballguy View Post
at the risk of outing an auction i do this for all the baseball pennant collectors out there. Play nice boys.

http://r.ebay.com/wxdexu

i should mention...it's 10% ebay bucks right now as well.

smh.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:16 PM
Rob

I messaged the guy...couldn't resist. He said they're "transitional" logos and these pennants were only available at games. I told him it looked like her cut them off a boat. If you want a laugh...send him an inquiry.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:51 PM
Rob

Quote:
I messaged the guy...couldn't resist. He said they're "transitional" logos and these pennants were only available at games. I told him it looked like her cut them off a boat. If you want a laugh...send him an inquiry.
Sometimes, if a guy is asking $39,000 OBO for something like that, I'll offer them a buck.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:52 PM
Brian "Tony" Levinson

Sounds like u don't think these r authentic? I really want a monarchs pennant but maybe I should withdraw my $ 15000 offer?

Buying or trading for lesser condition Butterfingers

Always looking for raw lesser condition vintage baseball and football --small or large lots.

Member of Old Baseball Cards
Old 05-11-2018, 06:49 AM
Rob

I'd find out what the "L" stands for on the Kansas City Monarchs pennant before placing a bid...but that's just me.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:59 AM
Marc

Default Giants

I hate seeing this thread off of the front page.

I purchased this Giants/Candlestick pennant recently. It is in really nice shape and this version seems to be pretty hard to find. The colors are great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Giants orange stick pennant.jpg (80.3 KB, 281 views)
Old 05-23-2018, 09:05 AM
Marc

Default football pennants

Also... if you want to see some football pennants, go and check out Fballguy's webpage. It is really well organized and will probably make you jealous.

http://feltfootball.com
Old 05-23-2018, 09:54 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Nice pickup, Marc...

That one (with that color scheme) is indeed a real toughie. Possibly their very first pennant after moving from Seals Stadium to Candlestink (pun intended!)
Old 05-23-2018, 06:11 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Nice pickup, Marc...

That one (with that color scheme) is indeed a real toughie. Possibly their very first pennant after moving from Seals Stadium to Candlestink (pun intended!)
Never had a bad time at Candlestick!

I call Marc's pennant one of the "cartoon font" series. I count nine pennants with that font. Here are a few others:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2786.jpg (75.8 KB, 338 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2785.jpg (75.6 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2781.jpg (77.6 KB, 336 views)
Old 05-30-2018, 12:01 PM
Rob

Thanks Marc. Glad you like it. Consider this an open invitation for all who wish to share pictures of pennants not shown on the site currently. I'd be thrilled to add some of the rare ones that I know people on this forum own. No pressure...Just message me if interested. I've reached out to about a dozen people so far, both on this forum and elsewhere and the feedback and willingness to share pictures has been great.

Picked up a few new ones since the last time I posted here...Recently snagged this elusive little elf after years of looking.

image host

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
Also... if you want to see some football pennants, go and check out Fballguy's webpage. It is really well organized and will probably make you jealous.

http://feltfootball.com
Old 05-30-2018, 12:07 PM
Rob

Sadly this one appears to be lost in the mail. Shipped to me from Illinois on 05/16. Tracking updates stop 05/25. Opened case with USPS but not too optimistic. Not sure if it's a midwest thing or if it's the case nationwide, but the USPS has become extremely unreliable in this area over the past 12 months. Don't know when I'll get another shot at this one.

image host
Old 05-30-2018, 12:33 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I bet it turns up before too long. Sometimes the Tracking just stops, and the item still appears on your doorstep when you least expect it. I would not give up on it yet!
Old 05-30-2018, 12:58 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

This thread need more pickups! After a long dry spell, I've been fortunate to acquire some nice ones recently.

Baseball first... Very stoked to re-acquire the rare Jackie Pennant, and a Tigers version I'd never seen until now...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ebay 1.jpg (71.0 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg ebay 2.jpg (78.2 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg ebay 5.jpg (75.2 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg ebay 3.jpg (77.7 KB, 281 views)
Old 05-30-2018, 01:05 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

On the Football side, I've had some good luck as well.... the highlight being the '58 Giants Pennant from "The Greatest Game Ever Played".

I have the matching Colts from that game (not pictured here), and was very lucky to get a second chance at the Giants version...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cowboys Early.jpg (37.7 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg ebay 6.jpg (78.0 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg ebay 4.jpg (77.2 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg ebay 7.jpg (73.2 KB, 279 views)
Old 05-30-2018, 01:11 PM
Rob

Quote:
I bet it turns up before too long. Sometimes the Tracking just stops, and the item still appears on your doorstep when you least expect it. I would not give up on it yet!
The weird thing on this one is that it was shipped on 05/16 and as of 05/25 still hadn't made it's way out of Illinois. Very odd and the reason I'm not too optimistic. Not sure why this one went in circles for 9 days....almost like it was going down a drain.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:15 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
The weird thing on this one is that it was shipped on 05/16 and as of 05/25 still hadn't made it's way out of Illinois. Very odd and the reason I'm not too optimistic. Not sure why this one went in circles for 9 days....almost like it was going down a drain.
Nice analogy, but sure hope that's not the case....

Getting a refund would be small consolation for that rare beauty. I still think it turns up fairly soon. Be sure to let us know!
Old 05-30-2018, 02:31 PM
Rob

That's quite a month Mark!

Love those Tigers pennants. Don't think I've seen either before. Was the Jackie Robinson a BIN or auction? Don't remember seeing it until after it was sold.

Thanks for pumping the lifeblood back into this thread.

Last edited by Fballguy; 05-30-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:09 PM
Adam B

Great pick-ups Mark. The orange Tiger pennant is one that I've never seen before either. I once owned that New York Yanks football pennant. The movie FBI Story with Jimmy Stewart has a scene of a football game at the stadium, the pennant can be seen in the background of the concourse.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:00 PM
Rob

A few other football pickups...

image host
image host
image host
image host
image host
Old 05-30-2018, 06:25 PM
Rob

Great pickups, Mark and Rob!

I agree with Mark on the “lost” pennant. I think I have 2500+ ebay transactions. The vast majority were sent USPS. Not a single one has been lost.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:01 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Great pickups, Mark and Rob!

I agree with Mark on the “lost” pennant. I think I have 2500+ ebay transactions. The vast majority were sent USPS. Not a single one has been lost.
This would be my first lost one as well if I remember correctly...Though your post jogged my memory of another incident. About 5 years ago...The first time I attempted to buy the New York Yanks football pennant Mark posted...I received a poster tube in the mail with one of the end caps missing and nothing inside. I was always suspect of the seller on that one. I won it in an eBay auction for a pretty low winning bid...around $100. He didn't seem too surprised or upset that it was lost and refunded my money no questions asked.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:53 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Those are some great pennants.

Mark,
That Jackie is in incredible condition as is the 58 Giants. Very tough.

Rob,
You have picked up some very rare football pennants. People tend to take for granted items like these because they look cool, but those are very rare and the condition is fantastic.

I’ve been meaning to send you some photos for your site, but haven’t had the time. Kids are keeping me too busy with summer sports.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:29 AM
Rob

Thanks Jason! No rush. Would love to add your pictures any time.

I've had hot and cold streaks lately...but the hot streaks have been super hot. I reached out to the seller of the Texans pennant to ask questions about it and she mentioned she had the Rams pennant that wasn't listed yet as well. Being a Rams fan I immediately asked if she could send me a picture and low and behold...it was one of the few Ram pennants I didn't own.

Another new addition...

image host

I keep saying I have to cool it and stop spending money....but then another must have appears and is too rare to pass up.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:50 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Rob.... very smart to jump on them when the opportunity arises. You can always re-make the money, but cannot recreate these vintage beauties. As Jason said, these Football Pennants are super-rare, and most are tougher than Baseball by far.

So you've gotta strike while the iron is hot, because the dry spells can drag on for weeks (if not months). But of course you already know this

As for that Jackie Pennant, I was pretty fortunate to spot it shortly after it was listed. It had a starting bid that was $500 below the Buy It Now price. I didn't want to take the chance of bidding in the traditional manner, so decided to exercise the Buy It Now. A no-brainer... they just don't turn up any more, especially in that condition.

Last edited by perezfan; 05-31-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:06 PM
Rob

That's what I tell my wife...I'm not spending money, I'm putting it a non-traditional savings account.

Great pick up on that Robinson!

Quote:
Rob.... very smart to jump on them when the opportunity arises. You can always re-make the money, but cannot recreate these vintage beauties. As Jason said, these Football Pennants are super-rare, and most are tougher than Baseball by far.

So you've gotta strike while the iron is hot, because the dry spells can drag on for weeks (if not months). But of course you already know this

As for that Jackie Pennant, I was pretty fortunate to spot it shortly after it was listed. It had a starting bid that was $500 below the Buy It Now price. I didn't want to take the chance of bidding in the traditional manner, so decided to exercise the Buy It Now. A no-brainer... they just don't turn up any more, especially in that condition.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:35 AM
Rob

You guys were right...The Chicago Cardinals pennant showed up safe and sound...finally.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:28 PM

Default Oakland Seals 1970 Stanley Cup Playoff Pennant

This is a rare beauty I just picked up. 1970 Oakland Seals Stanley Cup Playoff pennant that's dated 1969. Played just two playoff games during the 69-70 season and lost both to the Penguins. Anyone on this board go to those games? I also have a program from one of the games in Pittsburgh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2252.jpg (80.2 KB, 432 views)
Old 06-03-2018, 08:12 AM
Rob

Those old hockey pennants must be tough to come by!
Old 06-03-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Those old hockey pennants must be tough to come by!
You have no idea how tough they are to find. I never knew this one even existed until I saw it in a California Golden Seals documentary almost a year ago. I was lucky to find someone jay had it. Believe it or not, the seller lives in Massachusetts.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:43 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

That Seals pennant is awesome! Congrats on picking it up.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 06-03-2018, 10:44 AM
Marc

Default Seals

That Seals logo is one of my favorites... across all sports. Cool pennant.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:53 PM

Default Hockey Pennants

Came across this California Seals beauty by chance when I was in San Francisco for work earlier this week. It's an amazing first year 1967-68 California Seals NHL hockey pennant. Got it from a longtime Seals collector.

I've only seen this one other time and that was in a 2005 Hunt Auctions I found when looking at past auctions: https://huntauctions.com/live/imagev...=184&lot_qual=

Second image is a 1979-80 Edmonton Oilers pennant from the first year they entered the NHL. I can match it to the 1979-80 Oilers souvenir brochure in the photo. Very tough to match vintage hockey pennants to their souvenir brochure counterparts. This style is actually pretty tough to find.

Third image has the first Washington Capitals Stanley Cup Playoff series pennant in 1983, the second is a Western Canada Hockey League Winnipeg Jets pennant right before they came to the WHA - same logo they used in their first WHA season, and the last is a very rare I believe early 1950s Boston Bruins pennant - thought it may be late 40s, but I'm leaning early 50s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg california seals.jpg (79.1 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg Edmonton.jpg (77.9 KB, 358 views)
File Type: jpg caps.jpg (77.3 KB, 350 views)
Old 06-06-2018, 05:57 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by islesnut View Post
Came across this California Seals beauty by chance when I was in San Francisco for work earlier this week. It's an amazing first year 1967-68 California Seals NHL hockey pennant. Got it from a longtime Seals collector.

I've only seen this one other time and that was in a 2005 Hunt Auctions I found when looking at past auctions: https://huntauctions.com/live/imagev...=184&lot_qual=

Second image is a 1979-80 Edmonton Oilers pennant from the first year they entered the NHL. I can match it to the 1979-80 Oilers souvenir brochure in the photo. Very tough to match vintage hockey pennants to their souvenir brochure counterparts. This style is actually pretty tough to find.

Third image has the first Washington Capitals Stanley Cup Playoff series pennant in 1983, the second is a Western Canada Hockey League Winnipeg Jets pennant right before they came to the WHA - same logo they used in their first WHA season, and the last is a very rare I believe early 1950s Boston Bruins pennant - thought it may be late 40s, but I'm leaning early 50s.
Great finds?

Did you ever notice the CAPITALS logo is all lower case?
Old 06-06-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Great finds?

Did you ever notice the CAPITALS logo is all lower case?
Thanks! I think that's how they had their logo back then unless I'm missing something.

Checked on eBay and the logo looks similar from other 80s ones. Never mind - saw you're joking. Didn't see the smiley face on my phone! Lol.

Last edited by islesnut; 06-06-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:41 PM

Default Oakland Seals Pennant

Been on a real hot streak lately.

Was able to snag this 68-69 Oakland Seals pennant from another gentleman, who went to Seals games in the late 60s and early 70s. He bought it at the January 3, 1969 Oakland Seals game in Oakland against the St. Louis Blues. Absolutely fascinating to see how many different styles of pennants the Seals had. I guess they did what they do to do to try and make money.

I had never seen this one before in any of my searching.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seals 69 pennant.jpg (79.4 KB, 295 views)
Old 06-12-2018, 05:24 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Super-psyched to add an addition to my favorite set of pennants from the early 50s. The Cubs 75th anniversary pennant. These surface on eBay every 1-2 years, often not in very good condition. This one is pretty clean. Third version of the Cubs from this set, the blue one is pristine and a tiny bit bigger. But it is identical in every other way to the undated red one.

Some teams have two versions in this series. Senators (both pictured) and Red Sox (just one, still looking for the tougher swinging sock, I think Mark has it). There are also color variations.

If any of you have that Red Sox version, or the elusive Cardinals ("Cards") or Browns … and you wish to sell … just let me know if you want an arm or a leg.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cubs1.jpg (20.2 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg cubs2.jpg (19.3 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg cubs3.jpg (18.9 KB, 251 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 06-12-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:36 PM

One more variation.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:20 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Oh man ... didn’t know that existed!
Old 06-13-2018, 10:25 AM

one more

Old 06-22-2018, 10:30 AM
Rob

Default Getting dangerously close to sliding off first page. :)

Curious to get opinions on this pennant. It's medium sized at 18" x 9". Never saw one like this before. The seller (100% feedback) is from Canada and has quite a few unusual pennants like this...NFL and CFL. All selling for pretty nice prices. I picked up this one...because what the hell...It's the Packers. He's got a similar Vikings one too. Some of his "mini" pennants look dubious...but not sure what to make of this.

image host
Old 06-22-2018, 10:38 AM
Rob

New addition to the website. A few more semi-pro football pennants and I can give them their own page. This one from the Continental Football League circa 1965. Made of the same material as the Brooklyn Dodgers pennant discussed a few months back.

image host
Old 06-22-2018, 11:29 AM
Rob

Quote:
New addition to the website. A few more semi-pro football pennants and I can give them their own page. This one from the Continental Football League circa 1965. Made of the same material as the Brooklyn Dodgers pennant discussed a few months back.

image host
Did you bleach it?
Old 06-22-2018, 12:48 PM
Rob

Quote:
Did you bleach it?
No need. It looks great.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:58 PM
Marc

Default To bleach or not to bleach

So, I won this white 1962 Giants pennant that I've wanted for some time. The price was right, almost certainly due to condition. I figured that I might try to clean it up, per previous discussions from this thread.

It turns out that pennant is stained from the back. It was clearly sitting on top of this orange pennant from the same seller, with the staining coming from the black areas of the orange pennant, up through the back of the white pennant. So, it's stained all the way through. I'm curious to know if any of you have tried to clean a pennant with that type of staining.

Also, has anyone ever tried something like a stain remover pen on a white pennant?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1962 White pennant.jpg (79.6 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg Giants orange.jpg (79.1 KB, 273 views)
Old 06-24-2018, 07:38 AM
Rob

I had fantastic success bleaching that exact pennant. On the other hand, I absolutely ruined the same pennant with a RED batter (the red ran everywhere).
Old 06-25-2018, 01:27 PM
Mike

Some real nice pennants! Rob, love those football pennants. So glad the Cards pennant finally showed up.

Some really nice Hockey & SF Giants pennants also.

I saw a really sweet Knicks pennant a few pages back also. Drooled on my keyboard.

Mike