NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Mike Bodner

Default Starting a 1953 Glendale Tigers Set-any advice?

Working in a few Detroit area card shops in the 80's I was intrigued by these cards the few times they came in. I have decided to finally start the set and am seeking to further my education on these. Any under rated cards as far as scarcity that I should not let pass over others when available? Any other insight is appreciated as well. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Dave Foster

The set isn't necessarily rare or scarce, as they are out there. That said, cards don't come up that often. In short, if you see one that's decent, buy it, even fillers. You'll need lots of patience to do a set and lots of $ in better grades. Most of what you'll find are collector grade with stains, soft corners and creases. If you are looking to do a set in 6 or better, it will set you back and take a long time. The Houtteman is super tough. Good Luck!
Old 01-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Dave Foster

In case you missed it, check this site: www.jvscauctions.com

There are two SGC 30 Glendales. More info is on Leon's post re: this new AH on the N54 top forum.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Mike

It's a tough Regional set but doable now that ebay exists. In the "old days" it would take years to complete. Not many sets exist. Only 28 cards, with Houtteman being the toughest but is available on ebay ( big price range) ! I found the Ginsberg card also more difficult than the others. You will need a lot of money if looking for a higher card set. Not many of the cards are graded more than (1-3) due to the staining from the packaging process with Hot Dogs. You should be able to find most of the commons in low grade for under $100 if patient. Houtteman will be over $1000 in any grade. Kuenn is not a common and is priced accordingly. See attached set with 2 extra Houtteman's. I have one for sale on ebay .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glendale set.jpg (75.5 KB, 327 views)
Old 01-09-2013, 08:53 AM
Mike Bodner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
The set isn't necessarily rare or scarce, as they are out there. That said, cards don't come up that often. In short, if you see one that's decent, buy it, even fillers. You'll need lots of patience to do a set and lots of $ in better grades. Most of what you'll find are collector grade with stains, soft corners and creases. If you are looking to do a set in 6 or better, it will set you back and take a long time. The Houtteman is super tough. Good Luck!
Thanks for the info! I will probably get PSA 1's to 3's. I don't mind the creases, staple holes and wear as long as the card is bright and decent looking. Getting a Houtteman may take a while!

Quote:
In case you missed it, check this site: www.jvscauctions.com

There are two SGC 30 Glendales. More info is on Leon's post re: this new AH on the N54 top forum.
Thanks! I did take the time to check out the site and was please to see two Glendales!

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
It's a tough Regional set but doable now that ebay exists. In the "old days" it would take years to complete. Not many sets exist. Only 28 cards, with Houtteman being the toughest but is available on ebay ( big price range) ! I found the Ginsberg card also more difficult than the others. You will need a lot of money if looking for a higher card set. Not many of the cards are graded more than (1-3) due to the staining from the packaging process with Hot Dogs. You should be able to find most of the commons in low grade for under $100 if patient. Houtteman will be over $1000 in any grade. Kuenn is not a common and is priced accordingly. See attached set with 2 extra Houtteman's. I have one for sale on ebay .
Thanks for the tips! It's good to know when deciding on a few available to really consider the Ginsberg. Your set looks great! I really like bright clean cards. To see three Houtteman cards at once is impressive! Your display is sharp as well! Did you make that? I will want to display my set like that also.

Last edited by Gmrson; 01-09-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:57 PM
Mike

Good luck going after the Glendale set and keep us posted of your progress.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:45 AM
Larry

Quote:
Well said, although I would certainly consider it scarce.

Best of luck,

Larry
Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Mike Bodner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
Well said, although I would certainly consider it scarce.

Best of luck,

Larry
Thanks! That made me think of a discussion my collecting friends and I had years ago about how there should be a "ranking" system like mint, nr-mt, ex-mt for rare, scarce, tough, difficult, etc. Glendales are scarce, or maybe tough? Funny thing is, I saw probably about 15 at the National last year but could not find 1 of the 40 or so 2011 Topps Heritage Baseball Bucks for my set. At 3-4 per case those are definatly tough!
Old 01-16-2013, 12:38 PM
Mike

Here's your chance to get started. His #1 auction ended last night with 2 glendales going for under $100 each. Here's is auction # 2 with 2 more glendales. http://www.jvscauctions.com/catalog.aspx Good luck.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:23 PM
Mike Bodner

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Here's your chance to get started. His #1 auction ended last night with 2 glendales going for under $100 each. Here's is auction # 2 with 2 more glendales. http://www.jvscauctions.com/catalog.aspx Good luck.
Thanks Mike! I was watching those, but have two I hope to close the deal for in a few days. I wish I had the extra fundage to bid last night. Those were really nice cards! Thanks again for the update!

Nice cards...I can't tell if Madison had gray teeth or someone got creative!?

Last edited by Gmrson; 01-16-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Dave Foster

Joe's #2 auction - current - has a couple more.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:43 AM
Mike Bodner

Quote:
Joe's #2 auction - current - has a couple more.
Thanks! Those are nice cards. I should have my first 2 purchased this weekend, but hopefully I can get one of those in the auction as well.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

I always thought these were real nice cards. Rodeo Meats too, Wilson's-I guess meat card art hit a peak in the mid 50's!

Anyone know who produced any of these sets? Was it Topps, Bowman or just some ad agency (which is how Bowman did things of course).
Old 01-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Mike Bodner

Picked up Owen Friend (very nice) and Harvey Kueen (rough filler) for $130. Will post pics when I receive them.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:12 PM
George Gogol

Congrats on the pick up. You know I'm a sucker for Harv. Can't wait to see them!
Old 01-31-2013, 05:46 PM
Mike Bodner

Quote:
Originally Posted by geor952 View Post
Congrats on the pick up. You know I'm a sucker for Harv. Can't wait to see them!
Check the Jan pickups thread that you posted on before