NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-05-2011, 05:49 PM

Default Gonna move inherited collection. Worth?

I've had these cards in a cigar box for the past 20 years and want to move them. They are legit, as when they were my mom's, I sold a few high end ones(3 Ruth's and a couple others) for her at a trade show in Michigan. Watching American pickers I realized someone who REALLY appreciates them should own them. I have about 100 1933 Goudy's in fairly good shape. 1934 Goudy's about 50 of just average players and 69 of the Batter Ups. Sport Kings I have about 10 more than the ones pictured. I'm also trying to figure out if the oddball card with the Washington Cap is anything?

What's the best way to go about selling them and how much are the higher end ones worth? I just don't wanna be ripped off, but don't overvalue either. The couple marks seen on the middle Ruth and on Gehrig are like pen indentations without ink.

img095.jpg

img096.jpg

img097.jpg

img098.jpg
Old 01-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Matt Wieder

First of all, send the ones valued at $100+ in to either PSA or SGC for grading. You'll make back much more then the grading fees when you sell. As far as sales venue, it's dependent on how much effort you want to put into it - you can use the BST forum here which won't cost you anything but will be the most labor intensive. Then you have self service options like GrandSlamBids and eBay which automate an auction process for you, but take a percentage, or you can consign themn to an auction house and not have to worry about anything as far as listing and shipping, but they will take approximately 15-20%.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:59 PM
David M.

I think Matt gave you very good advice, and from the looks of it, everything you posted is worth at least $100. You may not have the money to get everything graded, in which case, you may want to only grade a handful at a time, figure out the value, and sell on the Buy/Sell/Trade section on this board. These should all sell quickly.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Frank Wakefield

Contact Bill Goodwin. He'll get them graded for you, and get them in his auction. He'll make sure that collectors after those cards know about their availability. And he'll get you good prices for the cards, without you having to join something or mail anything or pay a bunch of fees.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Contact Bill Goodwin. ...And he'll get you good prices for the cards, without you having to join something or mail anything or pay a bunch of fees.
I'm pretty sure Goodwin takes at least 17.5% in fees and you'll have to mail him the cards as well, unless your at a show he is attending, but you'd be able to hand deliver to PSA/SGC at a show as well.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:00 PM

Thanks for all the advice. Theres a few people I've been put in touch with already, so I'll get a feel. I counted 218 1933 Goudy's, 45 1934 Goudy's, 68 Batters Up cards and 15 Sport Kings. Also some Sky King cards with a couple Charles Lindbergh's.
Does anyone have an idea of the one oddball card with the gold and maroon trim?
Old 01-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Pretty sure it depicts Joe Cronin, what is on the back of that card?
-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 01-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Frank Wakefield

I sell with Goodwin. You can contact him and haggle on the fees. If you have good stuff he'll cut you a break, I'd think. Tell him I sent you. Some naysayers here who've never sold anything with him think they know all about him. They should sell something with him, see how that goes, then offer an opinion. I've sold with several folks, including him several times. He's selling some cards for me right now. And that stuff about having to mail him the cards isn't true...

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 01-05-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Brian T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinrob View Post
Thanks for all the advice. Theres a few people I've been put in touch with already, so I'll get a feel. I counted 218 1933 Goudy's, 45 1934 Goudy's, 68 Batters Up cards and 15 Sport Kings. Also some Sky King cards with a couple Charles Lindbergh's.
Does anyone have an idea of the one oddball card with the gold and maroon trim?
Looks like Joe Cronin. The era and team fit him too. Not sure on the issue. What does the back of the card have on it?
Old 01-05-2011, 09:26 PM

Nothing on back of the card, but it's a little thinner cardboard but more rigid.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:09 PM
J@son M1ller

Looks like maybe it's a supplement or a premium that was trimmed down to match the size of the other cards in the collection?
Old 01-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default any of our advertisers are good

I would highly recommend any of the companies advertising on net54. You found us. I would imagine a few others find us too.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Jeff

Default Sell them on the BST

If available, I would be interested in the Sport Kings Eddie Shore. I also sent you a PM.

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 01-06-2011, 06:56 AM
Robert Williams

Interested in Eddie Shore, Walter Hagen & Ty Cobb....pm sent as well.....
Old 01-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Bob Beck

I would not bother with any of the auction houses unless you had an incredible low population card. I think Ebay is your best bet after grading Goudeys, Batter-Ups and Sports Kings as you can set whatever level you would like and not have to worry about selling to cheap,or you can just let them go at whatever the market bears. 33 Goudey Ruths actually can do better on Ebay then with the major houses. I just bought a beautiful PSA 5 33 Ruth from Huggins and Scott (they described it perfectly to their credit) under SMR with the premium which rarely ever happens on ebay. The 33 Goudey market and The Batter-Ups are very soft right now and giving them to an auction house,especially in bulk lots will not maximize your dollars. They will probably just end up in some dealer's inventory

Last edited by bbeck; 01-07-2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: mis mis
Old 01-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Marc S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeck View Post
I would not bother with any of the auction houses unless you had an incredible low population card. I think Ebay is your best bet after grading Goudeys, Batter-Ups and Sports Kings as you can set whatever level you would like and not have to worry about selling to cheap,or you can just let them go at whatever the market bears. 33 Goudey Ruths actually can do better on Ebay then with the major houses. I just bought a beautiful PSA 5 33 Ruth from Huggins and Scott (they described it perfectly to their credit) under SMR with the premium which rarely ever happens on ebay. The 33 Goudey market and The Batter-Ups are very soft right now and giving them to an auction house,especially in bulk lots will not maximize your dollars. They will probably just end up in some dealer's inventory

I think Ebay charges about 9% in selling fees, which is not much less than consigning, particularly if you negotiate down. Also, on Ebay, unless you have a good selling history and noted DSRs, you may not attract a good set of bidders. I do not think Ebay is the best avenue here unless you are already a Power Seller. I would recommend consignment.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Bob Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan View Post
I think Ebay charges about 9% in selling fees, which is not much less than consigning, particularly if you negotiate down. Also, on Ebay, unless you have a good selling history and noted DSRs, you may not attract a good set of bidders. I do not think Ebay is the best avenue here unless you are already a Power Seller. I would recommend consignment.
I do agree that the powersellers do better on ebay (ebay's fee scale is sliding on the percentage they take. On higher priced items like the Ruth's, Gehrig's or block lots they only take 4% (final bids over $1,500), much better than the 17.5- 20% from auction houses, plus that does not include the sell side commission unless you can negotiate to 0. I am tainted because I have had some awful experiences with auction houses including one house that lied regarding sending payment and admitted it, identical Ruth signed photos in the same auction in another, an item that was sold and then went for $1,400 more a few weeks later on ebay by the dealer/buyer (Low population 1962 PSA 8 George Witt). I can go on, those are the breaks. You win some and you lose some. I guess the point I am trying to make to this potential seller is that the market is a bit soft on these issues and giving it to an auction house would have dealers drooling. I follow the Goudey market religiously. Auction houses are great for many items but it is a crapshoot with goudeys and batter-ups. Why not protect yourself? Their is actually an ebay seller who has reasonable rates and outperforms many auction houses (prewarcardseller). He has a tremendous following. That may be another option.

Last edited by bbeck; 01-06-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: spell
Old 01-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Rich Klein

Default Many auction houses

Including B&L do not charge the seller that high commission to sell, especially graded cards, so you might want to check with Leon about B&L's policies and I think you will be pleasantly surprised

Regards
Rich
Old 01-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default thanks Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Including B&L do not charge the seller that high commission to sell, especially graded cards, so you might want to check with Leon about B&L's policies and I think you will be pleasantly surprised

Regards
Rich
Thanks Rich...I try not to promote more than I do with the banner ad etc..,on the board. That being said we always charge 0% for sellers and 12.5% buyers premium. We have always paid consignors within approx 2 weeks....It's really not rocket science. We sell, we pay the hammer price to the consignor....
We are about as cheap (or cheaper) than ebay with a great, dedicated following. Another auction coming in 4 weeks..... ..nuff said. regards
Old 01-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan View Post
I think Ebay charges about 9% in selling fees, which is not much less than consigning, particularly if you negotiate down.
The fees are capped at $50. So if you sell an item for $2,000, it ends up being 2.5%.

I think the best way is to get the good ones graded, lookup the past sales in VCP, make a good determination of the fair selling price based on the most recent sales and whether the card is better or worse than the technical grade, then list it on the B/S/T page at 5% less knowing you won't pay any commissions. Win/win all around.