NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Default New Years Resolutions: Staying true?

Posted By: David Poses

I decided sometime late in '08 that I was going to limit my focus to exclusively Yankees/Highlanders cards. (Although, a few weeks into '09, I created a loophole which allows for purchases of minor league T205ers.). Within this scope, I am determined to put together NY-AL subsets, with some sets being low grade and raw and some being mid-grade and slabbed.

So far I've managed to stick with the plan and feel very good about maintaining the discipline to resist buying stuff I don't need even if its a T211 Bayless at a ridiculously low price.

I know everybody has a different way to go about collecting, but for me, its been much more satisfying to feel like I'm building a focused collection as opposed to the freewheelin' approach I had been taking since I got into vintage about 5 years ago with much stop/starting on various sets.

Another resolution I made was to be more present on this board. This one I haven't been too good at sticking to. I look at the board everyday- I've seen the occasional post by a veteran complaining about the guys who seldom post on the board but have a lot on the BST at any given moment. That resonated with me because I know I've been that guy more than not. I see all of you as a great resource (not to mention entertaining and funny)- I post on the board when I feel like I have something to say or something meaningful to offer. For the most part though, I recognize that as an unknown, I don't have much credibility, so my opinion on how to handle an eBay transaction gone wrong, whether card X deserves the grade it got, or whether Overprint X is legit is moot. And with my limited knowledge, I can't offer information about whether the photo used of Player X was taken by Photographer Y during a game in St. Louis on a Thursday which was also the first time anybody ate a hot dog at a ballpark. Regardless, I know that as my collection and hobby knowledge grows, I'll have more to give back to the hobby and this board. Hopefully 2009 will bring lots of both.

So... how is your New Years resolution holding up? Have you maintained your focus?

Here is my favorite pickup of '09, so far:

1914 Cracker Jack Peckinpaugh SGC 40

Old 02-24-2009, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I think you and I have done a deal or two. The great thing about this board and this hobby is that you can do entirely whatever you want to and shouldn't feel bad or feel the need to explain. It's ALL good. I hear the same chatter as you but really just let it go. If someone wants to participate then that's great. If they only want to lurk, then more power to them. If they only want to use the BST pages and nothing else....hey, that is wonderful too. take care

Old 02-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I've been the one who has suggested that the BST should be limited to those who are actively part of the community, but I recognize there are a lot of people out there who collect but may not feel comfortable posting. So as Leon says, it's not a big deal.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

My plan is in a state of confusion. I've been a Ruth, Cobb, & postcard collector for a long time, but now I'm constantly thinking about N28 & N162 19th century stuff. That happened about a week ago, & it happened without warning. I'm still pursuing dead ball era postcards, & unique Ruth items, but now I'm focused on N cards, & feeling a little confused. It must be a delayed reaction to falling off my roof about a year ago....

Old 02-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Poses

Thanks guys. I'm sure its my own internal Jewish guilt thing- I feel like I'm taking something (knowledge and entertainment) from the board without giving back. Either way, this is an amazingly deep hobby and I'm just happy to have the means to collect what I collect and the resources like this board and other sites at my fingertips.

It's going to be an interesting year. With the economy in the toilet, I imagine there will be more bargains to be had as the year progresses which will make it tougher to stick with my program. One of the cards I resisted recently was a T211 Bayless on Heritage Auctions on Sunday. I think it went way too cheap (as did the Peckinpaugh above, IMO).

Old 02-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

Don't beat yourself up about the Bayless, I think it went in line (~$400) with other cards of the grade although it was a nice example for the grade. If I had thought it was cheap I would have bid on it again happy.gif

Old 02-24-2009, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I've got no problems with lurkers using the B/S/T. I would guess that more than half of the items I sell on that side are to people I don't know.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

David - Don't worry about it. Just enjoy the hobby any way you want. Some people observe Yom Kippur, some don't. wink.gif