NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Graig Kreindler

Default Mantle/Mays magazine clipping...

Hey all,

Hope everyone's having a great holiday and gearing up for a safe New Years.

I was wondering if any of you have ever seen this magazine clipping before:

It's from an eBay auction, and the seller has no idea where it came from. Since I would love to get my hands on the image of Mantle for a painting, I don't necessarily want to spend a couple of hundred dollars for darn thing. I don't think it's from Sports Illustrated, and the color ink (from what I can make out) seems more akin to Sport Magazine or something like Colliers. Anyone have any thoughts? If it does any good to know, the image is most likely from '56.

Thanks!

Graig
Old 12-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Barry Sloate

Before I finished reading what you wrote I was saying that it looks like Sport Magazine... but it's just a guess.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I was thinking the same thing...sure looks like Sport Magazine. I guess we have to assume that those photos are from the 1962 world series so maybe Oct 62 through the beginning of baseball season 63 as a starting point.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:36 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Graig,
Thank you.
I have been on this board for about six months and have shown my stuff, did some business, and stared with awe and amazement at other people collections. Now, Finally! I get to add something that I know to the general welfare of the board.

As you can see on my photobucket site, I have a very extensive run of Sport magazines. The rest of the run, including 1946 to around 1980, is not scanned as of yet. This picture is from the Dec 1957 edition of Sport Magazine, page 18.

I will scan it and send you a high res tiff when I get home later.

Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 12-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Graig Kreindler

Man, I love you guys. Seriously. I can't find a group of people who would be more willing or eager to help out a fool like me.

Mark, a high res scan would be INCREDIBLE. I'll have to pay you back somehow, so keep that in mind. Have you (or any other Sport Magazine fans) ever seen shots of Mantle or other stars like this? I mean, I LOVE these shots from behind home plate - they make for AMAZING paintings.

Thanks again everyone...

Graig
Old 12-30-2009, 04:17 PM
FredYoung

Default Sport Magazine

Mark--

Just took a look at your site display of SPORT mags--Very well done!
Do you have EVERY issue from 1946 to 1980?

Back when I was a kid I got a subscription to SPORT magazine, starting in 1951, and I still have today every original issue I received from 1951 until the 3rd month of 1958!

I'm sure you know there was NO issue done for Jan 1952?
Old 12-30-2009, 06:19 PM
Rick P

Default October 11, 1926 Current Illustrated News

Graig, here's one you'll like...four fantastic images of the Bambino taken in his famous three-homer game against Cardinal pitching in the 1926 World Series. I'll send you scans of any or all of the four shots if you wish. I can't wait to see you bring color to this baby!

"...sends the horsehide pill out for an aerial sight-seeing tour." Man, what a caption!

Last edited by Oldtix; 12-31-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Graig Kreindler

Wow. Wow. Wow.

I've actually seen two of those photos on Getty and Corbis, but never the whole thing. I had no idea it was a part of the Illustrated Current News collection (they always have such great photos, don't they?).

These are the kind of images I absolutely LIVE for. I think I mentioned on one of the boards before, if I found a sequence of Gehrig from this angle, I might have a heart attack.

If you're willing to send me scans of these, I am definitely down with that. I'd be happy to pay you for your troubles too, just PM me.

Thank you so much for showing this!

Graig
Old 12-30-2009, 08:27 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Fred,
Thanks for the kind words.
My father and I started them in the 80s. From 1946 through 1985, we were probably around 95% complete depending on if the "Who's Who in Sports" and "Annual" editions existed every year through the mid 80s or not.
We stopped collecting in the early 90's. Only recently have I gotten them out and started to scan them.
We got most of them autographed at shows when auto prices we actually reasonable for most people. Williams, Mantle, and Dimaggio were the most expensive at $7 - 10 per item.
He has since passed away, but it brings back a lot of memories of our adventures together when I go through them.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:09 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Mark, that's a nice run of Sport magazines you have scanned and I especially like when they are signed. Do you still get them signed? I was able to get the 1951 Yogi Berra issue last year and had him sign it at the hall of fame...first time that I had met him and it was a real treat. I also won a signed Tommy Henrich 1950 a few years back that I really like. Although his playing days were long over when I was growing up, I still remember him fondly from the old Sports Challenge game show with Dick Endberg. Henrich seemed to always get the right answer!!
I had a question about your 1954 Stan Musial issue. I was just wondering if there was a story behind Mickey Mantle signing the cover?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-31-2009, 09:38 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Mike,
I still do get them signed, but with prices so high at shows and online, alot of times I would rather spend that money on other stuff. I did recently splurge and get the Aug 1951 cover signed by Yogi(haven't updated the pic yet). (I drove 2hours to Secaucus to get hime to sign that and another book, which was the real reason I went. He and Johnny Bench wound up looking through the mag. Bench told Berra, he was really pumped up when he was younger. Both got a good laugh. Yogi also tallked about his wife who was pictured inside. It was really pretty cool.) Another issue for me is that many of the magazines have pictures inside which are signed, so buying one with the cover signed may not help me. I am working on scanning the covers first. Then I will work on posting the inside pics.
I have begun to investigate sending some mags to people through the mail to have them sign. I did get favorable responses from a few older football players, like Charley Trippi and Johnny Lujack. We will see how it works out.

The story behing the Musial/Mantle cover is this. If you went to shows in the 1980's, you know that Mantle was a signing machine, who was often drunk at the shows. If you didn't get the page turned fast enough, he signed whatever was in front of him. I have another Sport mag from 1956, I think, with Billy Pierce on the cover, signed by Mantle and Pierce. Same story.

Fred,
Also, either I didn't know or don't remember knowing that the Jan 1952 edition doesn't exist. Thanks. Now I won't go crazy trying to hunt it down.

Last edited by Lordstan; 12-31-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:07 AM
Chuck Tapia

oh my...that ruth photo is sick and so are you Graig but in a good way. I also love your work and would love to have one in my collection. Way to solve this one. I like the photo, now that you don't need it, don't try to snipe me
Old 12-31-2009, 10:43 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Mark, I kinda thought that might be the story behind the Mantle signing. Sounds like we encountered some of the same type of stuff back in the 80's. I remember waiting almost 2 extra hours for Mickey and Whitey to come down from their hotel room (they were staying at the hotel where the show was) and I was told by a fellow in line (he was also staying at the hotel) that Mickey and Whitey were really knocking them back until closing time at the hotel bar. I guess I got lucky because Mickey was as nice as could be and even posed for a picture with me.
One good thing with the economy the way it is, is that a lot of show promoters are lowering some of the prices...still kinda high but you can still find some bargains that you can mail order to.
Good luck on sending them in to the players themselves. I have not tried that yet, but have a Dick Green Sporting news that I need signed, and he doesn't seem to do any shows that I know of. I just got his address the other day and will probably send it off next week.
Thanks,
Mike