NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-20-2005, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Default Fraudulent seller on eBay - CAREFUL

Posted By: Ken Roili

Hi everyone, check out ebay 5232009706

This seller has scammed others like this

- For autographs, he traces them AFTER getting the JSA or PSA/DNA LOA and then later if you catch him, he says "I got it like this, the seller must have frauded me!"
- For cards, he is known to buy nice stuff, and carefully crack the PSA seal, put in a lower grade (like a high end PSA 5 into a PSA 6 or 7 holder for the same card), and then re submits the same card again. Rinse and repeat.

The average collector puts the card away in his/her box/personal collection, assuming the PSA label says it's good and a certain grade, never to realize anything until it's too late.

In terms of the autos, check out this email Spence sent me when I pointed out the signed Cobb fraud
NOTE: seller has an update saying "the LOA and SPENCE to be unconditionally and 100% authentic, untraced "

Spence says: "Just wanted to let you know I just spoke to Jim and we did some
research on the baseball. When we saw the item in our office and authenticated it, the Cobb signature was very faint and is now clearly enhanced.

It is extremely unfortunate that is situation is present on ebay, however we feel confident that if the buyer would come to us we have the necessary documentation to prove the item was enhanced after our letter was written."

Anyone else been ripped off by this guy?

Old 08-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Did you message the bidders in the auction? $1000 is a good bit of money to give to a scammer

Old 08-20-2005, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken Rioli

I tried to but since eBay will not let me send an email since I am a new eBay user (I only recently hopped on the eBay wagon --- was a simple minded, offline, show hopping collector and finally crossed to the 21st century). Any suggestions?

Old 08-20-2005, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

taken care of....I sent them the link to this thread and they can make up their own minds.

However, I must say that the seller does have good feedback

Brian

Old 08-20-2005, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Im sorry, but where exactly is the evidence that this seller is ripping people off - accusations aside, you havent shown me anything to support your claim.

1. You state that he cracks out high grade cards - and sends buyers lower grade cards while resubmitting the high grade card that he kept. Show me some evidence of this.

2. You state that the seller enhanced the autograph and you purport to provide an email from Jim Spence - yet, you havent provided any email, you've simply typed what you want us to see. If you are going to make this kind of claim, I think you need to show me the actual email. You also need to show me what evidence you have that this particular seller is the one who enhanced the product.

This seller has decent feedback and I have purchased an e98 Honus Wagner from him. Yet I will likely not purchase from him again because he took over a month to ship my card. He is a pain in the a$$ and at the time, he made all kinds of excuses for why he hadnt shipped the card, but in the end, I did get it (and it was w/o question the same one I purchased). I also know several other people who have had similar experiences. Nevertheless, I think we need to see some actual proof of these very serious charges.

Old 08-20-2005, 09:23 PM
Administrator

I just sent you the email thread. Feel free to call Jimmy on Monday if you don't believe me! Anyone else can feel free to ask me, and I will forward you the exact email from Ashley Davenport of Spence LOA, who responds to all inquiries. I only knew how to cut and paste from the email here, which is why I did that --- I didn't type anything, I pasted what I got from them.

In terms of if he enhanced the item itself, he won the item on eBay with his very ID. That item is now past 60 days so you cannot see it on eBay anymore. I can guarantee this.

So let's see --- he bought it as shown in the LOA, light signature, waited 60 days so nobody can see the old posting, and now he has it up for sale himself as one that Spence says is traced. Enough proof?

In terms of the cards, all I have to say is, don't complain later if your card upon resubmission comes back with no slab or evidence trimming. All I am saying is buyer's beware. Remember, every con artist sells SOME good stuff to build trust and get feedback.

FACT: this guy, Brad Anderson, is claiming it as untraced ---- yet as Spence himself says in his email to me, he is sure the knowledgable collector will see the picture in the LOA and the picture on the eBay item and see the blantant difference.

Old 08-20-2005, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

If you click on my name, it shows my email address. Thanks, all I want is to make sure that there is something to back up accusations like these before a "mob mentality" begins to rule. For what its worth, I sold the e98 wagner that was purchased from this seller - it was an sgc 30. A subsequent buyer resubmitted it and it now resides in a GAI 3 slab - a full grade higher.

Old 08-20-2005, 10:48 PM
Administrator

I understand, Josh. I emailed it to you.

Like I was saying, sellers like him are VERY smart. Gain trust, gain feedback, and then make some high ticket killings when nobody suspects it. I bought 3 high end cards from him --- 2 good, 1 bad (came back as a reprint). Not a good ratio there. And the Cobb auto is blatant and like you saw in the email sent to you, confirmed by Spence as traced and that the seller knows it's traced.

Old 08-21-2005, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean Coe

Josh, I had a similar experience to yours except in my case I was the seller. He purchased a signed 1934 AL All-Star from me on Ebay and then delayed paying me for over 3 weeks. I was patient but the excuses wore thin. To his credit he finally did pay but I don't think I'd do business with him again