NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Default SCP Auction timer is not working right at closing

Posted By: Jim Clarke

Anyone having issues with the 30 minute clock tonight after 12:00pm. Lots that said there are 12 minutes left to bid are now closed and lots that I have been high on for over 30 minutes are still active to the public to bid... Not happy about this and already have a call in to them... JC

Old 12-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim F

Same thing happened last time, but worse.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:15 PM
Administrator

I'm very upset with their error on the website timer. I was told the "IT" guy is on it... I missed out on 8-10 T4's where I was planning on winning at least 4 of them. I was just waiting to the end to see what the best value was on each one depending on the grade... Then BAMMMM They are gone and closed with 12 minutes left in the auction...

Old 12-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DR

The same thing happened to me! I thought it was just me so rebooted my router and computer. The timer was stuck on < 1 min. and I was the high bidder...talk about painful. Then after rebooting and clearing out all of my cookies, temporary files, etc. the timer jumped to 15 minutes? Fortunately, this did not change anything and I won the (2) auctions. Also, if you are curious, I had (1) higher bid in place and SCP did NOT run me to my limit (but one never knows anything). A confirmation (high bidder) email has yet to arrive. A catalog was necessary due to the poor software. Mastro and several others with image (gallery) views is a must. Images are critical. The other auction houses with poor software (in my opinion) are Mile High and Hunt Auctions.

Old 12-02-2006, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

i had the same problem, very frusterating...overall they do a super job, i love SCP...been dealing with them for years, however i have to say their POPs were off on MANY T206 cards...my associate and i walked away with many of the high-grade cards, was a fun auction.

MS

Old 12-02-2006, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich W.

This happened badly in their past auction and it just happened in Hunt's internet sale on Wednesday.

Rich W

Old 12-02-2006, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

It was absurd. Some closed sooner than they should have, others lasted longer. The result was I was shut out of some and stuck with others. Oh well.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I agree. I was going to bid, again, on several T4's but they were closed...seemingly early. I was shut out too....

Old 12-02-2006, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Loewke

Greetings all. I have to confess, that with this type of auction where snipe bidding is rendered totally useless, why not bid your best offer earlier than near the end and risk a problem like that? Is it a matter of hoping to outlast an east coast bidder by extending the time he or she must wait to determine if they won? If true and you think you might bid again, shouldn't you have placed your best bid earlier? In this type of auction, where the house has no clue as to your proxy bid, isn't it the safest way to bid on an item that you really want? I fully understand we all have ideosyncracies in our cardboard purchasing and that you should bid how you want; it is a little perplexing to me and I would be naturally curious as to the "why" if anyone would like to offer their reasons. I got 2 lots myself in this auction.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

If we can't get what we "really" want, we can't give high bids on our 2nd, 3rd, etc. choices. Those have to be played by the minute, otherwise, we will have given high bids on 10 different items and potentially be stuck with them all. It's not as easy as it may seem.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I was watching about 20 lots and could have only afforded a few. I was waiting to see where things would go. I thought since I had put in early bids in order to bid in extended hours I would be safe. I left the computer for a while and went back to see most of the lots I was watching closed. I am not positive of the their timing but it seemed to be off a little...There was nothing I "HAD" to have so no big deal.....I probably would have bid more aggressively, earlier, if there was one of those items. There will be another T4 I can pick up.....best regards

Old 12-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Loewke

Yes, I did not take into account the multiple bid item scenario. It does make sense now. For me, I was down to 3 lots as high bidder at 11 PM east coast and went away. If I had "won" the last lot, it would not have killed the bank account. It is different when you are going for high priced lots.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

as the auction "evolved", and i was outbid on many items, i re-prioritzed the lots i really wanted and that were a good value (below market), and i "attacked"...so much happens during closing time...

Old 12-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Wonder why Alan at SCP never called me back the night of the auction? He said he would. If the timer breaks down during the closing period it throws the entire auction in another direction. I think it gets tainted a little. I like many people bid on what we feel is a good value at closing time. When a lot shows a 12 minutes and then a minute later it's closed??? What's wrong here... Glad I was NOT a consigner and I'm still a little upset that some lots got away from me. Plus, all s@$t would have hit the fan if one of my lots I was high on got topped after 30 minutes had expired. They ran some of those lots past closing time when they said they had to "reset" some lots... I have never had a bad experience with them until now... Thanks for the call back ALAN! JC

Old 12-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

This morning (Saturday) I received an automated reminder e-mail that the auction was open and all lots were closing this evening. Nice going . . .

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 12-03-2006, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DR

but as much as I want to 100% fault SCP, most problems were due to individual computers or routers (modems) requiring recycling (off/on) and/or clearing out temporary files, etc. Earlier in the week, I was not even able to connect to scpauctions.com website and called to ask what was going on. The tech issues are MUCH deeper and need to be addresses by SCP sooner then later. Tony was very helpful and suggested turning off/on my router and file deletions and it worked for me. I am not convinced the timer malfunctioned because most likey others had personal tech issues. However, I am not 100% sure either way and would like SCP to make a public statement ASAP!

Old 12-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Unfortunately there is no such thing in the auction business as a "do over", but this comes about as close as one can get. You question the validity of the final prices.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Griffin's

I experienced the same thing about 20 minutes into OT on this auction. I was outbid, and when the clock wasn't moving I put a bid in. When it reset it had started from my bid.
This happened last spring during Mastro as well- and they kept adding time to the entire auction. After that I started timing the lots I was going after, and it was a good thing on this auction. It did not have to do with my router or modem, but SCP's server.
Moot point as it turned out, the lot I won was just about the last to close.