NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-17-2002, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Default Blocking bidders

Posted By: runscott

I just blocked my first bidder. Has anyone dealt with Brunners before? Offered me $189 to stop an auction early. I said "no", then he came back after the auction ended and offered me $180, postage-paid, even though someone else had won it for $181! I would rather give the card away free than deal with a wise-***. I feel very fortunate that I have never had this kind of interaction with anyone who posts on the board - for the most part we treat each other with respect. Also, I've bought from Brunners before - why would you want to s**** a customer?

Old 06-17-2002, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Default Blocking bidders

Old 06-17-2002, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Default Blocking bidders

Posted By: Elliot

****'s you want, ****'s you get.

Old 06-17-2002, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Default Blocking bidders

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Yeah Scott
I get these crazy people all the time. I'm like you I'll keep the card forever before giving in to a creep.
later brian

Old 06-17-2002, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Default Blocking bidders

thanks!

Old 06-17-2002, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Default Blocking bidders

Posted By: leon

I know Brunners pretty well. I think he is a stand up guy (seriously) and hope this is just a misunderstanding. I must have spoken with him for 2 hours at the Nationals last year. All of my dealings with him have been good. Maybe he wanted the card real bad? best regards

Old 06-17-2002, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Default Blocking bidders

Posted By: petecld

I'm not looking to defend anyone, just curious - did the $181 bid "win" the auction but didn't meet a reserve you placed? So he figured he would make you an offer? I've gotten offers to end auctions as well so I'm not shocked at the request.

Why did you ban him? If you banned every pain in the a** to deal with on ebay their stock price would drop.

Old 06-18-2002, 06:37 AM
Administrator

Default Blocking bidders

He offered me $189 initially. I told him I already had an offer for $210. I did not accept either offer, as the auction was running and I don't like ending auctions early. Brunners then bid the $179 minimum and someone else won it for $181. Brunners then sent me an email saying he guessed the $210 guy decided not to bid, and the winner hadn't bid on anything baseball-related in 30 days so he would offer me $180, postage-paid - let him know. I replied that, no, the guy who offered me $210 did not bid, and he had offered me $189, then was willing to lose the item to someone who bid only $181. Sounds just a little bit odd to me. In any case, I personally just don't like wise-***es, especially when they are soliciting business from me.

Pete, as I said in my previous post, this is the FIRST bidder I have blocked. Obviously, with the feedback I have, I have dealt with one or two wise-***es in the past. I have even had people make offers to me, asking me to stop an auction early - if I had done this two weeks ago I would have sold my e95 collection for an additional $800 - guess what? He never even bid! But to have someone come back to me with a wise-*** email and a lowball offer,when he didn't even win the auction. I don't need bidders like that. As far as blocking his email, I refuse to get in a pissing contest with anyone - I blocked Henry Yee's as well.

Old 06-18-2002, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Default Blocking bidders

I've had very long, pleasant conversations with many people that I have little respect for. This was simply a case of the $210 bidder not showing up for the auction, and Brunners then throwing it in my face. I hope he enjoyed it and got the satisfaction he was looking for - I definitely enjoyed making him the inaugural member of my blocked bidders list.

Old 06-18-2002, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Default Blocking bidders

No, there wasn't a reserve - the guy who bid $181 won the auction fair and square and has feedback of 37 with no negatives or neutrals, so there is no reason to think he won't pay, and no reason for Brunners to make me an offer after they lost the auction to this guy. Sorry, I'm still seething.

Old 06-18-2002, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Default Blocking bidders

Posted By: Mike Williams

Leon/All....I've dealt with Dan (Brunners) numerous times....all of which were outstanding transactions with NO hassles. He's one of this hobbies good guys IMO.

Old 06-18-2002, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Default Blocking bidders

Maybe he had an axe to grind over a post of mine he didn't like. Who knows? In any case, I deal straight up with people and expect the same. If you ever find me behaving like a weasel in a transaction, call me on it - I have never had a problem admitting when I made a mistake.

Old 06-18-2002, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Default Blocking bidders

Brunners only offered me $180 the first time, not $189, so I wasn't getting low-balled. I still don't understand why he sent the second email - all I can figure is he was irritated when I turned down his first offer. Also, it looks like for some reason he didn't think there was a winner in the auction - I don't know why. In any case, electronic communication doesn't always capture mood very well, so I have sent him an email attempting to smooth it over.

Meanwhile, I can't wait to complete my ebay purchases and sales so I can take a break from this - too many odd transactions on ebay lately. I'm getting too edgy.

Old 06-18-2002, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Default Blocking bidders

Posted By: John Wojak

Scott, I don't know what happened between you and "Brunners", so I won't presume to tell you what to do or how to handle it, but I want to let you know that I have dealt with him on a few occasions in the past, and have corresponded with him on numerous other occasions that didn't involve transactions, and have always had curteous and pleasant contacts with him. From my dealings with him, he is a good guy with a lot of useful information; in fact, I am surprised he is not on this board, maybe he doesn't know about it. Anyway, is it possible that it was just some misunderstanding?

Old 06-18-2002, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Default Blocking bidders

Dan and I have exchanged several emails this morning and everything is fine now - Dan is very pleasant and I'm sure a lot easier to deal with than I am. Like I told Dan, tone is not always conveyed correctly via emails, and I need to slow down and not be so thin-skinned. I plan to take a break from ebay after I run my "garbage cards" auctions this week, and just sit back and enjoy talking cards and drinking beer <=== see, there is an inherent problem with the written English language, as none of my cards start talking until AFTER I drink beer.

Old 06-18-2002, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Default Blocking bidders

Posted By: leon

In response to your reply to my posting about Brunners. I too have had conversations (lengthy) with folks I would not vouch for. Just because I talk with someone doesn't mean I will say good things (or bad) about them. I happened to meet Brunners dad (who really is from the old school of collecting) and his now deceased best friend at the Nationals too. When you meet someone's dad and their best friend, and they are genuinely nice also, you can form some opinions. I have done business numerous times with Dan and had many emails and all were very enjoyable. Dan also owns the only 1894 Baltimore Orioles card (Alpha Engraving, I believe) set with some super rarities......and some 1914 Baltimore News cards I would love to have.....best regards and case closed......glad ya'll kissed and made up....

Old 06-18-2002, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Default Blocking bidders

Posted By: jverri01

I would like to say a word on Dan's (brunner) behalf. Dan is a stand-up guy. He is one of the finest in this hobby. I am MORE than happy to vouch for him. I am also willing to provide a business reference for him. We have transacted several times, and he has ALWAYS performed - even to the tune of several thousand dollars. I am SURE this is a misunderstanding, Scott.

James
jverri01

Old 06-18-2002, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Default Blocking bidders

Posted By: John Wojak

Hey, Scott, glad you worked it out. Tell Dan he should join the board and add his two cents to the pot. But I'm not too sure about this business about your cards talking to you, beers or not. Didn't I read on the other thread that you are married to a psychiatrist? What does she have to say about your conversations with your cards?!?!

Old 06-18-2002, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Default Blocking bidders

Posted By: Scott

I don't even bring it up except to tell her I've sold one. Yes, Dan (Brunners) sounds like a very nice guy.

Old 06-18-2002, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Default Blocking bidders

Good luck in your new auction.

Old 06-18-2002, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Default Blocking bidders

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

Dan is a good guy just trying to tease no doubt. he helped me before by giving me info to prevent a rip off.....I wouldn't forbid him from bidding. He can certainly still e-mail you regardless so why bother?

Old 06-18-2002, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Default Blocking bidders

I'm already gnawing on the crow bones.

Old 06-18-2002, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Default Blocking bidders

Posted By: B C D

start learning to actually play golf so I can come there and spank you blue!