NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-10-2011, 09:45 PM

Default Babe Ruth Fro Joy...is it real..scans added at #7 post!..BGS 5.0 just popped!!

Got a couple pics. with my cell phone at a local flea market so the pics aren't the greatest. I know there are a lot of fakes of this card so I wondered if you folks had an opinion on this one....if one can be made with the not-so-good pics?! I know there is some kind of issue where the corners meeting for the lines around the text on the reverse have a gap on the fakes...there isn't a gap that I could see on this one.

Thanks-
Claude

Last edited by 1966CUDA; 09-13-2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: finally got graded...BGS 5.0.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:35 AM

Default Babe ruth fro joy

Anyone have an idea? ......vendor said they would hold card for me til this afternoon while I researched it online. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks-
Claude
Old 04-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Alan Elefson

I would doubt it, but am not an expert. However, I frequent antique shops and flea markets often, and Fro Joy Ruths are the most common "vintage" baseball item folks have for sale. Unless you know that it was found buried in a pile of 1920s and 1930s paper items, assume reprint when it comes to these.
Alan
Old 04-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default some of the most difficult to tell

These and the Babe Ruth Candy cards are, to me, the most difficult to tell if they are real of any card in the pre-war space. There is absolutely no way for me to have a good guess without holding it. The TPG's look at the paper type (and other characteristics) when determining authenticity. It is not a real bad fake if it is one...but just too hard to tell from a scan. regards
Old 04-11-2011, 09:14 AM

Claude,

The best way to determine authenticity might be with a blacklight. In the avatar thread, a poster demonstrated what it should and shouldn't look like under a black light. I posted the one I have for you to compare to....

Mike
Old 04-11-2011, 09:34 AM

Default Fro Joy

I have a Ruth Fro Joy and stopped collecting the set for this very reason. From my experience, this is probably the most difficult set/cards for me to determine whether they are authenticate or reprints.

Good luck.

M Wheat
Old 04-11-2011, 08:52 PM

Default babe ruth fro joy

Got some better scans....what are opinions now?

Thanks-
Claude

Old 04-11-2011, 09:12 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

I've been heavily researching these for several months now.......

Like you said, the text box on the reverse is one indicator, but there is another much less obvious characteristic that should be present on the reverse.....

If you'll post a better picture or scan, we'll have a better guess....Can't tell much at all from the posted image.

A lot of people got ripped off in the 70s and 80s with singles cut from counterfeit sheets, so some ideas are likely conspiracy theories. The fact that PSA holdered blue ones from the 70s and fake black and white sheet singles from the 70s didn't help the theories. They were only produced for a week, but we are talking about Babe Ruth in 1928, a year after his awesome '27 season. He was huge! It's reasonable to assume this made their survival rate more likely.

The factory singles could be returned for a premium and an uncut sheet. There are not many of either. It's not likely someone sent their set of singles in for a sheet and subsequently cut the sheet into singles, so any single with uncut sheet characteristics is fake.

These are authentic:

The two lying horizontal are c.1970s fakes:

[IMG][/IMG]

Repli-cards fluoresce purple with a black light.

Ice cream is a dull color under a black light. I have a '28 Fro Joy Tunney with very similar stains, last image. Imagine having a cone with dripping ice cream and scraping the side of the cone with the card that came in the pack.

A repli-card with manufactured aging sold for more than 100.00 recently, and the seller stated it was a reprint in the listing! The buyer could have bought a full set of repli-cards for less than ten dollars!

Last edited by Clutch-Hitter; 04-26-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: pictures
Old 04-11-2011, 09:48 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Didn't see the new images until after I submitted my post. It was a little over-exposed, so I tried to fix it, pictured below.

Nice card Mike! That stain is very cool.

Claude, IMO the card looks good, but like Leon said, it's very tough unless in person. I can't see the characteristic on the reverse, maybe a little, and granted it shouldn't be quite as obvious on that card as it is on the portrait and look out mr pitcher cards, for example.

I do not like how well it is centered.

Get a black light, probably around 10.00, and look at it. If you can, post a picture with it under the light.

Last edited by Clutch-Hitter; 04-26-2011 at 08:14 PM. Reason: broken image
Old 04-11-2011, 10:04 PM

Default Babe Ruth Fro joy

I will try and get a black light this week and then post updated pics. Thanks for all the help.

-claude
Old 04-16-2011, 07:01 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Here's some of those 70's counterfeit. I tried to inform the seller but he or she has blocked incoming messages due to high volume. Based on his or her other items, there is little volume.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1928-BABE-RUTH-B...item588d765f41

Last edited by Clutch-Hitter; 04-16-2011 at 07:04 PM. Reason: added info
Old 04-17-2011, 06:13 AM
Paul

Black lights are helpful, but the best way is to inspect the printing. Get a microscope, learn about photoengraving during that time period, & then you can be sure. Also, when possible compare it to a Tunney Fro Joy under a scope. Sure, cards were photoengraved after the 20's, but they still have to duplicate the ink & paper. Look at a card from the 60's that's photoengraved under a scope. The ink is usually much neater than cards from the 20's since they are not using the same ink & certainly not the same paper. Yes I've heard talk of the original printing plates being used to reprint these, but I doubt it. Even if that was true, you could still authenticate them using a scope, & comparing to a Tunney, or a known original ruth.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:05 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Paul, thanks for the information. My Crack Fielder Ruth was once inside a Beckett holder.

This is My 1927 Fro Joy Tunney, 1928 Fro Joy Crack Fielder, along with Look Out Mr Pitcher, lying corner to corner:

Last edited by Clutch-Hitter; 04-26-2011 at 08:15 PM. Reason: broken image
Old 04-17-2011, 05:08 PM

I was set up at the Oaks booth 227 and you could have brought it over, I would have told you in 2 seconds if it were real or not. Based on your scan, it looks good to me. Dan Mckee.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:43 PM

Default 1928 Frojoy

Finally got around to sending it in!!! I am happy!

6885477 1928 Ruth Fro Joy Babe Ruth-Bang The Babe Lines one out 5.0