NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-31-2009, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Default Choosing an auction house for selling Autographs

Posted By: Rob

Hi Guys,

My friend and his dad want to sell off their entire collection of autographs.

Some highlights include DiMaggio and Mantle baseballs, 8x10's of Ted Williams, Koufax, Banks, F. Robinson, and many, many other HOFers.

I wasn't sure but I mentioned to him the best route might be via an auction house selling the collection as a whole. Now the research needs to begin.

The only ones authenticated right now are the Williams and Koufax 8x10s. Does he need to get them all authenticated before consignment, or would the auction house have a bulk deal and they can get it done? There might be up to 30 8x10's and quite a few baseballs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Rob

Old 03-31-2009, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

on how extensive/nice your friend's collection of autographs is. Many auction houses will eat the cost of authentication, assuming that the autographs have enough value and potential interest to bidders.

I'd recommend Huggins & Scott, as it seems like it may be a good auction house for that type of collection, although I think their consignment window has closed until their summer auction.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Seeing that these are not super high-end autographs, I would recommend Premier Auctions. They are very reputable, and pay consignors quickly. It sounds like your mdse. is right up their alley.

Below is the link, and they even have a consignment deadline soon approaching (April 10). I think this is your best bet, as Premier really specializes in autographed material, and the "big guys" would not accept this type of consignment.

Hope this is helpful...

PREMIER AUCTIONS LLC.
www.PremierAuctionsOnline.com

Old 03-31-2009, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Probably too late for H & S. Plus, they told me they aren't even considering lots with less than a $1,000 value. I found this hard to believe, since I have seen many lots sell for much less in their previous catalogs (and have won lots from them under $500).

Apparently, they have recently "raised the bar".

Old 03-31-2009, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

You're not kidding that "H & S" raised the bar. I consigned a piece of memorabilia back in their 1st auction several years ago. Now, they would use that item for wrapping paper for shipping.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

I would talk with Scott Gaynor, he will be having a special autograph auction

link below

http://gaynoranddentauctions.com/

I could help if you would like to sell some of your items at shows, just another option for you

Take care

Jimmy

J&B Sports Auctions

Old 03-31-2009, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the responses.

I think the biggest concern I had was the cost of authentication. I have seen many authenticated 8x10s of guys like Seaver, Ford, Palmer, etc.. go for as little as $15-$20 which is less than the cost of authentication at JSA. Knowing that, I told my friend that selling as a lot is better because if you put those 40 or so 8x10's and from what I now learned about 60 or so baseballs together it is a beautiful collection. But to get them all authenticated might not even be worth it, which is why I asked if auction houses typically eat the cost for a large collection.

I am working on getting a spreadsheet type list from him so I can see exactly what he has.

Thanks for the input, keep it coming.

Rob

Old 03-31-2009, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

Rob,

We offer substantial discounts for autographed items through James Spence Authentications which make it into our auction. We are accepting consignments for our August auction. Please call us at 1-866-462-2273 and mention to us you are from the Net 54 board and what you have.

Thanks,

James

Huggins & Scott Auctions

Old 03-31-2009, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Rob,

Also, could also try an autograph auction house. Here are 2 extremely reputable ones:

http://www.rrauction.com

http://www.alexautographs.com/

Old 03-31-2009, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

You may want to consider Hunt Auction's monthly sales. They are a good judge of autograph authenticity and if they believe it's real they will sell it without a COA and guarantee it's legitimacy.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Would the Hunt autograph auction typically sell close on par to another auction house that has the items authenticated?

Old 03-31-2009, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Is the Hunt company still considered an auction or is it a sales venue? I think that is what we took from Matt's communication with David Hunt, correct?

Old 03-31-2009, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

That's the first I've heard of that. They currently have one of their monthy auctions running as we speak. Beyond that, I really don't know. I'll be mildly disappointed if they shut down their monthly sales. There are usually decent deals to be had.

edit: Rob, I would say they sell on par with autograph sales less authentication fees. Ie.. if a Mantle would -typically- fetch $200 it would probably go for that price less whatever the typical Mantle authentication would cost. It still saves some hassle.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Leon,

Not so for the monthly phone/internet auctions. Those items start at $10 with no reserve (aside from a few featured items that have more value-appropriate reserves).

And, to answer Rob's question, the material in Hunt's internet auctions does very well. The type of stuff your friends wish to sell is featured in practically every phone/internet sale.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Larry

They're good at moving autographs fast.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

With multiple Mantle and DiMaggio signed balls, I think most to all auction houses might show interest, though the biggest might offer it as one lot. A good Mantle signed ball goes for a few hundred or more these days.