NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-24-2012, 03:53 PM
Jim M.arinari

Default Local Auction help

Was at this auction last month and they had a TON of autographed stuff (5 Ali, 10 Koufax, 500 HR club, Mantles galore). Almost all had a COA from some guy with an AOL email address, can't remember his name. I told anyone around me that I would not bid on this crap, but it all sold. Now, they have another batch, a lot of it similar to last month. How can I get this place to reconsider screwing people? And I know, buyers need to research, but when the auctioneer is saying "Guaranteed Authentic, comes with a COA!" most casual "fans" will jump. Here is the link, autos are down a bit.

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/ph...ry=0&zip=&kwd=
Old 04-24-2012, 04:34 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Yuck, porcelain signed baseballs. Some look to be certified by GAI, depending on when they were authenticated, they were very reputable in the beginning with Gutierrez.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Chuck Tapia

all of the Mantles I found are clear cut forgeries. Some who have the forgers best friend Christopher MORAL LESS. Not a problem though because the buyers are f'ing morons and it really doesn't hurt anybody. When PSA & JSA make mistakes...it hurts people. This is a crime that only affects the Legally moronic././ I hope this helps Anyone buying anything from this auction ZIP site simply has SHIT FOR BRAINS, so I could care less.

The autograph industry has jumped so far over the shark it is sickening from where I sit. Some will say this isn't a problem. It's only a problem if you are a jack ass and buy it. MARK MY WORDS....I WILL never PURCHASE ANOTHER AUTOGRAPH AS LONG AS I LIVE. TOO many f faces in the forgery business for my liking and the scum bag loser at Auction Zip is another example of a PIMPLE that needs to be popped by the authorities.

The forgers and sellers like this auctionzip jack ass knows what we all know. Law enforcementis completly inept just like all government and could give a rats ass. They have to stop Marijuana first., while poeple are all f'ed up and addicted to harmful substances like alcohol, tobacco & prescription drugs... fake autographs don't rate so all you forgers!!!! Have at it. There is still obviouslly a large enough audience of idoits out there so go get em. If they want to be complete idiots...just let them, who really cares. They get what they want a cheap thrill and the forgers get what they want...their money so it's a win win.

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 04-24-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Jim M.arinari

As I look closer, some are eBay-banned CSC.

This is a live, in-person auction that allows internet bids. Auction Zip just list all auctions, sorta like your newspaper does in the classifieds. So it's not "Auction Zip idiots." FWIW
Old 04-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
Was at this auction last month and they had a TON of autographed stuff (5 Ali, 10 Koufax, 500 HR club, Mantles galore). Almost all had a COA from some guy with an AOL email address, can't remember his name. I told anyone around me that I would not bid on this crap, but it all sold. Now, they have another batch, a lot of it similar to last month. How can I get this place to reconsider screwing people? And I know, buyers need to research, but when the auctioneer is saying "Guaranteed Authentic, comes with a COA!" most casual "fans" will jump. Here is the link, autos are down a bit.

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/ph...ry=0&zip=&kwd=
Junk, junk, junk. They must get their inventory from Always at Auction... The home of the $14.95 Mantles.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:39 AM
Richard Simon

Those $14.95 Mantle's (plus $22 shipping , don't forget that mini scam), sure get around.
As do all the other suk pieces of sh-- in that auction.
What goes around comes around T.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 04-25-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
all of the Mantles I found are clear cut forgeries. Some who have the forgers best friend Christopher MORAL LESS. Not a problem though because the buyers are f'ing morons and it really doesn't hurt anybody.

There is still obviouslly a large enough audience of idoits out there so go get em. If they want to be complete idiots...just let them, who really cares.
This is an ignorant statement. When I was new to the hobby back in the 90s, I bought items from Coach's Corner. I loved sports and thought this was neat stuff - am I an "f'ing moron"?

Fortunately I learned my lesson quickly and got rid of the few junk items I bought, and it didn't discourage me from this great hobby though I was out a few hundred bucks or so. But how many people don't know how to do their homework, buy these forgeries (maybe as a gift for a loved one who like sports?) and then are turned off of a great hobby when they lose some money? A good deal, I'm sure.

I think I've got some common sense (and a Harvard master's degree, FWIW), so I'd like to think that taking a leap of faith with an autograph I didn't research doesn't make me an f'ing moron.

Sometimes people need to think a bit before making a statement - geez...

Scott S@r!@n

Last edited by scooter729; 04-25-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:31 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
This is an ignorant statement. When I was new to the hobby back in the 90s, I bought items from Coach's Corner. I loved sports and thought this was neat stuff - am I an "f'ing moron"?

Fortunately I learned my lesson quickly and got rid of the few junk items I bought, and it didn't discourage me from this great hobby though I was out a few hundred bucks or so. But how many people don't know how to do their homework, buy these forgeries (maybe as a gift for a loved one who like sports?) and then are turned off of a great hobby when they lose some money? A good deal, I'm sure.

I think I've got some common sense (and a Harvard master's degree, FWIW), so I'd like to think that taking a leap of faith with an autograph I didn't research doesn't make me an f'ing moron.

Sometimes people need to think a bit before making a statement - geez...

Scott S@r!@n
spoken like a true collector with more money than brains.... I stand by my ignorant comment that people are basically idiots who buy this stuff with more money than brains. If you find it fun, that 50% of all autographs and probably 100% on that site alone are forgeries...please be my guest, enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ZEEEEEEE what FUN!!!!!!

and yes, buying an autograph you know nothing about with all the forgeries out there DOES make you a moron. Sorry to break it to you. Maybe not a legal moron, because you did prove you could learn a few things, but sadly others don't. I stand by my original comment that if you buy autographs from a place like AUCTION ZIP the home of the forgery, yes you are an IDIOT and not a little idiot.... a BIG ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!With or with-out an ivy league college degree.

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 04-25-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Brock

Fuddjcal,
So because I go on auctionzip to find auctions, I guess I have shit for brains? It's a website to find local auctions, which not all of them sell trash.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
Fuddjcal,
So because I go on auctionzip to find auctions, I guess I have shit for brains? It's a website to find local auctions, which not all of them sell trash.
Funny though how I have never seen a legitimate autograph on that site....so THEY are a bredding GROUND FOR FORGERIES...I just call them as I see them....Crooks know that site is an easy mark and they are on it like fly's on shit.....If you buy autographs on that site...you have a better chance of winning a game of pick-up stix with your butt cheeks than finding a legitimate autograph there. so if you are searching that site for autographs...yes you are an idiot. You may be a reasonable guya and a smart one in other aspects of your life but where autographs are concerned only a complete cheap, jack ass would by from that site.....Have at it. i'v esaid all I'm going to say about it. If you want to try and outsmart them...go right ahead Einstein
Old 04-25-2012, 11:49 AM
Brock

Not all the auctions on there sell sports or autographs. Why don;t you actually look at the site and try to find other items besides just sports. And if you look at the real auctions, you can actually find real sports stuff in some considering most of the auctions on auctionzip are nothing but your local auctions. I'm referring to the auction search part, not the online bidding part.

Last edited by yanks12025; 04-25-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:32 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

AuctionZip is just a platform that enables live auctions to entertain internet bids in their auctions. Same as ArtFact, Proxibid, etc. The only thing AuctionZip sells is online auction capability to local auction houses. It makes no more sense to blame AuctionZip for someone selling forgeries than it does to blame eBay for selling you a fake autograph, or to blame Google for showing you where you can buy that fake autograph.

Identify and avoid the Local Auction Houses selling the fakes, not the software they use.

Otherwise, I expect to hear board members cursing HP for printing up all these fake autos and shaking their fists at Al Gore for creating that darned internet that sold the crap to them

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 04-25-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
AuctionZip is just a platform that enables live auctions to entertain internet bids in their auctions. Same as ArtFact, Proxibid, etc. The only thing AuctionZip sells is online auction capability to local auction houses. It makes no more sense to blame AuctionZip for someone selling forgeries than it does to blame eBay for selling you a fake autograph, or to blame Google for showing you where you can buy that fake autograph.

Identify and avoid the Local Auction Houses selling the fakes, not the software they use.

Otherwise, I expect to hear board members cursing HP for printing up all these fake autos and shaking their fists at Al Gore for creating that darned internet that sold the crap to them
Slight correction to the above: A part of Auction Zip is to allow online bids (through proxibid, I believe), but the main idea is to list available auctions on a certain day, MAINLY at a physical location, NOT online.

Blaming Auction Zip for the forgeries is like calling Fuddjcal a complete moron just because he doesn't understand the concept. OK, bad analogy.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Jim M.arinari

Default Spoke with Auction House

Told him the issues with the COAs being garbage, asked him to google Morales, CSC, Operation Bullpen, etc. He was willing to pull the items. He will call me tomorrow.

A couple of things:
  • FBI said it needs to reach a monetary threshold to investigate. It is probably why this stuff is being dumped on small locals. Said to call State Attorney General. Operation Bullpen was a task force requested by the SAG.
  • State Attorney General said I have to fill out a complaint (haven't done that yet)
  • Apparently this stuff is again originating in FL and getting shipped all over, with a lot of reports coming in from PA, also in small auctions
  • I threw Richard's name around as a reputable expert.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:23 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Told him the issues with the COAs being garbage, asked him to google Morales, CSC, Operation Bullpen, etc. He was willing to pull the items. He will call me tomorrow.

A couple of things:
  • FBI said it needs to reach a monetary threshold to investigate. It is probably why this stuff is being dumped on small locals. Said to call State Attorney General. Operation Bullpen was a task force requested by the SAG.
  • State Attorney General said I have to fill out a complaint (haven't done that yet)
  • Apparently this stuff is again originating in FL and getting shipped all over, with a lot of reports coming in from PA, also in small auctions
  • I threw Richard's name around as a reputable expert.
Thanks oh so much .
That is ok, I have helped bring down scum before and am in the midst of doing it again now.
Always willing to help.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 04-25-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:33 PM
Dan Bretta

Because of ebay's crackdown on forgeries or autos without JSA/PSA certs the next logical step was for these crooks to move to local auction houses to move their forgeries. I would not be surprised if this is a somewhat organized effort and this stuff is being moved all over the country by a few individuals.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Jim M.arinari

Default Disappointed, not surprised

Hasn't called me back, items are still listed. Several have pre-bids. Local TV investigative reporter says he is too busy with the tax refund fraud and will get back to me when he has the resources. Newspaper is interested, so maybe that is the way to go.

Does anyone have any ideas on getting a fire under this? Other than being a pain in the ass. I got that covered.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Richard Simon

Based on past experience if there is a local Dept Of Consumer Affairs in the area, I found them more than willing to jump into action.
If that does not work, try local law enforcement.
--
Old 04-29-2012, 05:52 PM
James Wymer

Auctionzip Live has tons of really good auctions. One of my favorites on the baseball side is Fusco's. This dealer had a decent auction without the autos. I know some auctioneers do not specialize in autos and sell them anyways. They only realize they are not real when the complaints roll in. An experienced auctioneer investigates all claims pottery, artwork, autos, etc.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 04-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wymers Auction View Post
Auctionzip Live has tons of really good auctions. One of my favorites on the baseball side is Fusco's. This dealer had a decent auction without the autos. I know some auctioneers do not specialize in autos and sell them anyways. They only realize they are not real when the complaints roll in. An experienced auctioneer investigates all claims pottery, artwork, autos, etc.
I live about 1, maybe 2 miles from Fusco's auction house. He is as quality guy as you can find. I got my start in this by going to his local auctions.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com
Old 05-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:

Blaming Auction Zip for the forgeries is like calling Fuddjcal a complete moron just because he doesn't understand the concept. OK, bad analogy.
supporting Auction Zip in anyway shape or form, when you KNOW they do absolutely nothing about forgeries on their site makes them complicit f'ng criminals. I don't care what else they do.

I would never frequent a site or buy 1 effen thing off it when they help to perpetuate crime & fraud. Offering forgery after forgery on their platform and doing nothing is criminal IMHO....So enjoy you're f'd up Auction zip... and everything they do. I don't need to know anything else they do.

Here's another anology for you: " come shop @ AuctionZIP where not one autograph is real...not ONE, ZIP", but you can use us for other things!!! No Thanks. There's a concept for you

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 05-11-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Brock

I don't think you understand what auctionzip is!! It helps you find auctions, yes they offer a live bidding part but AGAIN AUCTIONZIP is not the one selling the items. And if you actually look at the site and look for auctions, you'll see there's real autos and not all fake.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
I don't think you understand what auctionzip is!! It helps you find auctions, yes they offer a live bidding part but AGAIN AUCTIONZIP is not the one selling the items. And if you actually look at the site and look for auctions, you'll see there's real autos and not all fake.
I do hear what your saying, but when I look at autographs there that I once was interested in, they are ALL FAKE.

I don't understand why I would want to use their platform for autographs. I'm sorry I'm not understanding. I see forgeries everywhere and not one real one????? Why TF would I use this platform for anything??? Would I buy a Rolex from them. NO. Would I buy my wife a handbag there. NO, I would not buy a f'ing thing from anyone of their sellers or auctions or whatever they are called. Why TF should I try and filter through all their fakes??

I choose to NEVER use a site like that where criminals have more items than good sellers. Sorry, If you want to understand it more than me, go ahead and use them. I would not give that outfit 1 more second than I have already wasted on it. If I want something. I go down to the store and buy the f'ing thing. I DON'T NEED AUCTION ZIP OR PROXI BID OR ALWAYS FAKE AT AUCTION...NONE OF THEM FUDD NEEDS!!!!!
Old 05-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
I DON'T NEED AUCTION ZIP OR PROXI BID OR ALWAYS FAKE AT AUCTION...NONE OF THEM FUDD NEEDS!!!!!

I agree. Just stick with Craigslist or Charity Auctions. They're the only safe places I've found.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:51 PM
James Wymer

Deertick are you kidding me!!! Charity auctions are some of the worst percentage of fake autos!!!
Old 05-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Deertick are you kidding me!!! Charity auctions are some of the worst percentage of fake autos!!!
James, I believe Jim was being sarcastic.

I know we got LLP Auctions booted, but Proxibid has done nothing beyond that. I sent them four emails with auctions that I suggested they remove and they've done nothing.

So, in my opinion, they deserve all of the free advertising we can give them.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
I agree. Just stick with Craigslist or Charity Auctions. They're the only safe places I've found.
LOL ....and don't forget e-bay!!!!!
Old 05-13-2012, 01:20 PM
James Wymer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
James, I believe Jim was being sarcastic.

I know we got LLP Auctions booted, but Proxibid has done nothing beyond that. I sent them four emails with auctions that I suggested they remove and they've done nothing.

So, in my opinion, they deserve all of the free advertising we can give them.
I understand I just have to pick my fights a little. I still sell on Proxibid, but I do so honestly!!! I will probably pick another auction house in a couple weeks and fire them up. I am glad he was being sarcastic I would not ever buy an auto off of craigslist or a charity auction unless the athlete was there and signing them.

Last edited by Wymers Auction; 05-13-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
I understand I just have to pick my fights a little. I still sell on Proxibid, but I do so honestly!!! I will probably pick another auction house in a couple weeks and fire them up. I am glad he was being sarcastic I would not ever buy an auto off of craigslist or a charity auction unless the athlete was there and signing them.
I agree with you there, James.

The source of the majority of the forgeries (Mantle, Williams, DiMaggio, etc., with COAs from Burczyk, CSC Collectibles, Morales, Ted Taylor) circulating today, targets local auctions, charity auctions, etc. Disgusting.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:56 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
I agree with you there, James.

The source of the majority of the forgeries (Mantle, Williams, DiMaggio, etc., with COAs from Burczyk, CSC Collectibles, Morales, Ted Taylor) circulating today, targets local auctions, charity auctions, etc. Disgusting.
And like I have said before you can smell the sand and the orange juice.
And all of the autographs are as bad as the first day we saw them.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-13-2012 at 03:02 PM.