NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-15-2008, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Default Reproductions fetching decent $$

Posted By: Scott Levy

The same seller who recently auctioned off a honus wagner with red hindu back is now selling a Cobb / Cobb Back (on a green cobb with a black back).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Extremely-Rare-Ty-Cobb-T206_W0QQitemZ320228482603QQihZ011QQcategoryZ86841 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This guy says that its being "sold as a reproduction though it doesn't show any signs of being one.". I suppose that this technically protects him. Perhaps I'm just a bit surprised what fakes like that wagner have sold for, although thankfully stew_p took that one down. Am I just being too protective and need to let a few ignorant people find out the hard way?

-Scott

Old 03-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

When the bidders names are hidden, you can't know what was the sell price on these kinds of items. Someone who would sell a fake with deceptive description could also be a shiller. In fact, with hidden ids and dubious prices, you can't be sure there was a single legitimate bid.

Often in shilled auctions, the seller (or friend) is the winner, as he or she was busing trying to rise the win price. Thus, in a shilled auction, there may not be a real, outside person who won the lot. The pricing and bids may say one thing, but the item actually went unsold.

Prior to eBay making all bidder ids, private auctions (with ids hidden) was considered by many to be a haven for shill bidding-- as it prevented outsiders from seeing who was doing the bidding. Many bidders followed the rule to avoid private auctions, as it indicated, or at least suggested, that the seller had something to hide-- in particular considering 99+ percent of eBay auctions were not private. Prior to eBay making all auctions private, the experienced eBayer would simply ignore the pricing on private auctions, as there was no way to know that bidding was legitimate. The bidding information was literally and purposefully hidden from view.

So I would question the assumption that reproductions are selling for good money, as eBay doesn't provide reliable information, in particular when talking about the pricing for intentionally deceptive auctions. However, I have no doubt that there are suckers out there who fall for what we would consider obvious scams.

The best thing you can do is to be good and honest seller, and give your customers authentic items. If someone bypasses your good and honest auctions and purchase from known scammers, there's nothing you can do about it.

It should be noted that many people who buy from scammers are trying to get "steals" ("All the other Ty Cobbs are going for $1000, but this one is only $199.") or are even thinking they are pulling a fast one on an ignorant seller (scammers often feign ignorance). Many of the scammed are actually acting unethically (at least to a degree), but are too ignorant for it to work out in their favor. Many simply let greed get in the way of common sense.

I've had complete newbies read the articles on my website and ask me for further advice before they buy their first grade Gd T206 common, and I've had people ignore my advice that they are buying an obviously fake T206 Ty Cobb tobacco card. There's nothing you can do about the latter-- they won't listen to you and are only going to learn from their own mistakes. Considering I've had a retired grandmother email for advice about buying baseball cards for her grandson's birthday and a 7 year old girl in Australia email me to help identify an antique photo she found, I don't spend my time worrying about the idiot on eBay trying to "score steals." If a 7 year old girl can do her homework, anyone can.

Besides for the real collector, the one actually interested in the material, doing the homework (otherwise known as "learning about the material") is half the fun of collecting. Someone who doesn't want to do the homework is likely in it simply for the money. The irony being that not doing homework is the best predictor that someone will lose money.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

From what I can tell, most of the reprints that sell for higher dollar amounts are simply shill bidders anyways. What is sad regarding the whole reprint market on Ebay is Ebay has no incentive to ever remove the listings because it is a very healthy revenue stream.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I've done my part with a long email to ebay asking them to remove the reprints from the pre-war card section and detailing at great length why. I don't know if anyone else has done the same but everyone bitches about it around here but very few actually do anything about it, vis a vis letting ebay know. It probably won't do a damn bit of good but at least if enough ebayers send emails they might actually consider a separate category for reprints. Of course this doesn't address the other issue, the scammers and weasels who don't even bother stating their cards are fake, but at least it would get rid of the deluge of "sold as a reproduction even though I don't see the word reprint on it" and "sold as a reprint because ebay says it has to be graded" and "sold as a reprint priod" cards.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

TBob _ I let ebay know about it for quite a while before I started bitching about it on the board. It was ebay's lack of response that caused my frustration.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Administrator

The seller says "I am selling it as a reproduction even though it doesn't show any signs of being one."

The age old story of it walks like a duck, talks like a duck and acts like a duck, but eBay rules say I must sell it as a cow.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Three simple rules for newbie eBay bidders (and by 3 I don't mean the only 3):

1) The seller has to unequivocally say what it is. Saying it's a T206 Ty Cobb then later saying (or suggesting) it's a reprint isn't saying what it is. In fact, it's not saying what it is.

2) Don't bid with sellers who invoke eBay rules that don't exist.

3) Use common sense. For example, ask yourself why would a seller who believes a $5,000 card is real be selling it as a reprint? Common sense answer: He wouldn't. In other words, common sense would say he doesn't believe the card is real. No one offers a card he sincerely and seriously thinks original and worth $5,000 as a $10 reprint. He might offer a card he thinks a reprint for $10, but not one he thinks original.

Look at it this way, if a guy offered you a $5,000 bill for $10, what would you think? At the very least, you'd be highly suspicious of the offer.

As the saying goes, for $20,000 you can't get a T206 Honus Wagner, but you can get a reprint.