NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Merrill

Default Please explain sgc grading

Can anyone please explain the SGC grading system to me?
If you don’t know the grade of a card then how can you know what value to send it in for.
If the card grades better then you think, and that jumps the value to the next tier, do they grade it at the lower grade? If the card grades lower then you think, do they send you money back?
I like the SGC holders and their grading but I haven’t sent in anything because of what I’ve stated above.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Barry Sloate

The value is for insurance purposes only. Just give the card a ballpark idea of what you think it is worth so you can determine a tier. It may come back with a grade higher or lower than you expect, but at that point the value you set is irrelevant.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:11 PM
Matt Wieder

It's a bit of a funny area - it's used for insurance purposes but also has a correlation to the grading tiers. They once called me because I valued a raw card I had won at public auction for $1300 at $1000 (I figured $25 was enough to pay) and I had to bump to the same day service on it.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:48 PM
Merrill

thanks for the info---Merrill
Old 03-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Dave

For those experienced, I wonder if you can just send a submission in with your CC number and let SGC decide the bill?

I've got some pretty obscure cards I'd like to send in but I don't quite relish figuring out all the tiers, sizes, values, etc....
Old 03-20-2010, 09:53 PM
David McDonald

I just received a box of cards today from SGC so it's a pretty fresh topic for me. I think this will have been my fourth submittal to SGC and Brian and Michael have always made things super easy. I have attached a scan of my order which shows how loosy-goosy I filled out the form (I blocked out personal info, credit card number etc). They will come up with the Burdick numbers & years etc although if you can provide them I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. In my case I didn't enumerate the specific cards, just grouped them together into rough categories, gave ballpark values and, to make their life easier, provided them with quick'n'dirty scans of the cards. Sent 'em off registered mail, add money and stir, and voila'.

Edited to add upon re-reading the question: A few days after I mailed the package I called Brian in New Jersey to discuss the turnaround time and bill. You basically tell them how quick you want the cards back and they figure the bill and charge your CC. You can fine tune it yourself if you want to do the homework.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DMcD907.jpg (82.7 KB, 220 views)

Last edited by Kawika; 03-20-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:51 AM
Dave

Thanks for posting that David. Looks like you can just send them in a rough draft and let them take care of the billing part.

Funny, how long I've been in the hobby in one form or another.......I've had graded cards but I've never actually sent any in myself.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:55 AM
Matt Wieder

David - Did they let you valuate the Bonner H801-7 at $1000 and therefore only pay the $25?
Old 03-21-2010, 01:53 PM
David McDonald

Matt- I filled the form out in a big hurry and put in declared values off the top of my age-addled head. I just had a look at my invoice from Legendary and, lo, Bonner was $1500 plus the vig = $1777, so I was way off. No matter. My understanding is that the "declared value" is more for insurance purposes if something goes missing and that SGC would ascertain the appropriate grading tier on their end, which it appears they did because my receipt showed the calculation "2 x 50", presumably for Bonner and the Matty T3, and, gee, this is a long sentence, ain't it? Anyway, Brian D. can clarify the above if necessary next time he is cruising cyberspace.
Anyway, here is Bonner in his new home. Looks smashing, ja? My instructions to Brian were that if it was going to grade at 10 to label it as "Authentic" instead. No way Jose is that card "Poor", to these eyes at least, and I didn't want it saying so on the flip. When I am dead and gone the next owner can submit for a re-grade if he so chooses.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:06 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Funny, how long I've been in the hobby in one form or another.......I've had graded cards but I've never actually sent any in myself.
Addendum to D. Bergin: Same with me. After 7 or 8 years in the hobby, I made my first submittal across the table at the Chicago National and Michael Goldberg did all the work. I have subsequently made three more via mail, the first time with telephone assistance and a pep talk from Brian Dwyer. I had heard that PSA would rake you over the coals if you hadn't dotted the i's so I had my trepidations but with SGC it was easy pie.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Matt Wieder

David - because those two are oversized, my question was actually DOA because anything over $500 value is a $50 charge. I wasn't suggesting you did anything wrong by valuing it as you did; just curious how they handled it (or, rather, how they would have handled it if it wasn't oversized).

Looks great!

Last edited by Matt; 03-21-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Banned

David,

If you ever decided to sell the Bonner, do you think you'd get it re-graded so it wouldn't be in an "Authentic" holder? I've thought about doing just what you did, but the reason I haven't is because if I ever did decide to sell the card(s), I assume a grade of "Authentic" would lead people to assume alteration.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:02 PM
David McDonald

Rob: That's a good point and it did occur to me. My request to give an Authentic grade instead of a 10 Poor applied to all the cards I submitted and 7 or 8, primarily beater Zeenuts, came back Auth. Some of the cards are clearly altered (cf. the aerodynamic improvements made by some juvenile in 1921 on the ZN Pick), some more ambiguous (no obvious alterations to 14ZN Arlett). In fact, SGC did not disclose to me specifically whether any of the cards were bona fide Authentics or whether they were 10's that had been labeled according to my request. There is the possibility then that Bonner is, in fact, altered (although my trusty grading eye [<=joke] doesn't see anything suggesting that, nor do I recall Legendary's description, impeccably honest buggahs that they are [<=see above], mentioning such negatives). So if I were to sell Bonner I would be blowing smoke if I guaranteed a wary buyer it would grade numerically and the sensible thing to do would be to re-submit prior to selling. Short question, long answer. Whilst I own the card, however, its aesthetics as I perceive them are inconsistent with the word "Poor" and I would look at that designation with as much affection if it were an inkspot on his face.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:21 PM

Whenever I send in cards to SGC I tabulate value for insurance at what my replacement cost would be. If I have a lower grade card but I have spent 10 years trying to find it, I value it above book value for the grade because the chances are I won't find another for some time. That may not be how it is supposed to work but....
Old 03-21-2010, 03:29 PM
David McDonald

Addendum: Just in case anyone's not clear where I stand in the grading wars, I have one foot in Jim Crandall Plastic Fantastic Land and the other in the raw Kentucky swamps of Frank Wakefield. I am not one to lose any sleep or reach for the anti-depressants because my 3 shouldabeen a 4 but I like the fact that grading companies can authenticate cards and quantify value via grading tiers to facilitate cardboard commerce in our slimeball world. I also like the fact that cards are protected from overzealous handling (I remember one of the first fights I had with my wife. She had picked up a raw Obak like it was an English Muffin and I scolded her and she thought I was an idiot). And sometimes they just look good damn good in their plastic coffins, witness Matty below. Au contraire I like the look of a bunch of raw cards spread out across the table or in a book, naked and glorious as the Lord intended. So I collect both ways.