NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-28-2015, 09:58 AM
Gobucsmagic74

I'm not asking for anyone's sympathy or support on this one and furthermore understand Eric's frustration and those who feel my decision is/was dishonorable, but at the end of the day the card is mine to do with what I choose. If some of you don't agree and opt not to do business with me in the future then so be it. There are many, many other avenues available for selling cards at our collective disposal so losing this particular avenue to a percentage of the board is not going to influence my decision one way or another. Neither will anyone's opinion of me as a person, seller, or otherwise.

That said, I have already expressed to Eric that I will absolutely sell him the card (which I do indeed still possess) at the price we agreed upon once I am able to locate and secure a suitable replacement. I know many of you feel I should do that now, and although you are certainly entitled to that opinion, that is not the course I'm choosing to take with the card at this time. This will be my last comment on this particular subject, although I do reserve the right to defend myself against any additional erroneous accusations.

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 09-28-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:09 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
t I will absolutely sell him the card (which I do indeed still possess) at the price we agreed upon once I am able to locate and secure a replacement card.
Good grief. Bryce Harper would call this a "clown deal".

Personally, I don't see how holding on to it for a finite amount time outweighs the amount of crap you're taking here, but it's your life.

Also, as crappy as this situation is, it sounds like the OP is (or at least should be) more pissed at himself for hastily selling his card. I understanding wanting to get your cash out of it to help cushion the blow, but it could have waited two days til the new one showed up.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:10 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Good grief. Bryce Harper would call this a "clown deal".

Personally, I don't see how holding on to it for a finite amount time outweighs the amount of crap you're taking here, but it's your life.

Also, as crappy as this situation is, it sounds like the OP is (or at least should be) more pissed at himself for hastily selling his card. I understanding wanting to get your cash out of it to help cushion the blow, but it could have waited two days til the new one showed up.
The OP had every right to expect Dan would deliver the card as promised.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:32 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The OP had every right to expect Dan would deliver the card as promised.
100% agree
Old 09-28-2015, 10:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think it's one of these...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trainwreck.jpg (76.8 KB, 784 views)
Old 09-28-2015, 10:36 AM
Matt

BUST A DEAL, FACE THE WHEEL.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:39 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
As a long-time Seller on both EBay & right here on Net54, I can't imagine reneging on a deal once the $ had changed hands, EXCEPT if BOTH parties were in agreement to cancel.
Just to play devil's advocate here ......how come it is perfectly acceptable on Ebay for a buyer to purchase a card, send the money via paypal, and then have a change of heart and want to cancel the transaction?? A seller is never afforded the luxury of cancelling a transaction. That has happened to me there more times than I care to imagine. Is the BST held to a different standard than Ebay?? Again, just pondering here.....

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 09-28-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:13 AM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
I'm not asking for anyone's sympathy or support on this one and furthermore understand Eric's frustration and those who feel my decision is/was dishonorable, but at the end of the day the card is mine to do with what I choose. If some of you don't agree and opt not to do business with me in the future then so be it. There are many, many other avenues available for selling cards at our collective disposal so losing this particular avenue to a percentage of the board is not going to influence my decision one way or another. Neither will anyone's opinion of me as a person, seller, or otherwise.
Excellent. Count me among those who have no interest in ever doing business with you. Thanks in advance for your agreement never to bid on anything I might list in the BST. Life is too short to deal with people like you if it isn't absolutely necessary.

Last edited by Kenny Cole; 09-28-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:43 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:

That said, I have already expressed to Eric that I will absolutely sell him the card (which I do indeed still possess) at the price we agreed upon once I am able to locate and secure a suitable replacement. I know many of you feel I should do that now, and although you are certainly entitled to that opinion, that is not the course I'm choosing to take with the card at this time. This will be my last comment on this particular subject, although I do reserve the right to defend myself against any additional erroneous accusations.
That first paragraph is mind-blowing. So it's ok to continue this practice on other venues. I don't think those venues will be any more forgiving than net 54. Your apologies mean nothing when you still have it in your ability to make things right. You f'd him over, make things right and sell him the card as PROMISED and AGREED upon. Why should he be the one without the Mantle, you should be. Your actions and only your actions caused Eric to be without a card.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:45 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Maybe it's for the best-that bullsh*t centering on that Mantle would drive me nuts. He can find a much better example!
Old 09-28-2015, 04:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
Maybe it's for the best-that bullsh*t centering on that Mantle would drive me nuts. He can find a much better example!
At the same time it had no print lines, was not out of register, and didn't have big gum stains on the back.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:15 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I nearly posted on pg. 5 but didn't. Nine pages later, I feel the need to throw in my relatively meaningless two cents.

Life is so much simpler when people follow through and do what they say they'll do. What bothers me the most about this is I somehow feel this rattles a little bit of Net54's sanctity. I know that probably sounds over the top, however, this place has always had a safer, more ethical feel to it, especially compared to ebay. I have had great transactions on the B/S/T here as a buyer and seller. Net54 is a real community. I have always appreciated how fellow collectors here help each other out and just take care of one another. Stuff like this makes me feel as though the barbarians are lurking just outside of the city walls.

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 09-28-2015 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:18 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
I nearly posted on pg. 5 but didn't. Nine pages later, I feel the need to throw in my relatively meaningless two cents.

Life is so much simpler when people follow through and do what they say they'll do. What bothers me the most about this is I somehow feel this rattles a little bit of Net54's sanctity. I know that probably sounds over the top, however, this place has always had a safer, more ethical feel to it, especially compared to ebay. I have had great transactions on the B/S/T here as a buyer and seller. Net54 is a real community. I have always appreciated how fellow collectors here help each out and just take care of one another. Stuff like this makes me feel like the barbarians are lurking just outside of the city walls.
Perfectly said. We lose a bit of faith in the common man.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:34 PM
Luke Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post

Life is so much simpler when people follow through and do what they say they'll do. What bothers me the most about this is I somehow feel this rattles a little bit of Net54's sanctity. I know that probably sounds over the top, however, this place has always had a safer, more ethical feel to it, especially compared to ebay. I have had great transactions on the B/S/T here as a buyer and seller. Net54 is a real community. I have always appreciated how fellow collectors here help each other out and just take care of one another. Stuff like this makes me feel as though the barbarians are lurking just outside of the city walls.
This is really well stated. I love that we have this little community to trade and sell cards and talk about them. It really makes me mad when people take advantage of other members or screw others over for money. Like gobucmagic said, there are plenty of other places to do that. We don't need people like that here.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:28 PM
Charles
Charlie Ma.nn

Quote:
+1! Eric, there are over 1,000 51 Bowman Mantle cards graded higher just in PSA holders alone. WAIT for a better one to come along, you'll forget all about this one in a hurry!
Old 09-28-2015, 05:34 PM
Banned

Bucs decided to pass the hurt onto the next guy, and Cosmo honored his deal with the guy he sold his mantle to. He didn't pass the problem along to his customer that he came to an agreement with. Kudos. This is a study in contrast on how people behave in this hobby.

Cosmo did the right thing even though he is without a mantle now, and Bucs COULD have but decided to take the snakebelly/wagon wheel rut option.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:39 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Old 09-29-2015, 04:11 AM
Robert Williams

You're really late with the popcorn. The movie is over and everyone is discussing it. Move along unless you want to hear spoilers.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:42 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
the snakebelly/wagon wheel rut option.
Is that the one where we go a-ridin' into town, a-whompin' and a-whumpin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-30-2015, 03:24 PM
je.sse @rnot

I don't get why Dan just didn't honor the deal in the first place. Even though his deal fell through, obviously his plan was to sell this Mantle and upgrade (or down grade) to a different one. He sold it for what he felt was a fair price and already had the funds transferred.

Personally, I would have completed the transaction and used the money to find the Mantle I was looking for. Who cares if your collection is without a Mantle rookie for few days or weeks. I think looking back, Dan will realize it wasn't worth ruining his reputation on this board over this card.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:03 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Is that the one where we go a-ridin' into town, a-whompin' and a-whumpin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life?
+1 for the Blazing Saddles reference.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:05 AM
Dave

Quote:
Funny, I thought that Mantle looked fantastic for the grade, which is why I think it's causing such a problem between these two collectors.

There's a 3.5 that sold on Ebay for $300+ more, that looks half as good as this 3. I think this is one of those "buy the card, not the holder" examples.

Aesthetically I think Erik will have a hard time finding a similar card at a similar price, no matter how many of these are out there.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:31 PM
Pau.l C

Quote:

Some folks here value the sense of community @ N54 & greatly appreciate and respect the opportunity to buy/sell within said community.
You already sold Eric the card once at the agreed to price. You changed the rules of the transaction after he sent you a large sum of money.
shenanigans.jpg
Why Eric or anyone would consider buying from you in the future is beyond me.
Paul

Last edited by chernieto; 09-28-2015 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:03 PM
Scott Ti3k

[QUOTE=Gobucsmagic74;1456732]I'm not asking for anyone's sympathy or support on this one and furthermore understand Eric's frustration and those who feel my decision is/was dishonorable, but at the end of the day the card is mine to do with what I choose. If some of you don't agree and opt not to do business with me in the future then so be it. There are many, many other avenues available for selling cards at our collective disposal so losing this particular avenue to a percentage of the board is not going to influence my decision one way or another. Neither will anyone's opinion of me as a person, seller, or otherwise. QUOTE]

Any chance you could provide your ebay id and and your id on other venues so I can make sure I don't ever buy from you? I would hate to purchase something somewhere else only to have you change your mind.

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited by cardsfan73; 09-28-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:40 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
That said, I have already expressed to Eric that I will absolutely sell him the card (which I do indeed still possess) at the price we agreed upon once I am able to locate and secure a suitable replacement.
If we believe this statement, it precludes the possibility that Dan will sell (or has sold) this card to another person.

Part of me hopes Eric will agree to this, just to see if Dan follows through.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:38 AM

Here is Dan's latest PM... Now he was going to honor the deal but then realized there was no incentive to do so... How about "honor", "honesty", I could think of a lot of incentive....

"Many of you? C'mon Eric, lets not go overboard here. Take your money and find yourself a new Mantle, it really isn't that hard to do. Btw, I was literally seconds away from getting in touch with you and honoring the deal this morning until I read through the thread and realized there was absolutely zero incentive for me to do so. I am truly sorry things went down the way they did, but it's not the end of the world for either of us...even if I never make another deal on this board which is quite possible. "
Old 09-29-2015, 06:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmokramer View Post
Here is Dan's latest PM... Now he was going to honor the deal but then realized there was no incentive to do so... How about "honor", "honesty", I could think of a lot of incentive....

"Many of you? C'mon Eric, lets not go overboard here. Take your money and find yourself a new Mantle, it really isn't that hard to do. Btw, I was literally seconds away from getting in touch with you and honoring the deal this morning until I read through the thread and realized there was absolutely zero incentive for me to do so. I am truly sorry things went down the way they did, but it's not the end of the world for either of us...even if I never make another deal on this board which is quite possible. "
I never said I condoned anyone backing out of a deal. In, and of itself, that is not a bannable offense to me. But now, with that last statement of Dan's (hi Dan), and a bit of irony, he is no longer allowed on our BST......there ya' go. There was no incentive not to ban him from there....

Dan- nothing personal...

L
Old 09-29-2015, 07:19 AM
Al

I believe someone said it somewhere in the thread. Karma...

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 09-29-2015, 07:35 AM

Default Mantle

Maybe this could solve Cozmo's problems...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tmp_6488-1436456848-13503-222-1017520970.jpg (66.8 KB, 1054 views)

Smooth Transactions ezez420.frankbmd.northviewcats.t206hound.Beatles Guy.team-of-rivals.LukeLyon.ValKehl.Double-P-Enterprises.Hcom24.midmo.pow323.Tolstoi.WillowGrov e.Dougscats.t206Collector.cammb.pclpads.Jobu.eseho mbre.BocaBirdman, 38Goudeyman and many more
Old 09-29-2015, 07:44 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Sorry for everyone's pain, but I'm ready for this thread to be locked. Seller should have never offered and agreed to sell the card and then recant the offer. Buyer was reckless to sell the card he had in hand without receiving the new one…it's not like the Mick was going to have a bad off season. There's plenty of fault and plenty of opinions and I think they've all been expressed at this point.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:42 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmokramer View Post

i call that 'seconds away' comments instead of 'bargain hunters' like the tv show i call that 'excuse hunters'

i hear that with rentors all the time....'i was just about to pay rent' but then 'i heard you told my neighbor i owe rent' and thats not fair..so now i wont pay...

the fact is if you really are about to pay rent ..or about to honor the deal then you do it.....no reason to bring up excuses....if the deal or the rent was paid on time as agreed then more time would not have passed for more 'excuses' to come up..whether it be some posts on a thread on b/s/t or a nieghbor being told that you owed rent........you dig?

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 09-29-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:48 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Thank you for perpetuating the stereotype that everyone that deals in sports cards is just like the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:12 AM
Joel

I'd be upset as the buyer as well but I hope I'm not the only one that finds posting PM's troubling.

On most message boards I belong it's against the TOS to post private messages in the public forum.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:34 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I don't find it troubling whatsoever. I think as much information as possible is needed.

What I find troubling is that there have been other problems in the past with the same seller, but this is the first time it's been mentioned. These are the kinds of things that the board should know about so we can make wise informed purchasing decisions.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:04 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxcat View Post
Thank you for perpetuating the stereotype that everyone that deals in sports cards is just like the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons.
"You mean the card with the sideburns"

And off topic, any luck getting Mr. Culp to come on up for one of my shows. Eddie has a photo of him (not a great one as he is in a windbreaker) but we got something. ANd we'll obviously be able to come up with cards.

Let me know and see you next month.

Rich
Old 10-03-2015, 09:47 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
I'm not asking for anyone's sympathy or support on this one and furthermore understand Eric's frustration and those who feel my decision is/was dishonorable, but at the end of the day the card is mine to do with what I choose.
I don't normally get involved in stuff like that, but in the deal Luke referenced where you offered to sell him a card, I'll clear that up.

I agreed to sell you a card. You offered it for sell to Luke prior to my receiving payment or your receiving the card. What if Luke had agreed to your offer to sell my card to him and had sent you the money, and then I had 'pulled a Dan' and reneged on our deal? What you just did seems much worse than what I considered doing (but didn't), given that not only did you make the deal this time - you actually had the money in hand.

You have now played both sides and claimed that both are ethical. If everyone on the board did business like this, we would have no classified section.

edited for spelling - Whoops

Last edited by Runscott; 10-03-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:27 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I don't normally get involved in stuff like that, but in the deal Luke referenced where you offered to sell him a card, I'll clear that up.

I agreed to sell you a card. You offered it for sell to Luke prior to my receiving payment or your receiving the card. What if Luke had agreed to your offer to sell my card to him and had sent you the money, and then I had 'pulled a Dan' and reneged on our deal? What you just did seems much worse than what I considered doing (but didn't), given that not only did you make the deal this time - you actually had the money in hand.

You have now played both sides and claimed that both are ethical. If everyone on the board did business like this, we would have no classified section.

edited for spelling - Whoops
In your scenario I would have refunded Luke's money. Pretty simple. As far as the deal with Eric, I made a decision and accept the consequences of it.

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 10-03-2015 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:36 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
In your scenario I would have refunded Luke's money. Pretty simple. As far as the deal with Eric, I made a decision and accept the consequences of it.
I just wanted to clear up what happened. The consequences of your behavior are not something I'm concerned about.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:05 PM
Brendan Mullen

Agree. Kudos to Leon for taking quick, decisive action in trying to keep this forum free from scammers and scum bags.