NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-07-2018, 05:42 PM
Larry

I don't know about the percentages, but I was familiar with all of them, which I don't think is any great feat. Probably most sports fans who also collect sports cards can say the same.

Best wishes,

Larry
Old 03-07-2018, 05:51 PM
Derek Granger

Im embarrassed to say that i dont even know who George Mikan is. I do know Vezina only because of our fellow Net54 member with his card as an avatar. Im too lazy to even look him up right now. Haha!

Aside from Ruth and Cobb (and maybe Wagner / Cy Young), I doubt my wife could name one other pre-war baseball player. Shed maybe know five names on your entire list. Ill ask her tonight to verify/refute my intuition. Might quickly get the percentages significantly lower if shes representative of the general female population. She would know Mantle and a few others just because her dad liked them growing up (shes 36). Yogi Berra (not listed) would probably also be higher than the prototypical HOfer because of his yogi-isms.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 192/323 (59.4%)
1911 T332 Helmar Stamps.................: 177/180 (98.3%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 95/118 (80.5%)
1923 V100 Willard's Choc...................: 88/180 (48.9%)
Old 03-07-2018, 05:58 PM
Ben North

My guess would be Ali and Ruth would be around 90% and all others wouldn't be half of your estimate.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:54 PM
Eddie S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camlov2 View Post
how do you determine "is familiar with"? Do you show them a picture and ask who it is? Do you give them a name and ask what they are known for? I think the percents can be varied by a great deal depending on how you set up the survey.

I think Pele is too high either way.
You are probably overthinking this. I was just looking for some general thoughts.

Either way, I guess I was really wrong on Pele. That's cool, though. I knew my thoughts would be off on some of the people listed. Like I wrote earlier, a post in the Charleston and Clemente thread got me to pondering who is well known today and who isn't.

I appreciate all the responses.

Last edited by Bored5000; 03-07-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:01 PM
Eddie S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Im embarrassed to say that i dont even know who George Mikan is. I do know Vezina only because of our fellow Net54 member with his card as an avatar. Im too lazy to even look him up right now. Haha!

Aside from Ruth and Cobb (and maybe Wagner / Cy Young), I doubt my wife could name one other pre-war baseball player. Shed maybe know five names on your entire list. Ill ask her tonight to verify/refute my intuition. Might quickly get the percentages significantly lower if shes representative of the general female population. She would know Mantle and a few others just because her dad liked them growing up (shes 36). Yogi Berra (not listed) would probably also be higher than the prototypical HOfer because of his yogi-isms.
George Mikan's card from the 1948 Bowman set is one of the iconic basketball cards in the hobby. A PSA 10 sold for $403,000 a few years ago.

Bill Russell has often said that Mikan was his hero growing up.

https://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/ba...mikan-69/3629/
Old 03-07-2018, 07:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
George Mikan's card from the 1948 Bowman set is one of the iconic basketball cards in the hobby. A PSA 10 sold for $403,000 a few years ago.

Bill Russell has often said that Mikan was his hero growing up.

https://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/ba...mikan-69/3629/
He surpassed him, and then some, pretty quickly.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:18 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

GRETZKY!

Cal Ripken

I dont think most people even know current stars.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:25 PM
Sam Lemoine

I am a high school teacher. Kids will ask me to listen to their music. I NEVER recognize the artists. They always ask me the same question: "How can you not know who this is?"

So, I am never surprised when people don't recognize the athletes that I know so well, because I don't know the young stars that are so important to them.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:32 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Id say George Foreman is more recognizable than many on this list...certainly Smokin Joe seems especially elevated.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

See my SGC HOF Collection here:
http://www.sgccard.com/customsetcomposition.aspx?id=463
Old 03-07-2018, 07:45 PM

I think all the top athletes are way overstated. Even if you limit your sample group to adult English speaking people it is still overstated. Many people could care less about sports and a non-trivial amount of the people in the U.S. are illiterate (14.5% based on 2003 data).