NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-11-2018, 01:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
Pretty sure if your reference Attila the Hun you have to put your name to it, correct.
Especially if you badmouth him.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:04 PM
Barry Sloate

Attila was pretty much my all-time favorite Hun.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:06 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Oh he was def "the" Hun!
Old 05-11-2018, 02:37 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajg View Post
I agree 1000% with Dewey's post.
Then please put your full name next to your post per the rules, just as is under Dewey's id. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:51 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Barry, I couldn't think of another Hun. I'm going to bet not many people can name another Hun without Googling it? Yup, I guess that makes Attila, most everyone's favorite Hun....
Old 05-11-2018, 02:58 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Barry, I couldn't think of another Hun. I'm going to bet not many people can name another Hun without Googling it? Yup, I guess that makes Attila, most everyone's favorite Hun....
I don't even really know what a Hun is, but I think if I met one, we would get along just fine.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:06 PM
Jay Cee

Here is a Hun I found when I googled it... Hi Barry 😊
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7547.jpg (47.1 KB, 539 views)
Old 05-11-2018, 03:34 PM
Barry Sloate

Lord have mercy... that was one of Wonka's creations, I think.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:07 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

“I’m in love, I’m in love
With Attila the Hun
Attila the Hun, Attila the Hun
Though he’ll pillage a village and kill everyone
I still love Attila the Hun”

Tom Lehrer
Old 05-11-2018, 06:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

My favorite is the Vatican Rag, pure genius. Such gems as

2 4 6 8
Time to transubstantiate

Ave Maria
Gee it's good to see ya

Do whatever steps you want if
You have cleared them with the Pontiff

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:39 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Mine are "We Will All Go Together When We Go" and Poisoning Pigeons in the Park"
Old 05-11-2018, 06:43 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Spring is here, a-suh-puh-ring is here.
Life is skittles and life is beer.
I think the loveliest time of the year is the spring.
I do, don't you? 'course you do.
But there's one thing that makes spring complete for me,
And makes ev'ry sunday a treat for me.

All the world seems in tune
On a spring afternoon,
When we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Ev'ry sunday you'll see
My sweetheart and me,
As we poison the pigeons in the park.

When they see us coming, the birdies all try an' hide,
But they still go for peanuts when coated with cyanide.
The sun's shining bright,
Ev'rything seems all right,
When we're poisoning pigeons in the park.

Lalaalaalalaladoodiedieedoodoodoo

We've gained notoriety,
And caused much anxiety
In the audubon society
With our games.
They call it impiety,
And lack of propriety,
And quite a variety
Of unpleasant names.
But it's not against any religion
To want to dispose of a pigeon.

So if sunday you're free,
Why don't you come with me,
And we'll poison the pigeons in the park.
And maybe we'll do
In a squirrel or two,
While we're poisoning pigeons in the park.

We'll murder them all amid laughter and merriment.
Except for the few we take home to experiment.
My pulse will be quickenin'
With each drop of strychnine
We feed to a pigeon.
It just takes a smidgin!
To poison a pigeon in the park.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:42 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Holy crap.... this is for real. It's in the 12 page PDF (terms and conditions of auction) that is buried on the website. At first I thought it was some kind of joke. Perhaps a new thread needs to be opened on this topic.

I'm trying to figure out what a reasonable explanation could be but I can't.

21. The Auctioneer, its affiliates, or their employees consign items to be sold in the Auction, and may bid on those lots or any other lots. Auctioneer or affiliates expressly reserve the right to modify any such bids at any time prior to the hammer based upon data made known to the Auctioneer or its affiliates. The Auctioneer may extend advances, guarantees, or loans to certain consignors.

What does that mean? "Auctioneer or affiliates expressly reserve the right to modify any such bids at any time prior to the hammer based upon data made known to the Auctioneer or its affiliates.

Fred, you probably now realize why there are some collectors who won't bid in Heritage's auctions
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:19 AM
Frank Evanov

Default H a

Val is spot on. Those hinky rules have been on their site for years. Caveat Emptor!

AH is basically telling us that if an item is going for a bargain price, they will run it up. MT is their perfect hire. They already have an office ready for Doug Allen when he is released.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:41 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey29 View Post
Before anyone reacts, Mark was guilty of committng a crime. He confessed to that and there is no disputing that. However, there is a major difference between being the head of an organization that comes up with a scheme to defraud and a subordinate that is following orders/instructions. Certainly still illegal, but very very different IMO.
The Nuremberg Defense. Awesome.

There's also a big difference between "making a mistake" and doing the same illegal behavior over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...you get the point.

It's an absolute joke he got another job with an auction house and an even bigger joke that people on here are defending that.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:27 AM
Howard Chasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
No, I would not support a decision to hire Bill or Doug. Different crimes committed, or at least severity. And as you well know, that is why the sentencing guidelines were different.

But yes, answering any question why there is support for someone who did what Mark did, is setting oneself up for disaster. That is why there are crickets. I know all 3 of them, I would only support Mark being hired....not that my support matters or not. I think Mark was lead down a bad path and don't think he will do it again. That is my opinion. I am not saying he didn't know what he was doing when he did it. He did and paid for it.
My mom used to say " if your friends jump off the Brooklyn bridge are you going to jump too?" In response to my telling her I did the wrong thing because my friends were doing it. It drives home the point that our integrity is our own to be in or out of alignment with based on decisions we alone make.

There are moments in life where we are faced with decisions to violate or stay aligned with our integrity. If Mark is as "good" a guy as some say - he fell flat on his face with this one. He has been accountable (questionable as to if that was of his own accord or forced because he was caught), but as mentioned earlier - has he made restitution to those he harmed? Did he receive financial rewards for his actions? Did he share as much of the story as he knew with those prosecuting the case to help fill in the blanks of the destroyed records?

I am first in line for forgiveness. It is not my place to judge others. Forgiveness also allows me to live with a lighter heart. I have a retail business and people have stolen from me. I have forgiven all of them ( I have not communicated that to some as the forgiveness first and foremost is about my freedom from their actions). I also have not allowed them back into a position where they could steal from me again. I was shilled by Mastro auctions (1time that I caught them in and refused to pay for the lot that the prior night it said I was outbid on). I am sure I was shilled other times as well. I forgive them. I also don't/wouldn't choose to do business with them again when they finish their time.

I don't know mark nor choose to judge him. I pray that he has learned from his mistakes and will find it easier to stay aligned with his integrity. I am uncomfortable that he has a position in an auction house I have bid with recently.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:01 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Hopefully everyone here has read the available list of shill bidders closely enough to know that Mark isn't the only former Mastro employee who is now at Heritage.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:05 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Cut to the chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
Hopefully everyone here has read the available list of shill bidders closely enough to know that Mark isn't the only former Mastro employee who is now at Heritage.
I read the list. Who else is on it that is at heritage now?

Who is Jennifer stein? Paired up with Irv Lerner a lot on the list - shilled me at least once on the list!
Old 05-12-2018, 10:33 AM
Anthøny N. ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post

Who is Jennifer stein? Paired up with Irv Lerner a lot on the list - shilled me at least once on the list!
His hair stylist?
Old 05-12-2018, 01:04 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Here is a Hun I found when I googled it... Hi Barry ��
Barry, I must say you have aged well but the role of Hans Solo was filled years ago, and what does Chewbacca collect? Star Wars cards, I expect. And contrary to rumors Atilla did not sack Rome. That was the job of another Visigoth. Interested Net 54'ers will have to look up the answer. Asking Siri doesn't count. Remember, I taught history at Norman Thomas High on the East Side of Manhattan.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:16 PM
Mel Quatt.lebaum

Default Why hire

I never bid in a Mastro auction so not a real victim but I still can’t understand why a big, diverse, international auction house would make such a hire. Aren’t they bonded and insured, which should have a negative impact on those cost. Don’t they have any type of mentoring program where they can hire a suitable, non convicted candidate from within?
Old 05-12-2018, 09:35 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
+1
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:55 AM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post

You mention Irv Lerner/Jennifer Stein partnership shill bid you once - there are about sixty other lots they shill bid that are recorded on that document.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:35 PM
Howard Chasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrys View Post
You mention Irv Lerner/Jennifer Stein partnership shill bid you once - there are about sixty other lots they shill bid that are recorded on that document.
I saw that. I know who Irv Lerner is - wondering who Jennifer stein is. Interesting how they switch rolls - sometimes consignor, sometimes shil bidder.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:34 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default Disturbing

Irv lerner was a hobby “legend “ but he always struck me as just about the meanest guy who ever lived. I know others felt differently about him but the mastro info is not a great legacy.

Tim
Old 05-13-2018, 09:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn1 View Post
Irv lerner was a hobby “legend “ but he always struck me as just about the meanest guy who ever lived. I know others felt differently about him but the mastro info is not a great legacy.

Tim
Was he the one allegedly selling bad rings or am I thinking of someone else?

Old 05-15-2018, 09:56 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Following orders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
The Nuremberg Defense. Awesome.

There's also a big difference between "making a mistake" and doing the same illegal behavior over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...you get the point.

It's an absolute joke he got another job with an auction house and an even bigger joke that people on here are defending that.
Ya know when I first started practicing medicine I had very few patients and I earned money to pay all the bills by filling various posts. I did endoscopy procedures on Fridays for a Community Health Center. I was the Chief Medical Officer of the Floral-Park Bellerose Schools. As such I had to attend all the Varsity games. One year, in a playoff game, the team's best player injured his knee. The kid and the coach wanted to keep playing. I took him out of the game. The irate coach told me to play the kid or he'd make sure I wasn't back the next School year. I took the player to the locker room and iced his knee.....I wasn't re-hired.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:36 AM
Howard Chasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantlefan View Post
Ya know when I first started practicing medicine I had very few patients and I earned money to pay all the bills by filling various posts. I did endoscopy procedures on Fridays for a Community Health Center. I was the Chief Medical Officer of the Floral-Park Bellerose Schools. As such I had to attend all the Varsity games. One year, in a playoff game, the team's best player injured his knee. The kid and the coach wanted to keep playing. I took him out of the game. The irate coach told me to play the kid or he'd make sure I wasn't back the next School year. I took the player to the locker room and iced his knee.....I wasn't re-hired.
The path of integrity is often not the easiest to follow, but always the right one.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:23 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
You would have done well as an NFL team doctor.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:55 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
People should be given second chances in life but not allowed back in the same industry where they committed a crime.

I was shilled by Mastro and I can never forgive anyone who has ripped me off. I worked very hard my whole life to make a living. I am not going to forgive someone who stole money from me.

We should be trying to clean the hobby up. We are not here to give second chances to people who took advantage of us.

I have been a customer of Heritage for several years and now am having second thoughts after hearing who they hired.

There is also the the issue of 'fool me once shame on you....

If someone gets burned by Heritage now due to something caused by Theo, its not like Heritage can claim they didnt know about him when hiring him so I am sure they assessed the risk and find him a good risk. They will be in the line of fire.

Im all for giving people 2nd chances as well especially if they go into trouble as a teenager like someone said in this thread

with that being said, i am into giving people first chances too who may not have an opportunity due to someone being given a second chance...plus the reason the person may be given a second chance is because of unique knowledge and networking that may of partially be gained due to being part of a conspiracy/criminal enterprise. They can be all cleaned up now, but the fact they got all this information puts them ahead of someone trying to get a a first chance. Again i am talking generally.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 05-16-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:50 AM
Tom Boblitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
His hair stylist?
TOUCHE.......or should I say TOUPE?
Old 05-16-2018, 06:01 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default uh...

I don't imagine Mark T. is a teenager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
There is also the the issue of 'fool me once shame on you....

If someone gets burned by Heritage now due to something caused by Theo, its not like Heritage can claim they didnt know about him when hiring him so I am sure they assessed the risk and find him a good risk. They will be in the line of fire.

Im all for giving people 2nd chances as well especially if they go into trouble as a teenager like someone said in this thread

with that being said, i am into giving people first chances too who may not have an opportunity due to someone being given a second chance...plus the reason the person may be given a second chance is because of unique knowledge and networking that may of partially be gained due to being part of a conspiracy/criminal enterprise. They can be all cleaned up now, but the fact they got all this information puts them ahead of someone trying to get a a first chance. Again i am talking generally.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:55 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
I have been in a position where, like you, I was pressured to do something that violated my integrity in the course of my professional duties. Refusing could potentially cost me my job. I refused. It's not always easy to do the right thing but it IS always the right thing to do the right thing.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:08 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajg View Post
When the book or movies is written it should be called "The Big Shill"
I was thinking “Crime Pays”.
...whatever I want
Old 05-18-2018, 07:32 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote: