NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-12-2014, 10:22 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Default No gloss

I know on Venezuelan Mickey Mantle cards, to look for no gloss and some with Latino words on the back.
But, does anyone know of this 54 Dan-Dee with NO GLOSS as being a proof??
Things like this get me wanting to go back and look thru my collection over and over to see if i got a variation as such.
Just questioning if this exist or is it just the potato grease make it feel as if it had no gloss??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141188765422...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Updated pic for show:

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 02-13-2014 at 01:38 PM. Reason: just to show pic
Old 02-12-2014, 10:38 AM
David Pierson
Banned

I'm curious too, how in the world does PSA know that this is a "proof" card?
Old 02-12-2014, 11:49 AM

Talking

Hi ya Chris. Whilst I cannot with all certainty answer your question, I can provide a research project for you, and a bit of hobby history.

First, notice the Mantle in question does not have the many die-cut tabs that usually circumvent Dan-Dees. However, research this: several New York area ballplayers were put in the set. Do a search on eBay and the PSA and even SGC set registries for anyone submitting photos of their Dan-Dees. Remember to look for set as well as individual player registries. The point to decipher: are the die-cut tabs to be found on the New York Dan-Dees? I cannot positively say that I recall the tabs are also on the Yankees, Dodgers and Giants, as well as the one Cardinal, Red Schoendienst. Milprint may have decided to add them after their initial run of Cleveland and Pittsburgh players. The Indians and Pirates were die-cut; the others may have been cut by the printers in a different manner.

Second, as to the no gloss aspect of this card, remember, the paraffin coating on the Dan-Dees does not leave them very glossy; rather, an elegant semi-gloss. Furthermore, there were known to be several collectors during the 70s who did not appreciate the paraffin coating on the Dan-Dees. Therefore, they would CAREFULLY REMOVE as much of the coating as they could, usually with one of their wife's worn nylon stockings. One of those collectors was future Rare Sportsfilms founder, Doak Ewing, who pretty much introduced me to the Dan-Dees in about 1975. He always removed the paraffin coating. No big deal, as the coating was known to catch (a la flypaper) all sorts of dust, specks, and potato chip bits and grease. In many ways, a most legitimate manner of cleaning the card up.

Third, notice the potato chip stains on the card. A major clue, this. Makes for undeniable proof that the card originally resided in a bag with the Dan-Dee chips--whereby one day long ago it was plucked out as a youngster's free prize for buying those delicious Dan-Dee Potato Chips. Therefore, this vendor is totally incorrect in labeling it as a proof card.

Save your hard-earned money, or easy money, for something better. Take care, my fellow collecting warrior.

--Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 02-13-2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: basic edit for smoother articulation
Old 02-12-2014, 12:35 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I looked on Ebay, this is about the best one i seen with tabs I would say THIS ONE IS A PROOF.

Here is my (raw) card i got over a yr ago..i never went to have it graded, sits in a screw down holder for now.

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 02-12-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:25 PM

Default Dan Dee Mantle

Does anyone typically pay a premium for Dan Dee Proofs? What has been your collective experience?

I noticed the PA label does not designate it as such...so just curious.

Z Wheat
Old 02-12-2014, 02:19 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
Does anyone typically pay a premium for Dan Dee Proofs? What has been your collective experience?

I noticed the PA label does not designate it as such...so just curious.

Z Wheat
People will pay a premium for cards that are centered...the p/ups thread say it all the time, we will spend xtra for quality.
Only the real knowledagle folks pay for premiums, becasue well they know what they are or how scare or hard to find..like the Joe D that MattyC got or the 48 leaf Paige.

Then there the people that have money and throw it at anything that says so.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:25 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I'm certain Dan-Dee's came in large cans, not bags.

Last edited by Cardboard Junkie; 02-12-2014 at 02:32 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 02-13-2014, 12:02 PM

David, you may be correct, though Dan-Dee sold their chips and pretzels in bags and large tins.

Wish I knew this--were sales of the larger, more expensive tins slowing, and so the company launched the baseball card promotion to goose up sales of the tins? It would make much more sense, from a business standpoint, to offer a nice (today we find them much, much more than "nice", of course) free prize inside the tins exclusively. They were swell chips anyway; bags sell themselves, but then as now, the larger offering, done in a much more expensive tin with a commiserate higher price point, might just need a boost, to goose sales.

I regret not having expressed this thought in the Dan-Dee chapter of my book. Mouth-watering.

--Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 02-13-2014 at 12:22 PM. Reason: wanted to express the point more succinctly
Old 02-13-2014, 12:17 PM

Chris, your posting of the PSA 8 Dan-Dee Mantle is much appreciated for the discussion. Obviously, the card has the multitude of die-cut tabs. Answers at least the question of whether the New York players had tabs around the card.

I guess I am curious and will follow my own research thought concerning whether other players can be found without the tabs. I am pretty certain I have seen some without tabs, though it is a moot point, really. It's possible Milprint cut them both ways, and the value of either is the same.

However, I am most curious as to why you refer to the PSA 8 as a PROOF? From what characteristics of the card are you basing your assessment? Please, I am not being critical; just want to know where you're coming from. Thanks.

--Brian Powell
Old 02-13-2014, 12:27 PM
David Pierson
Banned

It's interesting to think about. I do know that the large tin cans were loaded with grease and hands would be slimy with it after eating, no wonder most of the cards are stained. Seems like those large tins were phased out in the mid to late fifties. We didn't have DanDees in Detroit area, but we had Lays and Bettermade that came in tins. On a trip to Pittsbrg in about 54/55 (I was just a little tyke) my older brother (by 10 yrs) got DanDees out of those tins. He seems to remember that there was more than one card in the can. Can't be sure though. Those cans are available on ebay, would be nice as an ancillary item for a DanDee collector (if one collects such things). BTW please mention the title of your book? Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mJMa192GngVJcLpg7vM4ORQ.jpg (7.8 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg mE0019mUU5fiElbHkub1v-A.jpg (10.9 KB, 73 views)
Old 02-13-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Third, notice the potato chip stains on the card. A major clue, this. Makes for undeniable proof that the card originally resided in a bag with the Dan-Dee chips--whereby one day long ago it was plucked out as a youngster's free prize for buying those delicious Dan-Dee Potato Chips. Therefore, this vendor is totally incorrect in labeling it as a proof card.
Very good observation on the stains. PSA also labeled this as a "proof" on the flip. I like how the seller makes the distinction that although 3 total "proofs" have been graded, this is the only PSA 2, therefore a "1 of 1". How convenient.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:36 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Chris, your posting of the PSA 8 Dan-Dee Mantle is much appreciated for the discussion. Obviously, the card has the multitude of die-cut tabs. Answers at least the question of whether the New York players had tabs around the card.

I guess I am curious and will follow my own research thought concerning whether other players can be found without the tabs. I am pretty certain I have seen some without tabs, though it is a moot point, really. It's possible Milprint cut them both ways, and the value of either is the same.

However, I am most curious as to why you refer to the PSA 8 as a PROOF? From what characteristics of the card are you basing your assessment? Please, I am not being critical; just want to know where you're coming from. Thanks.

--Brian Powell
The original link, shows a PSA slab saying no gloss- PROOF (in which i added the photo for show)
Tho, we can be certain, based on your facts...that is is not such.
However. pointing out the tabs and no grease on that other enlarged psa 8 might be a Proof...i dont know myself..unless theres a stamp saying so. its anyones guess, leave it up to PSA to make that decission.

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 02-13-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
It's interesting to think about. I do know that the large tin cans were loaded with grease and hands would be slimy with it after eating, no wonder most of the cards are stained. Seems like those large tins were phased out in the mid to late fifties. We didn't have DanDees in Detroit area, but we had Lays and Bettermade that came in tins. On a trip to Pittsbrg in about 54/55 (I was just a little tyke) my older brother (by 10 yrs) got DanDees out of those tins. He seems to remember that there was more than one card in the can. Can't be sure though. Those cans are available on ebay, would be nice as an ancillary item for a DanDee collector (if one collects such things). BTW please mention the title of your book? Dave.
Dear David,

Howdy. I sincerely apologize for not returning you an answer promptly yesterday afternoon. I noticed your kind response and question about the title of my book. Unfortunately, it was about time for me to get off the computer, have a quick bite, smother my wife with a few smooches, and blast off to work. Late last evening I was too exhausted to return to the computer.

Regardless, the title of my book is NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN, with a tag line: Those Special Free Prize Sports Collectibles from the Golden Era of 1947 - 1971. The title of course is derived from the food-buying phrase, with the "never" pointing to the historical fact these kind of cards have often enjoyed more than robust sales amidst some very fierce competition for them, not to mention the significant honor accorded a collector by other collectors for owning some of them. Further, seldom has that oft-heard phrase, "the thrill of the hunt", fit a niche of card collecting more perfectly than this one. You could hit the Bay every day for a year, and come up short most of the time, with regard to "Trophy pieces".

Currently, the book has been submitted to a publisher for consideration. I am praying they will sense the merits of it, and be convinced the hobby community would welcome it enough to buy a few thousand copies. One thing our hobby never seemed to grasp---the need for good card collecting books beyond the shallow surface of "what does the price guide say it's worth?" To be sure, I discuss some prices and a few value assessments, but the heart of the book unlocks a treasure trove of wonderful stories. Stories of collectors past and present, of amazing finds virtually unknown now to today's card collecting community, and since I began collecting in 1961, my personal first hand experiences of collecting some of these cards when they were originally issued. Other hobbyists past and present, living and some now deceased, allowed me to interview them. Much is included along the lines of "Interpretive Collecting 501". There's much variety in NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN. I endeavored to approach my subjects from various angles to avoid boredom and redundancy. I covered the entire set sometimes. Other chapters concentrate on but one card in the set, a pair of players, or even an item related to the set. I'm making good use of my journalism minor from Ball State University!

Anyway, Sports Collectors Digest editor, Tom Bartsch, has been so helpful to me as my own editor. It took me five years to completely write and edit the book, while researching along the way during my 50+ years involved in baseball card collecting. As a collector myself, I wrote it for other collectors, retired collectors, and especially for those who cannot afford the cards and items, but would still get a charge out of reading about them just the same. My lawyers assure me that I do not absolutely have to have a publisher, but at this point I am still trying.

Incidentally Dave, good minds think alike. My photo accompanying the Dan-Dee chapter indeed features one of the huge yellow tins! Ask your brother to relax, think back hard to the days when he opened one of those tins, and then see if a memory comes back as to whether there were one or two free prize cards awaiting him. I could think of half a dozen other questions easily (i.e. Did the Pittsburgh/Pennsylvania region exclusively offer Pirates and the New York players? Did he remember seeing any Dan-Dee TV commercials touting their baseball card promotion) I know; that was a long time ago, the year I was born. Underscores why books such as these needed to be researched and written long ago. But they just never were. Be that as it may, I was able to uncover quite a hearty amount of interesting information and juicy stories. Worth a lot to know, as the saying goes, "INFORMATION IS KING."

Yesterday is now again. Gotta Go!--Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 02-20-2014 at 01:39 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:55 PM
Tho.mas Car.ter

something I noticed with a dandee that I just picked up, is that it has bits of dust and grease stains but still is an SGC 84. Seems the graders look past this aspect of these cards.