NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 01-31-2015, 11:46 PM
Ben Morton

Default the hobby can still be fun.

As a collector who started in 1986, some of the top cards were the 85 McGwire, 84 donruss Mattingly, 82 Ripken, etc. but easily the coolest card of my youth was the 89 Upper Deck Griffey. I bought packs as a kid, and occasionally since, and bought plenty of other stuff as singles, but never got the Griffey for whatever reason.

So the other day I broke down and bought an unopened box. And I decided to open a pack day. On day nine, I finally got my white whale. In the grand scheme, pretty meaningless, but for me that was a moment 25 years in the making.

This hobby can still be fun.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:42 AM
J Ryan
Banned

Im 24 and remember buying cards in 1998/1999 i know im a youngster on this site lmao

but, ive been going back and picking up cool 90s inserts i remember seeing in beckett back when i was a kid. most of the 90s cards and rookies you can get for pennies compared to what they were.

random weird or cool inserts like this

or rookies of guys i liked

Old 02-01-2015, 12:43 AM
Dave

Congratulations
Old 02-01-2015, 01:47 PM

Great pull, Ben! That Griffey Jr card is iconic.

It seems like the cards we used to collect as kids often times strike the biggest emotional chord. I bought 5 unopened '77 Topps packs awhile ago on a CU forums box break, and opening those old wax packs really takes you back (I only had the heart to open 2 of them, saving 3 intact).

If the hobby ain't fun, what's the use?

Last edited by CW; 02-01-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:03 PM
Curt

Unless you are doing it as a business, then it should be fun.

Sometimes coming to sites like this can be intimidating for newer or lower budget collectors, as people are showing off or talking about these great items they own or bought. This site is more focused on the vintage cards, so I assume most members are older and have collected since the early 70s or before or are those with a decent amount of disposable income. Hopefully everyone gets something from the site, such as knowledge, connections or something else useful.

Everyone just needs to buy/trade for what they like and can afford and not worry about how you stack up to everyone else. That is what the PSA site is apparently for!
Old 02-02-2015, 10:37 AM
Jason Stricker

I did the same thing with 89 Fleer a couple of years back and finally got my Ripken FF.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:19 PM

I was 12 years old when '89 Upper Deck came out. I remember them being .99¢ (a small fortune) a pack at the local gas station and the other brands were .50¢. My friends and I would go in there with a few bucks and either get 4 packs of Topps hoping for a Gregg Jefferies or splurge and get 2 packs of UD praying for a Griffey Jr. I never could get one. My Dad was filling up his truck one day and I begged him for a dollar to go in and buy a pack. He gave in and gave my kid sister a dollar to for whatever she wanted. I go in and buy a pack and for some reason she did to...and pulls a Griffey. I was SO pissed. Lol. I think it was the only pack she ever bought. I begged and begged her for about a month for that card and she finally gave in. I'm sure she made me do her chores or something for a week but it was worth it. I always think of her when I see that card.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:29 AM
Aa.ron Pa.tton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1977 View Post
I was 12 years old when '89 Upper Deck came out. I remember them being .99¢ (a small fortune) a pack at the local gas station and the other brands were .50¢. My friends and I would go in there with a few bucks and either get 4 packs of Topps hoping for a Gregg Jefferies or splurge and get 2 packs of UD praying for a Griffey Jr. I never could get one. My Dad was filling up his truck one day and I begged him for a dollar to go in and buy a pack. He gave in and gave my kid sister a dollar to for whatever she wanted. I go in and buy a pack and for some reason she did to...and pulls a Griffey. I was SO pissed. Lol. I think it was the only pack she ever bought. I begged and begged her for about a month for that card and she finally gave in. I'm sure she made me do her chores or something for a week but it was worth it. I always think of her when I see that card.

Love this story, Eric. Needed the laugh at work. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:48 AM
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1977 View Post
+1 That is a good story.

I want to pull the trigger on some junk wax, just can't bring myself to do it yet, too much of a cheapskate.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:42 PM

I recently bought a case of 89 UD low numbers from Steve at BBCE. I opened 6 boxes so far. Believe it or not, I got a Griffey Jr in the very first pack from the first box! The last box I opened yesterday had (5) in it!

Old 02-20-2015, 01:14 PM
Jay Shelton

At one time, I had complete baseball sets from 1976 - 1990, with the bulk of them Topps (1976 - 1983, 1986 - 1987), then Donruss (1981 - 1984), then Fleer (1981), Score (1988), and Bowman (1989 - 90). Over the years, I sold all the sets I had except for 1970s Topps and 1981 Fleer, 1982 Donruss, and I tried to re-introduce myself into the hobby in 2001 after sitting out for 11 years, and my, how things had changed, with memorabilia cards, autographed cards, parallels, refractor, etc., etc.

I've tried at different times to buy new cards, such as Topps Allen & Ginter, new Topps regular series, special brands, etc., and other than 2014 Donruss, nothing really has appealed to me in the long run to continue collecting modern cards at all...until recently....

I started to collect modern Japanese baseball cards in addition to starting work on my "vintage" 1978 Yamakatsu set, and I am HOOKED, as I'm buying packs off eBay and through Rob Fitts, etc., and now modern day card collecting is actually fun again. Especially since collecting of Japanese baseball cards is a relatively new hobby (BBM did not start producing cards until 1991), especially here in the states, and it is ironic that the interest of collectors here in the U.S. has driven the sports card market in Japan, which was hit-or-miss in the 1960s - 70s - 80s with Yamakatsu, Calbee (still produces cards inserted into bags of potato chips), and others.

Because of this, I am now following Japanese baseball, and I have a favorite team and learning all I can about Nipon Baseball and the Central and Pacific leagues (think National and American leagues, respectively).
Old 02-20-2015, 05:39 PM
J Ryan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworld View Post
At one time, I had complete baseball sets from 1976 - 1990, with the bulk of them Topps (1976 - 1983, 1986 - 1987), then Donruss (1981 - 1984), then Fleer (1981), Score (1988), and Bowman (1989 - 90). Over the years, I sold all the sets I had except for 1970s Topps and 1981 Fleer, 1982 Donruss, and I tried to re-introduce myself into the hobby in 2001 after sitting out for 11 years, and my, how things had changed, with memorabilia cards, autographed cards, parallels, refractor, etc., etc.

I've tried at different times to buy new cards, such as Topps Allen & Ginter, new Topps regular series, special brands, etc., and other than 2014 Donruss, nothing really has appealed to me in the long run to continue collecting modern cards at all...until recently....

I started to collect modern Japanese baseball cards in addition to starting work on my "vintage" 1978 Yamakatsu set, and I am HOOKED, as I'm buying packs off eBay and through Rob Fitts, etc., and now modern day card collecting is actually fun again. Especially since collecting of Japanese baseball cards is a relatively new hobby (BBM did not start producing cards until 1991), especially here in the states, and it is ironic that the interest of collectors here in the U.S. has driven the sports card market in Japan, which was hit-or-miss in the 1960s - 70s - 80s with Yamakatsu, Calbee (still produces cards inserted into bags of potato chips), and others.

Because of this, I am now following Japanese baseball, and I have a favorite team and learning all I can about Nipon Baseball and the Central and Pacific leagues (think National and American leagues, respectively).
My brother is a Marine in Okinawa, Ive asked him if when he was out and about to find some Japanese baseball cards. He hasn't found any yet that i know of...I know where he's based the Japan vs us Allstars game was held like a mile away

Last edited by TAVG; 02-21-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
Unless you are doing it as a business, then it should be fun.

Sometimes coming to sites like this can be intimidating for newer or lower budget collectors, as people are showing off or talking about these great items they own or bought. This site is more focused on the vintage cards, so I assume most members are older and have collected since the early 70s or before or are those with a decent amount of disposable income. Hopefully everyone gets something from the site, such as knowledge, connections or something else useful.

Everyone just needs to buy/trade for what they like and can afford and not worry about how you stack up to everyone else. That is what the PSA site is apparently for!
+1 Great post.
I spent several hours with one of our younger members yesterday. He is 21-22 and I am 53. The hobby should be fun. A lot of the fun is the chase and hanging out with friends. Yes, some of us older guys have a bit more discretionary income and some (not me) started collecting in the 60s-70s. Just make of it what you want and be happy. Collecting can still be fun.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:34 PM
Jay Shelton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAVG View Post
My brother is a Marine in Okinawa, Ive asked him if when he was out and about to find some Japanese baseball cards. He hasn't found any yet that i know of...I know where he's based the Japan vs us Allstars game was held like a mile away
Since your brother is in the military, he should be able to send you any cards he finds at the U.S. postal APO rate to the states, which is very good for you. Try this site for much more information on Japanese baseball cards, including where to buy in Japan (there are plenty of card shops in Japan that have popped up in the last 5-10 years):
http://japanesebaseballcards.blogspot.com
Old 02-26-2015, 12:58 PM
Michael Osacky

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206blogcom View Post
I did the same thing with 89 Fleer a couple of years back and finally got my Ripken FF.
That Ripken FF Card was selling for near $100 shortly after it was released! I remember dealers flipping them and making a fortune.