NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-04-2015, 07:04 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Lightbulb Tell me what under valued players or cards you feel need to rise in price

Just curiously wondering what other collectors and hobby enthusiast think . I've had this conversation with a friend that's not that in to collecting . And we had very different answers . So let's here what the masses have to say
Old 11-04-2015, 07:08 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
Just curiously wondering what other collectors and hobby enthusiast think . I've had this conversation with a friend that's not that in to collecting . And we had very different answers . So let's here what the masses have to say
Mantle. Most of his cards are substantially undervalued while a few are really overvalued. I can send you the list of cards I have (all undervalued) and need (all overvalued) if you want more details

On a serious note, I do think that a lot of the oddball cards for a lot of the better players are still a bit on the light side. As they are added to PSA Player Registries--which is happening now with Mantle--the prices will likely creep up a bit.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:17 AM
Matt

The Lou Gehrig RC. Though that looks to be changing, and rapidly so.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:52 AM
Al Richter

Default Collecting

I would be interested in the divergent views of your and your friend, Dustin. The "masses" here are never bashful about saying what they think
Old 11-04-2015, 08:08 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default underpriced

i would certainly buy up all the test issues and regionals all underpriced
anyone with money can buy a 52 mantle....they appear at auction 10 at a time every month in all grades...but how many dice games do you see or 66 punchouts
if a 52 mantle 8 goes for $430k a 66 punchout mantle 8 should go for $5 million
Old 11-04-2015, 08:37 AM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflayank View Post
i would certainly buy up all the test issues and regionals all underpriced
anyone with money can buy a 52 mantle....they appear at auction 10 at a time every month in all grades...but how many dice games do you see or 66 punchouts
if a 52 mantle 8 goes for $430k a 66 punchout mantle 8 should go for $5 million
Should, but would ? Wishing and hoping....Dusty Springfield

Welcome, Michael

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 11-04-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:11 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Food issues, regionals, test issues

While the market is easily viewed and valued through a supply and demand lens, it has puzzled me that many of the food issue, regional and test issues of many of the better known, more collected players don't sell for significantly more. While there is certainly a thinner demand base, the supply is so much smaller it still shocks me. I was saddened (that I couldn't afford it) and heartened to see the prices of the 1953 Stahl Meyer cards in a recent auction - PSA 7 Mantle selling for 30k+. Even that price seems like a bargain when you consider the likely less than a couple of dozen examples in existence and the 7 being the second highest graded - next to say the kind of numbers his 1953 card sells for.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:27 AM
M!chael

I haven't posted over here or introduced myself yet, though I have been reading for some time, so I'll say first by way of brief introduction that I got back into collecting a couple of years ago after a long hiatus and collect mostly ungraded baseball Hall of Famers and graded baseball HOF rookies.

I'm generally dubious of efforts to try to predict the future on these things, but there's one card that doesn't seem to get mentioned in these kinds of threads that I think should be at least part of the discussion: the 1939 Play Ball Ted Williams.

I would think it has some room to grow for a few reasons. It is of top 5 player, and if I'm not mistaken is one of the few widely agreed upon pre-war rookie cards. While not exactly scarce, there are fewer graded than other major rookies (about 1000 graded between PSA and SGC, versus 2,000 for Mantle and 4,000 for Aaron, for example). It is a nice picture and a clean looking, classic card. Yet it can be had right now for the same or less than an equivalent Aaron and 1/4 of the price of a 1951 Mantle for mid-grade examples, with the discrepancy growing in higher grades. And it hasn't yet seen the run-ups in price that other major rookies experienced in the last couple of years. That seems to me to create potential for growth as more people turn to acquiring rookie cards of the very best players, which seems to be a current trend.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:46 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
Mantle. Most of his cards are substantially undervalued while a few are really overvalued. I can send you the list of cards I have (all undervalued) and need (all overvalued) if you want more details

On a serious note, I do think that a lot of the oddball cards for a lot of the better players are still a bit on the light side. As they are added to PSA Player Registries--which is happening now with Mantle--the prices will likely creep up a bit.
Yep. Regionals/oddball have climbed in prices lately. I deal quite extensively in them. Pre EBay they were a bear to find. Not much easier with the 'Bay.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:56 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

It may just be my Dodger bias, but I'm always surprised at how cheap Duke Snider is. As for non-Dodgers, maybe Brock, Mathews, Kiner, Mize, and Spahn.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 11-04-2015, 01:16 PM
Erik

Frank Robinson.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:10 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsdaddy View Post
Frank Robinson.
Yep!!

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 11-04-2015, 03:00 PM
Erik

I will add this about Robinson. For the longest time he was fourth on the all time home run list. ROY, two time MVP, one in each league including the 1966 Triple Crown and the first black manager in baseball. I just feel his cards are undervalued as compared to his contemporaries.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:40 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Samsdaddy just dropped a bomb ! Nice see I like this pick because sometime when trying to determine something like this people use there hearts .
Old 11-05-2015, 04:12 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

I expect the very long term trend to be for Aaron to move up and Mantle to move down. When nobody is left who ever saw Mantle play, witnessed the Yankees as a dynasty, or even met Mantle at a show, it's hard to imagine what will prop him up as having by far the most expensive cards of the 50s and 60s. Meanwhile, Aaron has the (unofficial) record.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
I expect the very long term trend to be for Aaron to move up and Mantle to move down. When nobody is left who ever saw Mantle play, witnessed the Yankees as a dynasty, or even met Mantle at a show, it's hard to imagine what will prop him up as having by far the most expensive cards of the 50s and 60s. Meanwhile, Aaron has the (unofficial) record.
I only saw Mantle at the very end of his career and I imagine the majority of people buying his cards at the elite levels are younger than I am. Whatever intangibles prop him up can be handed down I suspect.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-05-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:29 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Maybe. But at some point the question "Why Mantle?" can only be answered with "Because he's the most valuable." And then the emperor has no clothes.

I suspect now a ton of today's buyers either saw him play or grew up on great stories from parents or grandparents who saw him play. The rest are speculators who rely on this first group for their bubbles not to burst.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:48 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

@pokerply80 no doubt mantle was the best player on the team . ( I never seen him play ) ford was the best pitcher and ace of the staff and served in the Korean War in prime years . I think the price of his cards drive his infamy with in the hobby . I'm 34 years old I grew up only reading the becket price guide and seeing all his card leading the way . That was the only reason I wanted them at the time . There were no notable Stan Musial , frank robinsons . It became the chase for something unattainable . I do see mantle cards slowing down or going the other way with the next gerations .
Old 11-05-2015, 06:03 PM
je.sse @rnot

I'm 35 and growing up the 52 Mantle was the ultimate dream card. I was a big baseball fan and new some history, but as for the cards I just knew his were the most valuable and didn't question why. Whatever the reason, or reasons, it has been the case for quite a while and don't see it changing. I agree with peter's statement that this belief will be passed down to future collectors, with or without valid reasons.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Duende or whatever else you want to call it goes a long way. Look at the Namath rookie -- most experts would not rank him among the 100 best players ever.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:36 PM
Shaun Fyffe

My opinion is, of course, influenced by what has been my collecting and research focus over the years, but I believe that the 1947-1949 Jackie Robinson Bond Bread set is tremendously undervalued. It's amazing to me that Jackie's true rookie card (Portrait card) can be had for less than $2,000 in NRMT shape.

I believe the reason why it's undervalued has to do with the misguided belief that the card was a regional release. However, recent findings have proven that to not be the case, and the set should no longer be deemed regional IMO.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 11-16-2015, 09:52 AM

Deleted post

Last edited by Gr8Beldini; 11-16-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Duende or whatever else you want to call it goes a long way. Look at the Namath rookie -- most experts would not rank him among the 100 best players ever.
No; but Namath might be the most iconic football player of all time. "Iconic" is what drives demand; not "better."
Old 11-09-2015, 09:44 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I'm 35 and growing up the 52 Mantle was the ultimate dream card. I was a big baseball fan and new some history, but as for the cards I just knew his were the most valuable and didn't question why. Whatever the reason, or reasons, it has been the case for quite a while and don't see it changing. I agree with peter's statement that this belief will be passed down to future collectors, with or without valid reasons.
I'm 38, and would concur with your assessment of Mantle's role in the hobby, which continues today but especially from when we were growing up. He's the king of the postwar hobby despite career stats and records because New York and the 1950's was the perfect intersection of time and place for baseball. When baseball nostalgia became a full-blown thing by the early 1990's (The Natural, Field of Dreams, card shops on every corner...) and the baby boomers wanted a piece of that nostalgia, they turned to Mickey Mantle. Forget that Ted Williams batted nearly 50 points higher for his career or that Stan Musial had 600+ more hits or that all things considered - Willie Mays was the best NY centerfielder - Mickey was the guy in those NYY pinstripes. Just how it worked out. I bought into the mystique too, but have to settle for my VG-ish '56 Topps Mantle instead of a '52 Grail or '51 Bowman.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:04 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

I still think the Bowman 1951 Mays are way undervalued that have ok centering....there is no magical 1952 topps Mays to deal with like the 1951 mantle has to deal with..and the 1952 Topps Mays are taking off...I think the 1951 Mays Bowman grade for grade will get closer to their 1952 Topps counterparts at a surprising level....as we know 1951 Mantles are still very valuable but I just don't see the price jump with them compared to the magical Mantle 1952 Topps counterparts.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 11-09-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:08 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I'm 38, and would concur with your assessment of Mantle's role in the hobby, which continues today but especially from when we were growing up. He's the king of the postwar hobby despite career stats and records because New York and the 1950's was the perfect intersection of time and place for baseball. When baseball nostalgia became a full-blown thing by the early 1990's (The Natural, Field of Dreams, card shops on every corner...) and the baby boomers wanted a piece of that nostalgia, they turned to Mickey Mantle. Forget that Ted Williams batted nearly 50 points higher for his career or that Stan Musial had 600+ more hits or that all things considered - Willie Mays was the best NY centerfielder - Mickey was the guy in those NYY pinstripes. Just how it worked out. I bought into the mystique too, but have to settle for my VG-ish '56 Topps Mantle instead of a '52 Grail or '51 Bowman.
The only Mantle card in my collection up until a couple of years ago was a beat up 58 world series batting foes Mantle/Aaron that might grade a 3 if I ever sent it in. I'm sure I never will. I've had it since I was a kid and I still love it. Only in the last year or so was I able to add a couple I always dreamed of. I'd still prefer better condition but they are cool to have. Hopefully you'll be able to add to your 56 as well.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:08 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

I know we'll all be dead, but I'm convinced that even hundreds of years from now, after all modern records have been broken, one name will be remembered as the most important (and even collectible?!) in the history of baseball: Jackie Robinson. So I do think this Bond Bread set will get its due, just may take a while.