NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-14-2019, 12:11 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Glenn—Ken’s collection is more condition rarities than really rare cards. He has the trimmed Wagner, a PSA 10 ‘52 Topps Mantle, and other high grade cards such as the M101-5 Thorpe, a nice, albeit blank back, M101 Ruth, etc. None of the rarest cards in the hobby are in his collection.
Oh, okay. [yawn]
Old 06-14-2019, 12:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
Yes, Thanks Peter. Always the voice of reason around here.
Credit goes to the BO guys who have found all these cards and identified the bad certs, as well as to the person who contacted the Times reporter.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:24 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Credit goes to the BO guys who have found all these cards and identified the bad certs, as well as to the person who contacted the Times reporter.
Credit to all of you.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott L. View Post
Kudos to you Peter and the other board member.

Indeed
Old 06-14-2019, 12:37 PM

Default NY Times

Quote:
Online today, hard copy tomorrow I am told.

You would think they could have found a better source for that comment about originality.

Gary denied everything, it seems. He was only looking for bumps.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/14/y...ype=collection
Peter - Did we honestly expect him to say “here’s my address...I’m guilty....come and get me and take me away to prison”???? As an extremely competent lawyer, you of all people know in this country it’s innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. We know the real deal, and we also know ANY card doctor will “go down swinging” before admitting full guilt.

Regards,
Joe T.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
Peter - Did we honestly expect him to say “here’s my address...I’m guilty....come and get me and take me away to prison”???? As an extremely competent lawyer, you of all people know in this country it’s innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. We know the real deal, and we also know ANY card doctor will “go down swinging” before admitting full guilt.

Regards,
Joe T.
I would have advised him not to speak to the press, and I think most lawyers would have done the same. This is the first time in history probably that Brent has not shot his mouth off so clearly that message was delivered to him.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-14-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:12 PM
Bob Davies

Thanks from me too, Peter. Appreciate your diligence on this (and other) topics. I hope this story grows larger and larger in terms of coverage.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:19 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
I would have advised him not to speak to the press, and I think most lawyers would have done the same. This is the first time in history probably that Brent has not shot his mouth off so clearly that message was delivered to him.
Gary’s denials are not really helpful to him, not sure what he was thinking. I’m guessing he doesn’t have a lawyer. Meanwhile, Peter has been consistently vocal on this trimming issue for 13 years and counting and deserves all the praise. It’s not easy to have the same inane argumente day after day, year after year on these obvious issues of fraud, with financially interested people who will swear the moon is made of green cheese im order to make an extra buck.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:58 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Glenn—Ken’s collection is more condition rarities than really rare cards. He has the trimmed Wagner, a PSA 10 ‘52 Topps Mantle, and other high grade cards such as the M101-5 Thorpe, a nice, albeit blank back, M101 Ruth, etc. None of the rarest cards in the hobby are in his collection.
I harsh assessment of what by almost any standard is at worst one of the top 2 or 3 collections in the world, at least as far as I'm aware. The article is actually referring to what are generally accepted as the top 25 cards in the hobby in terms of value, significance, and popularity. Keep in mind this article was written by a journalist who obviously doesn't collect. A few details are bound to be incorrect.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:59 PM
Banned

congratulations to peter on joining the 1 percent
Old 06-14-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I harsh assessment of what by almost any standard is at worst one of the top 2 or 3 collections in the world, at least as far as I'm aware. The article is actually referring to what are generally accepted as the top 25 cards in the hobby in terms of value, significance, and popularity. Keep in mind this article was written by a journalist who obviously doesn't collect. A few details are bound to be incorrect.
Jay stated condition rarities. Not too hard to comprehend.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:21 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Jesse, I never said his cards are not valuable; I just said that they are not rare.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:23 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenItWasAHobby View Post
Notwithstanding the lame rhetoric by Orlando and Moser and the mute response by Huigens, I'm glad to see this scandal is making national news. The more publicity, the more pressure will be put on PSA to proactively address the problem. Great work Peter!

By the way, has anyone heard from Michael O'Keefe of the New York Daily News? He was the lone voice in the wilderness in the media many years ago on hobby news like this.
Mr. O'Keefe, as was the case with most of the Daily News staff was laid off years ago. He's out of the sports card reporting business.

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 06-14-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:38 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroncc View Post
Jay stated condition rarities. Not too hard to comprehend.
I understand what Jay wrote. It's your comprehension of my statement that needs improvement.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:23 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

If Moser was looking for just bumps the certs would be the same....

I bet the feds can pull some of his fingerprints off them.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:29 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Patrick-I don't think that is so. His best chance for a bump, even if he did nothing to the card, would be to break it out and resubmit it. That would generate a new certificate number.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:36 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Jesse, I never said his cards are not valuable; I just said that they are not rare.
I never said you did. Rare is a relative term but some of his cards are what most would consider rare.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:41 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:

You would think they could have found a better source for that comment about originality.
Yeah, that guy did not come across well

Last edited by Tabe; 06-14-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:45 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

Quote:
Patrick-I don't think that is so. His best chance for a bump, even if he did nothing to the card, would be to break it out and resubmit it. That would generate a new certificate number.
Ah, gotcha. Wasn't considering that. I was thinking, if he submitted as reviews, and they were bumped, the certs would remain the same.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
Not really the rarest (unless you consider them the rarest for their condition?), but certainly some of the most valuable.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...on-on-exhibit/
Thanks for the link. I love that he has the D Backs collection on all flips. Very smart. Even if determined to be altered, the cards are still from Kendrick's D Backs collection, which will make them valuable (exactly like the “Gretzky Wagner”).
Old 06-14-2019, 04:56 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Rare is a relative term but some of his cards are what most would consider rare.
I think rarity is an absolute term in this context and just the inverse of population, so if there are 70 T206 Wagners that makes the card more rare than one of his cards with 100 copies but less rare than one of his cards with 10 copies, doesn't it?
Old 06-14-2019, 04:57 PM
“the bambino”

Peter, does the fact that Moser actually commented indicate he hasn’t lawyered up yet? If he has surely he would have been advised to shut his pie hole. And if I see hundreds of doctored cards on the net linked to me, I’m buying the best attorney i can find, which should be a pretty damn good one considering the sheer volume of cards outed on BO and the funds that appear to be coming in faster than he can can count it.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:00 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth_rookie View Post
Peter, does the fact that Moser actually commented indicate he hasn’t lawyered up yet? If he has surely he would have been advised to shut his pie hole. And if I see hundreds of doctored cards on the net linked to me, I’m buying the best attorney i can find, which should be a pretty damn good one considering the sheer volume of cards outed on BO and the funds that appear to be coming in faster than he can can count it.
I'm not surprised by what he said, but that talk to a NYT reporter
Old 06-14-2019, 05:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth_rookie View Post
I can only speculate, I don't know Gary or have any idea really what he has or hasn't done on that front. All I can say is that if I had a client accused of similar acts, I am pretty sure I would advise him not to respond to press inquiries.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-14-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:19 PM
“the bambino”

Quote:
I can only speculate, I don't know Gary or have any idea really what he has or hasn't done on that front. All I can say is that if I had a client accused of similar acts, I am pretty sure I would advise him not to respond to press inquiries.
Regardless, I’m betting he’ll have to obtain counsel at some point. Based on his comment he’ll probably plead not guilty, and his arrogance tells me odds are he’ll take the stand in his own defense. Can’t wait to watch him get chewed up and spit out on cross examination.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:21 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
I think rarity is an absolute term in this context and just the inverse of population, so if there are 70 T206 Wagners that makes the card more rare than one of his cards with 100 copies but less rare than one of his cards with 10 copies, doesn't it?
I mean, I don’t believe there are many Wagners floating around in that condition. Nor any other of his cards for that matter. He has some of most difficult to obtain cards in existence.

Last edited by jhs5120; 06-14-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:42 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Doesn't your example show rare to be a relative term? 1 card is considered rare relative to another, yet common when compared to a 3rd card rarer than them both.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 06-14-2019 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:46 PM
“the bambino”

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
I mean, I don’t believe there are many Wagners floating around in that condition. Nor any other of his cards for that matter. He has some of most difficult to obtain cards in existence.
Especially in high grade. His PSA 9 CJ Shoeless Joe is absolutely sick.

Last edited by ruth_rookie; 06-14-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:00 PM
Mike Ryan

Ken Kendricks has tripled his money on that "TRIMMED WAGNER" card.

I hope the NYT will report when and where the upcoming "Altered Card Fire Sale" will be.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:03 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Mr. O'Keefe, as was the case with most of the Daily News staff was laid off years ago. He's out of the sports card reporting business.

Rich
Mike quickly was hired by Newsday in New York and is doing well.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:24 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Doesn't your example show rare to be a relative term? 1 card is considered rare relative to another, yet common when compared to a 3rd card rarer than them both.
Yes, in the same sense that tall is a relative term, but I wouldn't claim to be the tallest person in the world when others are objectively taller than I.

Maybe we're in agreement here. I guess my point is just that rarest is not a relative term.

Last edited by darwinbulldog; 06-14-2019 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:39 PM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I certainly prefer no politics on our forum. That said, when I was growing up I always thought the papers should just report the news and not take a political stand. I quit taking our paper, after many years, when they got all political. All that said, lets refrain from political commentary. This place has enough craziness already.

Back to the article, it is very good but it would have been nice to go a bit deeper on it. It didn't make the situation sound as bad as it really is, to me.
I am happy the article was in NYT -that’s great. But i'm disappointed that it makes the issue sound like it is a matter of taste whether a trimmed or deciliter card is graded highly. It doesn’t do justice to the fact that PSA is incompetent to find alteration.

Last edited by Bram99; 06-14-2019 at 10:15 PM. Reason: typo like typeo
Old 06-14-2019, 07:02 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Yes, in the same sense that tall is a relative term, but I wouldn't claim to be the tallest person in the world when others are objectively taller than I.

Maybe we're in agreement here. I guess my point is just that rarest is not a relative term.
Yea it was just an oversight in the article. I would assume the 25 rarest cards all have 1 or 2 copies in existence and also that I have never heard of most of them. But the comment that he just has a collection of condition rarities was an unnecessarily harsh description of what I personally believe is the finest collection I've ever seen or heard of. Even if that's not the way it was intended to read.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:30 PM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Quote:

Gary denied everything, it seems. He was only looking for bumps.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/14/y...ype=collection
I have read it several times. So disappointing. Great job by Peter but the author totally misses the point and portrays the situation as a legitimate debate over whether restoration and alternation is ok, rather than about the intentional misrepresentation by card doctors and the incompetence of PSA and others. If this is the best of the coverage, the "scandal" will be largely a yawn. If this scandal is to become more than a tempest in the Net54 and BO teacup, then something different will have to be written, or a follow-up on arrests will have to follow.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:56 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram99 View Post
I have read it several times. So disappointing. Great job by Peter but the author totally misses the point and portrays the situation as a legitimate debate over whether restoration and alternation is ok, rather than about the intentional misrepresentation by card doctors and the incompetence of PSA and others. If this is the best of the coverage, the "scandal" will be largely a yawn. If this scandal is to become more than a tempest in the Net54 and BO teacup, then something different will have to be written, or a follow-up on arrests will have to follow.
Very well said!

I wish the article included verbiage of the undeniable tampering, as documented on BO over and over again. Was there even one reference to the "before and after" photos on BO? I would think that a general audience would be interested to see examples of just how these cards were identified as altered.

Well at least it's a start.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:10 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
NYT is complete Bird Cage Paper but I might buy one tomorrow ...
Both of my birds are Independents
Old 06-15-2019, 08:07 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
Both of my birds are Independents
La Cage Aux Folles perhaps?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:56 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Props to Peter! Now if only we could get that quote on a net54 t-shirt. I'd totally buy it.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:15 AM
Johnny MaZilli

To me this is article is all about the Vast Differences

Alteration/Fraud Why Because Cards Are made By a Machine not a Human!!
Art is a done by human being, restoration is acceptable if disclosed ....
That’s the point I wish people would get through their heads ....

Last edited by Johnny630; 06-16-2019 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:12 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
To me this is article is all about the Vast Differences

Alteration/Fraud Why Because Cards Are made By a Machine not a Human!!
Art is a done by human being, restoration is acceptable if disclosed ....
That’s the point I wish people would get through their heads ....
Comic books are made by a machine and alterations are acceptable.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

The Times story was reprinted today in the Houston Chronicle, apparently. As well as the Sunday edition of the Times. So whatever our disagreements or disappointments with the focus, presumably more collectors will know there are issues.

https://www.pressreader.com/

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-16-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:48 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
The Times story was reprinted today in the Houston Chronicle, apparently. As well as the Sunday edition of the Times. So whatever our disagreements or disappointments with the focus, presumably more collectors will know there are issues.

https://www.pressreader.com/

Well done Peter
Old 06-16-2019, 02:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Well done Peter
I had nothing to do with it. Again, the credit for all this belongs with the person who alerted the Times to the story and the guys doing the detective work outing altered cards. My only contribution was to take a phone call and try to explain the issues to a guy who didn't have much background.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-16-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:21 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
I had nothing to do with it. Again, the credit for all this belongs with the person who alerted the Times to the story and the guys doing the detective work outing altered cards. My only contribution was to take a phone call and try to explain the issues to a guy who didn't have much background.
It would be great if this story makes it on the National Nightly News casts or the prime time big 3 cable News Stations Wednesday night before the National.

How many collectors and investors are going to continue to be ignorant to PSA’s ability to accurately grade cards ?

Last edited by Johnny630; 06-16-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:26 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
It would be great if this story makes it on the National Nightly News casts or the prime time big 3 cable News Stations Wednesday night before the National.

How many collectors and investors are going to continue to be ignorant to PSA’s ability to accurately grade cards ?
Doesn't feel like a nightly news story. It's a long shot, but maybe 60 Minutes.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:55 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Originally, the movie was called "4.5"...

7701013f86bb82b983aa52b624aa0041--celebrity-bikini-bodies-the-beach.jpg

But then the Moser/PWCC film company got a hold of the project and used all sorts of filters and editing in post-production to turn her into something to look at...

o-BO-DEREK-10-900.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:32 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Excellent!

And I think Shallow Hal would agree. Rumor has it that he's now a grader for PSA.

(Hopefully someone here remembers that movie )
Old 06-21-2019, 11:48 AM
Dave
David An.gelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...90614&page=110
Just keep scrolling forward or back. Hundreds of examples.
SWEET JESUS!
Hats off to the people who did the investigative work.
PWCC eneds to go.
PSA needs ...to....i don't know?
I'm done buying cards over 6!
Old 06-22-2019, 04:30 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post

Rich
Michael O Keefe is now with Newsday. I offered him information on a story about the hobby but he told me that his newspaper would not have been interested.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 06-22-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:35 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
NYT is complete Bird Cage Paper but I might buy one tomorrow ...
Gee whiz, I wonder what they will now do with their 127 Pulitzer Prizes, including two this year. And I am sure more will be awarded to them.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 06-22-2019 at 04:47 PM.