NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-11-2018, 02:37 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Bill hopefully at some point they will be released, or with only minor redactions. That day is probably some time off. But even knowing what we know, and subject to the caveat about further proceedings which I noted in my post, it still seemed an event worthy of reporting and discussing. I would guess that if the defendant had a different name, we would be having a much livelier discussion.
Honestly, Peter, for my part, the name(s) involved don't have as much to do with my hesitancy to jump into this with both feet, though I could certainly see this being a factor with other posters who have had long-standing relationships with the co-defendants. I'm just somewhat leery of participating in discussions of legally determined guilt-where what we say becomes, in essence, part of public record-without knowing everything that transpired. Am I being overcautious? Probably. But absent complete information, it's too easy to misstate something, and get into hot water.

I'm probably rambling a bit, and it's possible I overreacted to Mark's post, too. I've never had any issue with him, but it sure seemed that he was being patronizing. I've been up 16 hours without sleep...

Mark, if I did misinterpret your comment, then I apologize.

Peter, I'll come back to this a little later tonight, after I've seen my pillow for a while. When I'm lucid again, I can tiptoe through my feelings on what's transpired, thus far.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:39 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

There was only one defendant. Neither of us are lawyers but I apparently have slept at more Holiday Inns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Honestly, Peter, for my part, the name(s) involved don't have as much to do with my hesitancy to jump into this with both feet, though I could certainly see this being a factor with other posters who have had long-standing relationships with the co-defendants. I'm just somewhat leery of participating in discussions of legally determined guilt-where what we say becomes, in essence, part of public record-without knowing everything that transpired. Am I being overcautious? Probably. But absent complete information, it's too easy to misstate something, and get into hot water.

I'm probably rambling a bit, and it's possible I overreacted to Mark's post, too. I've never had any issue with him, but it sure seemed that he was being patronizing. I've been up 16 hours without sleep...

Mark, if I did misinterpret your comment, then I apologize.

Peter, I'll come back to this a little later tonight, after I've seen my pillow for a while. When I'm lucid again, I can tiptoe through my feelings on what's transpired, thus far.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
There was only one defendant. Neither of us are lawyers but I apparently have slept at more Holiday Inns.
REA and Mr. Lifson were both defendants.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:11 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
REA and Mr. Lifson were both defendants.
Ok there were 2, my mistake. But I am pretty sure Bill was inferring the hobbyists knew both defendants and he meant Corey and Rob not meaning members knew Rob's other company....Bill originally, probably meant to say "litigants". But I am wrong, there were 2 defendants. More to come I am sure....
Old 05-11-2018, 03:14 PM
Rich Klein

Since several people in the discussion in the thread are from the DFW area we can hash this out in person. And I have the ideal venue, my next show on June 9-10 at the Comfort Inn and Suites Plano East. There is a nice sitting area where they serve the breakfasts and I'll be happy to facilitate the discussion.

Rich
Old 05-11-2018, 03:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Since several people in the discussion in the thread are from the DFW area we can hash this out in person. And I have the ideal venue, my next show on June 9-10 at the Comfort Inn and Suites Plano East. There is a nice sitting area where they serve the breakfasts and I'll be happy to facilitate the discussion.

Rich
There's a thread hijacking for the ages.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:27 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Nothing to see here . . . keep moving.

Can't we resume talking about suspected shilling of $100 cards at PWCC and cabals of unknown people reporting fake sales prices for items? Faceless people always far preferable than friends.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
I was a bit steamed when I wrote that, Leon. And my apologies for the F bomb.

What other forms of recourse are there besides civil court? Can an auction house and a complainant enter into binding arbitration?
Bill, sorry I missed your question, private parties can certainly agree to arbitrate almost any dispute, and I see no reason they could not have done so here. However, it's frequently the case that one side, or both, perceives that they will have the advantage with a jury. Parties can also enlist a mediator to help them try to resolve their dispute, and that's popular these days in certain types of cases and sometimes useful. Certainly both alternatives are more cost-effective.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-11-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:22 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I thought the suit was about Corey recovering what he paid for some trophy balls which were alleged to have been painted with a type of paint that did not exist in the 19th century? Am I wrong, or was this part of the suit dismissed?
Old 05-11-2018, 05:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Count I. The case went to trial on Count II.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:41 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
There's a thread hijacking for the ages.
I'd love to meet the Stache and Leon and Mdmtx have both attended. So why not take free publicity. Come on down to Texas yourself, you'd make money buying!

Rich
Old 05-11-2018, 05:49 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Rich-With all due respect, start a new thread.

Peter-Do you know if that count was settled or dismissed?
Old 05-11-2018, 05:58 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Bill, sorry I missed your question, private parties can certainly agree to arbitrate almost any dispute, and I see no reason they could not have done so here. However, it's frequently the case that one side, or both, perceives that they will have the advantage with a jury. Parties can also enlist a mediator to help them try to resolve their dispute, and that's popular these days in certain types of cases and sometimes useful. Certainly both alternatives are more cost-effective.
I'm not sure I agree with that. I don't have a problem mediating but I will never voluntarily participate in an arbitration. Yes, I am sure that the fees in this case were high. But that can also occur in a long, ugly arbitration. I have a friend who is arguing an appeal of an arbitration award he won in a business dispute at the 10th Circuit next week. Its been going on for years. His fees are huge, as are the fees of the other side's attorney, I'm sure. Plus, you also get to pay the fees of the arbitrator or the arbitration panel if there is more than one. I also think that process is skewed in favor of those who participate in arbitration frequently. No thanks. I'll take a jury any day.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Rich-With all due respect, start a new thread.

Peter-Do you know if that count was settled or dismissed?
As I understand it, summary judgment was entered on that count against Corey.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-11-2018 at 06:14 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-11-2018, 06:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
I'm not sure I agree with that. I don't have a problem mediating but I will never voluntarily participate in an arbitration. Yes, I am sure that the fees in this case were high. But that can also occur in a long, ugly arbitration. I have a friend who is arguing an appeal of an arbitration award he won in a business dispute at the 10th Circuit next week. Its been going on for years. His fees are huge, as are the fees of the other side's attorney, I'm sure. Plus, you also get to pay the fees of the arbitrator or the arbitration panel if there is more than one. I also think that process is skewed in favor of those who participate in arbitration frequently. No thanks. I'll take a jury any day.
The commercial arbitrations I have been involved in, and I am not saying they were inexpensive by any means, greatly streamlined the motion practice and massive discovery that make complex civil litigation so inordinately expensive. It may not be true in every instance, but assuming you have a dispute that isn't going to be resolved by dispositive motion or settlement, arbitration usually will end up costing less in my opinion. Now of course as you rightly point out there may be other reasons you would still prefer a jury or bench trial, no question.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-11-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:10 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
As I understand it, summary judgment was entered on that count.
So Corey won that count also?
Old 05-11-2018, 06:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
So Corey won that count also?
No, he lost it, summary judgment was entered against him. I believe the judge held there was a triable issue of fact on all elements of lulling fraud except the reasonableness of Corey's reliance, but I can't access the opinion. It was online at one point and that's my best memory.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-11-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:15 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Are the baseball challenge rules mediated in NYC more akin to an arbitration panel or a jury trial?

I would say an arbitration panel in NYC and a jury trial in the broadcast booth.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:27 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Jay,
Here are the allegations in paragraphs 29 and 30 of the First Amended Complaint brought by Corey.
Corey never bought the trophy balls where there was no sale with Nash. He bought others after that. The jury felt he relied on the false sale of the balls for future purchases, with clear and convincing evidence (according to the statute that had to be overcome). My guess is that if the transcripts ever come out they will be interesting to a few, myself included.

To summarize even more -
First count, for lulling him into giving up his claim against Mastro on the balls he did buy. Judge didn't buy it.
Second count, for manipulating the market and inducing him to overpay on other stuff. Jury bought it.

Hope that helps clear a little of this mess up. It is worth repeating that appeals are expected.

Quote:
I thought the suit was about Corey recovering what he paid for some trophy balls which were alleged to have been painted with a type of paint that did not exist in the 19th century? Am I wrong, or was this part of the suit dismissed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg doc2.jpg (44.8 KB, 804 views)
File Type: jpg doc1.jpg (72.6 KB, 807 views)
File Type: jpg pg4.jpg (73.3 KB, 809 views)

Last edited by Leon; 05-11-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Count I was about different balls that Corey did buy. The "1861 Trophy Ball" and the "1853 Trophy Ball."

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-11-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Leon -- the lulling fraud count did not go to the jury. The court decided it on summary judgment.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:07 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Leon -- the lulling fraud count did not go to the jury. The court decided it on summary judgment.
FIxed thanks. Now back to cards.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:21 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

What happens with attorney's fees on a case like this? Is the winning side's fees paid by the losing side, or is it up to the judge to award fees if he/she sees fit? If the latter, were they awarded in this case?
Old 05-11-2018, 08:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
What happens with attorney's fees on a case like this? Is the winning side's fees paid by the losing side, or is it up to the judge to award fees if he/she sees fit? If the latter, were they awarded in this case?
Attorneys' fees are awarded in U.S. litigation only when the underlying claim is under a statute (e.g. antitrust, unfair or deceptive trade practice) that allows them for a prevailing plaintiff. In the ordinary civil case such as this one, each side pays its own fees.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-12-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:20 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Jay,
Here are the allegations in paragraphs 29 and 30 of the First Amended Complaint brought by Corey.
Corey never bought the trophy balls where there was no sale with Nash. He bought others after that. The jury felt he relied on the false sale of the balls for future purchases, with clear and convincing evidence (according to the statute that had to be overcome). My guess is that if the transcripts ever come out they will be interesting to a few, myself included.

To summarize even more -
First count, for lulling him into giving up his claim against Mastro on the balls he did buy. Judge didn't buy it.
Second count, for manipulating the market and inducing him to overpay on other stuff. Jury bought it.

Hope that helps clear a little of this mess up. It is worth repeating that appeals are expected.
Point #11 is the scary one, for me.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-12-2018, 02:12 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Ok there were 2, my mistake. But I am pretty sure Bill was inferring the hobbyists knew both defendants and he meant Corey and Rob not meaning members knew Rob's other company....Bill originally, probably meant to say "litigants". But I am wrong, there were 2 defendants. More to come I am sure....
Nope, by co-defendants, I meant Rob, and REA. I am not familiar with REA's history prior to the time when I joined this forum. I don't know if Rob was a founder, or not. If not, it's quite possible that long time hobby enthusiasts might have had a working relationship with somebody other than Rob at REA.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:20 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Thanks, Peter. I guess, in the same position, I'd go for a jury trial, even though it might drag on for years. In arbitration, if you're not happy with the resolution, you're stuck, as there's no appeal.

Back to the topic at hand.

Old 05-12-2018, 04:50 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Jay,

To summarize even more -

Something's missing there right?
What's shown makes it look like someone consigned stuff, shilled it, never paid. Then a second person relies on those sales and sues because he overpaid? And that all the items involved were fake? Sounds like the AH is being punished for what the consigner did.
Not that it isn't the law, it just seems less than fair (I know by now that those things aren't always aligned)
Old 05-12-2018, 05:53 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I think it is that Rob knew that the earlier sales never took but reported them as genuine sales so that bidders would rely on the bogus report in setting a bid level on the next items up for sale.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-16-2018, 10:25 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Catching Up

I've been away and I've read through this tonight. I get the feeling that this thread was left to die on the vine. Not sure of the intent. The "Law" is a complexity of which I have very little specific knowledge and I appreciate the explanations by all the attorneys on this Forum. I'm frustrated by all the backbiting and hijackings on this thread; I am also surprised that the OP, RL, has not chosen to comment:

We have no fancy PR firm (and don’t need one) and I can’t discuss details of a lawsuit that is filed against me because it just isn’t done, but I can assure any and all that this has NO merit.

Well, the case is over now and the verdict has been heard and I wonder what Rob's response will be...or if there ever will be a response?

I'm no lawyer, but as a doctor I like to cut to the heart (sorry) of the problem. If I squeeze the data and cut away all the bs, I see this:

A jury has determined that RL is guilty of misrepresentation in an auction-related matter. I know appeal, re-trial, yadda ,yadda, yadda,....but guys, Rob L. has been found guilty of doing something that is contradictory to the core values of his profession. That's huge. Are there other misdeeds? I don't know, but I do know that according to a court of law RL has betrayed his client on at least one occasion.

Again, nothing here at all about Brian Dwyer who is one of the most honest men I know.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:22 AM
Peter Spaeth

Frank, when I posted about the verdict I expected more discussion as well if for no other reason than the prominence of the parties and the nature of the allegations, but perhaps because Rob L. is out of the business it is of little interest?

Old 05-17-2018, 09:43 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Kind of a sign of the times I guess. Different sliding scales for conduct if the person charged is on your team or on the other team. If it's your friend the parish priest/rabbi or youth organization volunteer charged with sexual abuse, you disbelieve or find some reason to excuse the conduct. If it's your public figure charged with wrongdoing, the man or woman you support, you look the other way or minimize the conduct. "Matt Lauer? Oh, he's a nice guy. I can't believe he would do that. " If it's your guy caught using PEDS you continue to slam Bonds and Sosa but welcome your guy back with open arms when the suspension is over. Charge other people with wrongdoing all day long, but when the shoe is squarely on the other foot you yawn loudly, put your head down and quietly walk away.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 05-17-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:32 AM
Dan Bretta

I think what you have here is a lot of people who are friends with both Rob and Corey. Also the story is still a bit fuzzy as to what exactly happened. Not a peep out of Peter Nash who loves to take a swipe at Rob with every breath he takes.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:38 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I think what you have here is a lot of people who are friends with both Rob and Corey. Also the story is still a bit fuzzy as to what exactly happened. Not a peep out of Peter Nash who loves to take a swipe at Rob with every breath he takes.
He is conflicted, to say the least. I wouldn't take his lack of commentary to mean anything.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-17-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:43 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
What is fuzzy about it? It's right there in the amended complaint and verdict sheet, a federal jury found that Rob. L and REA committed fraud by misrepresenting that two specific items had sold at auction, with the intent of inducing Corey S. to rely on those "realized" prices in making other bids. And awarded x in actual damages and y in punitive damages. I think your first explanation is far more likely than the second. Or, the fact that Rob. L is out of the hobby.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-17-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:00 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

A civil verdict is significantly different than a criminal investigation followed by indictment and admission via guilty plea. Many of Corey's allegations were dismissed, none were investigated criminally and the one that did result in a verdict was achieved by a significantly lesser standard than beyond a reasonable doubt. And it will be appealed and, unlike a guilty plea, might be reversed. It's not a surprise to me that the reaction is not as cut and dry as you'd think it should be. Hell, after all, some on Net 54 were still supporting Mastro even at sentencing.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
A civil verdict is significantly different than a criminal investigation followed by indictment and admission via guilty plea. Many of Corey's allegations were dismissed, none were investigated criminally and the one that did result in a verdict was achieved by a significantly lesser standard than beyond a reasonable doubt. And it will be appealed and, unlike a guilty plea, might be reversed. It's not a surprise to me that the reaction is not as cut and dry as you'd think it should be. Hell, after all, some on Net 54 were still supporting Mastro even at sentencing.
Clear and convincing evidence is a tough standard in and of itself. Way north of preponderance. But my point was simply I thought it would generate more discussion, not that the reaction would be cut and dried. You reacted, a few others did, but comparatively few I thought.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-17-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:41 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Facts vs. beliefs

Ironically one of the most powerful statements I have ever read:

In the face of facts contrary to ones beliefs many people ignore or throw out the facts in order to hold onto their beliefs.

Soooo, let's say RL and REA did exactly what they were found guilty of (albeit in civil court), how does that affect everyone today? What are the options I as a collector have to react to it?

I suspect there is a lot more problems from "funny business" to fraud happening all the time than is made public or found out.

For many years I didn't bid with an auction house that a good friend told me were regular shillers. I missed out on a lot of great stuff and bid with other more reputable houses (later found to be shilling - Mastro as one shining example).

Today I try to give myself the best opportunity to bid without being shilled - as often as possible, I snipe and I never bid more than I am comfortable paying.

I am heartened to see people choosing to do the wrong thing held to various degrees of accountability and support their being "outed" in our community.

It's a sad reality that has been stated before, when there is money to be made, there will be people trying to take the "easy road".
Old 05-17-2018, 07:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

As Paul Simon put it so well, A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:47 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Clear and convincing evidence is a tough standard in and of itself. Way north of preponderance. But my point was simply I thought it would generate more discussion, not that the reaction would be cut and dried. You reacted, a few others did, but comparatively few I thought.
My practice is limited to fraud and insurance bad faith cases. I have tried two cases where the jury poured us out on the bad faith claim (preponderance of the evidence standard) and found for us on fraud (clear and convincing evidence standard). As a result, I'm not sure that most juries understand, or even care, about what the various evidentiary standards mean. What they care about, IMO, is the opinions they form early, sometimes even before the evidence begins.

If the jury think someone got screwed, they find in their favor. If they think someone acted bad, they generally find against them. Even in non-equity based cases, it is generally all about equity. That's why, at least here, plaintiffs prefer state court (where you get to voir dire the jury, tell your story, invoke the equity, and hopefully win the case right there) and defendants FAR prefer federal court, were the judge asks about six questions that provide no information about either the case or the prospective jurors, qualifies the jury panel, and tells you to make your strikes.

I have always read, and believed, that you win or lose most cases by the time opening statements are done. In a civil case, that occurs right after voir dire. I have only tried one criminal case in my life -- a murder case -- when I was a young lawyer as second chair -- so I have no idea if that belief holds true there. I didn't watch the Shanus-REA trial so I am really hesitant to make any assumptions about who was right, whether the evidence supported the verdict, whether the judge screwed something up, etc. That's why I have not commented about the result or what it might mean, although I obviously have my own opinions. But I will say that I very much believe that juries generally get it right. Not always, but mostly. My .02, which is exactly what its worth.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:19 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

It is also possible that no one really cares that much because Lifson isn't in the business any more.

Or not...
Old 05-19-2018, 07:21 PM
Frank Evanov

Default RL

I thought Lifson was forming an investment group to speculate in high end, graded cards?
Old 05-20-2018, 07:21 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantlefan View Post
I thought Lifson was forming an investment group to speculate in high end, graded cards?
This appears to be the website but there is no content.

http://americanainvestments.com/index.html

Old 05-20-2018, 10:15 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

And this legal stuff is confusing to non-lawyers. The civil litigators among us may appreciate the significance of a special verdict for fraud and of a punitive damages award but odds are most N54 readers don't.

Or not...
Old 05-20-2018, 10:53 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
And this legal stuff is confusing to non-lawyers. The civil litigators among us may appreciate the significance of a special verdict for fraud and of a punitive damages award but odds are most N54 readers don't.
I don't agree with that, Adam, although of course I am just speculating. But my gut tells me that if there was a civil verdict for fraudulent market manipulation and punitive damages against someone named KG, or BH, or a host of others, people wouldn't be too confused to discuss it. I think it has much more to do with the identity of the individual involved, whether because he is out of the hobby, or for other reasons.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-20-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:38 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
I don't agree with that, Adam, although of course I am just speculating. But my gut tells me that if there was a civil verdict for fraudulent market manipulation and punitive damages against someone named KG, or BH, or a host of others, people wouldn't be too confused to discuss it. I think it has much more to do with the identity of the individual involved, whether because he is out of the hobby, or for other reasons.
Maybe some of the people on the board actually know the facts of the one allegation that went to the jury and are shocked the jury got it so wrong.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:43 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Maybe some of the people on the board actually know the facts of the one allegation that went to the jury and are shocked the jury got it so wrong.
Are you referring to yourself?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-20-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:10 PM
Dan Bretta

And still nothing From Peter Nash. Why is he not taking a jab at Lifson? Why is he remaining silent?
Old 05-20-2018, 08:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
And still nothing From Peter Nash. Why is he not taking a jab at Lifson? Why is he remaining silent?
Because he is in the middle of it.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:53 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Juries

Quote:
I figure the time that the jury spent hearing the case and deliberating outweighs my cursory glance at the facts.

So yes, he's guilty!!