NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-17-2002, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Default SGC grade----"OTH"

Posted By: Elliot 

Has anybody seen this grade before? Isn't this very similiar to what Leon was asking SGC to do?---i.e. authenticate without a grade. Is this a new policy of SGC, or an old one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1837158431

Old 06-17-2002, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

My questions are, when did SGC start using screwdown holders, and what the frick does 'OTH' mean?

Old 06-17-2002, 08:25 PM
Administrator

I'll tell you, the more I see and read about grading card companies, the more I dislike them. PSA, Beckett, SGM (Oops, I mean SGC), GAI, Pro-- you can keep them all. They pretty much all make me want to throw up.

Old 06-17-2002, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Looks like the owner sent it in, SGC would not or could not grade it, SGC sent it back in a toploader, and this person put it in a screwdown making it look like it came from SGC this way. I don't see the big deal...unless I go back and see something else..... and I will stay on the record as thinking that SGC is still the best with PSA and GAI ( I guess ) doing a pretty good job.....NONE of them are perfect though....but give me an SGC graded card over one that is raw anyday....just my half-cent worth.....best regards

Old 06-17-2002, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

That's what it looks like to me too. I don't think you can blame any wrong doing on SGC's part for this one. The seller is making a mole hill look like a mountain.

I'm still at a loss as to what "OTH" stands for. Maybe the card and the label are fakes and "OTH" stands for:

"O"nly
"T"he
"H"older

Just kidding.

Old 06-17-2002, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Yes, I agree that SGC must have sent it back in a top loader, and the seller put it in a screwdown along with the label. The only thing is he claims the "OTH" designates authentication but no grade, which I doubt SGC would have done. The "OTH" must be a rejection notification of some sort, but does not mean that it could be authentic.

Old 06-17-2002, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

SGC is the toughest grader of caramel cards, PRO is the worst (grading anything that hasn't been exactoed to a complete nub) but PSA is surely the most incompetent with its mislabeling time after time after time. Here's yet another example, an E94 Evers which is actually an E102 (I notified the seller).
Ebay #1837344991. Another 19 year old twinkie eating kid who was thinking about anything but what he was doing...

Old 06-17-2002, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

The non-grade given for a card which isn't a card, so to speak, and thus can't be graded according to SGC?

Old 06-17-2002, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Hey, I like twinkies.

Old 06-18-2002, 10:07 AM
Administrator

I'm sorry, you all, but I cannot have respect for a company (SGC) that has special branding for Shop at Home.

Old 06-18-2002, 10:19 AM
Administrator

I agree. The SAH connection does make me sigh a bit but they are in business to make money. You can't fault them for that it's called capitalism. As long as the cards they grade are authentic, un-altered, and the grades are justified, so be it.

I hope no one at the SAH network is holding their breath waiting for my order. Sure is hard to pass on the $10,000 worth of cards for only $299 though.

I have a bigger problem with a company (PSA) that seems to grade any vintage card put into it's hands. I passd up on a PSA 5 E90-1 Overall with a bottom border that had a wave a surfer would appreciate. Just my opinion folks.

Old 06-18-2002, 12:07 PM
Administrator

I kinda figured "OTH" meant "other" but just wanted to be sure since I have never seen that designation before. Here is the response I got from Sean at SGC regarding this auction:

...When we reject a card for some reason OTHer than trimmed(TRM), altered (ALT) or counterfeit (COU), OTH prints out on the label and we mark the label with a highlighter. This card most likely had many problems to list and not easily described. The seller put the card in screwdown, not SGC....