NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-26-2006, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Default SGC and Bond Bread

Posted By: Adam B.

Because these have been the topic of semi-frequent discussions on the board I thought it OK to post these and note a few observations. Several of these were on ebay a few weeks back graded by SGC.

1. I don't believe the exhibit size bread cards are noted in the Standard Catalog (at least not my 2004 edition). I vaguely seem to remember some of these listed a few years back but have not actively followed bond bread cards for a while. So is Stan Musial a rookie?

2. Walker Cooper is not listed in the standard set. Was curious if anyone has seen any other unlisted players.

3. Thought the perforated cards with the western figures on the back were interesting. There was one with John Wayne on the back that was pretty neat. I don't remember ever seeing the perforated versions before or any cards with front and back pictures.

4. I also got a Joe Louis with the rounded corners. Although I did not break it out of the holder I compared it to some square corner cards and thought they matched.

Adam B

Old 01-26-2006, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

Greg Schwartz knows a lot about the Bond Bread cards. He posts here. In fact, he was the one selling the perforated ones. I think I asked him about them and he said that he had never seen them before; but I'm getting old and my memory is failing.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 01-27-2006, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Adam B

Forum members are probably tired of reading my continuing comments
on these cards; however, I must interject my thoughts once again.

The "SQUARE" Homogenized Bond Bread cards that are being graded with
a 1947 date are incorrectly labelled. How do I know this....this set was
the very first BB cards I collected as a kid in 1947 and 1948. Further-
more, my entire collection from my youth survived and all 48 cards from
this set have the "ROUND" corners. And, I have compared notes with other
veteran hobbyists who also collected these cards in their youth and they,
too, never-ever recalled seeing SQUARE cards.

Now, your Walker Cooper card is an important tell-tale clue. As you noted
this card is not recorded in any price guide (not Beckett, nor Krause).
And, he is not in my original set of ROUND cards. Several more SQUARE
cards of players ,who have not been catalogued as the original 48, have
surfaced in recent years; so, the mystery behind these SQUARE cards only
deepens.
But, no one will ever convince me that the SQUARE cards are a 1947 issue.
My theory is that the SQUARE cards were printed after 1949, or perhaps
sometime later, but were never inserted in Bond bread packages. One thing
is certainly true, the cardboard stock that the SQUARE cards are printed
on is an inferior one than the original ROUND stock.

But, of course a collector would not be able to discern this difference once
the cards are hermetically sealed in plastic.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scott ingold

Well at least i'm not the only one with slabbed "square" Bond bread cards.

Old 01-28-2006, 12:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Hate the Jackie; the Reese is a nice pic. I also have (while they are unto me) 6 cards from the OTHER Bond Bread set, (exclusivfely Jackie Robinson); a 3, 3 5s, one 6 and 1 7...REA.

Old 01-28-2006, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: tonygalo

I have never seen these bond Bread exhibit size cards until a recent Ebay auction for a handful of these
then I see Larry fritsch had about 43 of these for sale in a recent SCD ad.

Old 01-30-2006, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

I picked up some of these on ebay recently, and I've never owned any of either kind before so I'm not sure if mine are originals or later reprints. Any help would be appreciated. The seller auctioned off about 20 of them individually, and I just picked up what I considered to be the key cards -- Robinson, Musial, and DiMaggio.

My cards are noticeably (but not dramatically) different in size from each other. All the corners are "round", but some are further in than others from where the corner would be on a squared card (which I take to mean they may have been rounded later on by someone with scissors). The Jackie Robinson is miscut with part of another card showing at the top. The DiMaggio, and several others the seller had, are listed as short-prints that did not turn up in the squared corner find of the 1980's.

I can post pictures if necessary, but I thought maybe the info above would be enough for one of the experts.

Thanks.

Old 01-30-2006, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

Ted -

Don't know if this helps any, but I recall that an advertiser in SCD in the early 80s always had sets of these for sale for about $129 I think. The address was on Flatbush avenue in Brooklyn. Would lend credence to a warehouse find/reprint.

Old 03-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Administrator

This is the Musial I picked up. Sorry about the size of the picture, but I wanted to make sure the printing pattern was clear in case that's relevant. Can anyone tell from this picture if it's original or not? Or are there any distinguishing features of the paperstock I can look/feel for?

Thanks,
glenn

Old 03-04-2006, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

The only 1947 Bond Bread set worth having is the 13-card Jackie Robinson set. Photos all takien in Montral, "Brooklyn" very skillfully substituted for "Montreal" in the picturs. The cards are rectangular, the pictures within have rounded corners.

Old 03-04-2006, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Don't knmow what exactly meant by the exhibit-size, butperhaps 6 years ago I won a big group card lot that included much bigger versions of the Bond Bread cards. I know there was a Stan Musial in the lot. I don't beleive that MastroNet referred to them as Bond cards, think they just called them bread cards and noted they had the same images.

Old 03-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Administrator

The actual card is only about 3.4" x 2.25". I've just posted a larger picture to show detail.

Old 03-04-2006, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

I was David Festberg who was selling these in the early 80's. Since I haven't subscribed to SCD for many years I kinda lost track of him. Is he still around?

Old 03-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

For the indecisive, here you can have both types of corners on the same card!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8710364075&category=86854&ssPageName=:IT

Old 03-04-2006, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

David Festberg hasnt been seen in a few years. All his web pages are dead. If I remember right he kind of went out with some controversy.

The Musial you pictured is authentic, the key is the round corners, the ones that are suspect have square corners and are almost always in MINT condition. In that condition it would book for about $6-$12.

BTW what the heck is this thing??????? I rarely get stumped on identification of vintage cards. It is Earl Whitehill, blank back and is 3" by 5". As far as I know it is not a R313, R313A, R314. Whitehill played for Washington from 1933-36.

Frank

Old 03-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Cool, thanks. I got all three (Musial, DiMaggio, and Robinson) for under $25, and the Musial is the only one with a crease.