NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Steven

Default What is the best bb card literature?

I searched some past threads, but Im moere interested in what everyone elses opinion is on some literature that really walks through the early days of cards. Ive seen a few different "team set" cards dating before 1870 and am really interested in that time period into and thru the tobacco and caramel cards. Thanks for any input and if anyone has decent (vg-ex/ex) 55t mays they are willing to sell to complete my 53-56t run, lmk.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:07 AM
Craig Wright

Default The Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards

The Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards by Lew Lipset. You can pick up the combined three-volume soft-bound on ebay and elsewhere.

Best Regards,
Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg encyclopedia.jpg (31.3 KB, 548 views)
Old 09-04-2011, 07:41 AM
J.O.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Borders View Post
The Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards by Lew Lipset. You can pick up the combined three-volume soft-bound on ebay and elsewhere.

Best Regards,
Craig

I agree with Craig. That's my favorite.

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Frank Wakefield

1- Mr. Lipset's Encyclopedias.
2- A current, or near current Standard Catalog
3- IF you collect or are interested in T206's, Scot Reader's Inside T206.
4- IF you collect or are interested in Old Judge cards, get The Photographic Baseball Cards of Goodwin & Company 1886-1890
5- A 4th edition of Mr. Sugar's Bible, 3rd is ok if you can't find a 4th.
6- Egan's list
7- IF you chase ZeeNut cards, Horne's Zeenut list.

I'm in total agreement to what they said above about the Encyclopedia. Parts are a bit dated, there are some typos. But there's lots of great information. It is the starting point.

A link to Mr. Reader's excellent work... http://www.oldcardboard.com/t/t206/I...al-edition.pdf

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 09-06-2011 at 05:44 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Steven

Default Thanks

Thanks for the help everyone. I think Ill start with the encyclopedia and see where that leads. Ive seen theat OJ book and it what amazing.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default American Card Catalog

Not to sensationalize the other thread but if you want to learn about the hobby you might consider the 1960 or 1967 American Card Collectors Catalog. The 1967 reprints are easily found on ebay, or other places, and really is a must, imo.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:47 AM

This one is almost forgotten about and I feel its one of the best out there.

Classic baseball cards: The golden years, 1886-1956

This is pretty cut and dry-- not much as far as literature
but it does contain a photo of every card from nearly every major set from 1886-1956 (contains both Bowman and the early years of Topps as well as all the major tobacoo/gum cards of the early 20th century and late 19th century)

There is also a similar book out on just Topps cards and cards from the 1950's. Long out of print but worth I think. I got this when it first came out (it was around $75 when it was issued)
I remember seeing them cut out and sold off for $15 in the late 1980's/early 90's I wish I had picked up a couple. Not so much for going up in value just to give away.

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-baseba...=2P01BK8IU6WJA
Old 09-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Barry Arnold

Default literature

great help here.

i'd underscore the slocum,the ACC, and Lipset, simply because i take a look at each most days of the week.
all the best,
barry
Old 09-05-2011, 03:37 AM
marty

What, no mention of; "The Card" ?
Old 09-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Steven

Encyclopedia is ordered.

What is "the card"? Also, Ive heard about the best 200 cards in the industry or somehting to that effect...I know the author is a board member on here as well. I have a copy of the 1967 ACC, but I dont get that much from it.

I have a zeenut book as well by jim horne, but as cool as they are i think im going to stay away from the zeenuts...so i actually have one to sell if any interest?
Old 09-05-2011, 10:22 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
What is "the card"?
The Card: Collectors, Con Men, and the True Story of History's Most Desired Baseball Card by Michael O'keeffe and Teri Thompson.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:42 AM
Frank Wakefield

I agree with the ACC and would add it as #8 on the list. When you first get one you'd think that it's quaint, but why do you need it... and you don't. But eventually you'll want to look at the little cards from a grander perspective. The ACC gets you there.

I have the Slocum book. It's ok. I haven't looked inside the covers in maybe 4 years.

I read The Card. Glad I read it. The author got a few of his facts wrong, and some of his inferences and beliefs are wrong. While entertaining, it would be misleading for someone who doesn't know a right smart about old cards. If someone new to old cards reads that book they should consider it fiction.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:24 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default "The Great American Baseball Card Flipping, Trading and Bubble Gum Card Book"

DITTO....to many of the books already recommended here ( ACC, Lipset's Encyclopedia, Scot Reader's "Inside T206" )....and, I will add this book
to the list for it's entertaining value. Especially, the chapter titled "This Kid Is Going to Make It", which focuses on Sy Berger (head of the Topps
Chewing Gum, Inc.).

If you love Baseball of the 1950's - 1960's and BB cards of that era, you will find this book very, very interesting.

TED Z
Old 09-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Mike Dugan

A very nice reference piece for those interested in the history of cards and for those that often run upon odd issues would be an old issue of the London Cigarette Card Company's annual Tobacco Catalogue and its' companion the Trade Card Catalogue.

These list every worldwide issue from the 1800's on through whatever issue you can pick up. Very brief despcription listing issuer, size of card and number in set. No listings of individual cards in each set though. Few photos.

I don't know if they still offer printed catalogues or not but they do have an active website that I can't seem to search very well. Their chief competitor in the UK is the Murray Card Co. but I never found their catalogues quite as informative.

Also Beckett offered a non-sports big book a number of years ago that I have refered to a thousand times over the years including last week for some boxers and indian cards I ran across.

All of these should be very cheap when found and nice to have on the shelf.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Ben H*ds@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
Encyclopedia is ordered.

What is "the card"? Also, Ive heard about the best 200 cards in the industry or somehting to that effect...I know the author is a board member on here as well. I have a copy of the 1967 ACC, but I dont get that much from it.

I have a zeenut book as well by jim horne, but as cool as they are i think im going to stay away from the zeenuts...so i actually have one to sell if any interest?

IMO, The Card is a really good read even for a person who is not in the hobby.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Lots of great info here,

The Card was a great vacation read, learned quite a bit about the history of the one card.

I am enjoying Mint Condition: How Baseball Cards Became an American Obsession.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:44 AM
Tony Quinn

Just a heads up, I have the Topps and OJ books for sale in the B/S/T memorabilia section if anyone is interested. Thanks!

Last edited by quinnsryche; 09-15-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:36 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
Their chief competitor in the UK is the Murray Card Co. but I never found their catalogues quite as informative.
Murray's is shutting down in two weeks:

http://www.murraycards.com/index.aspx
Old 09-15-2011, 09:10 AM
Keith O'Leary

I have 2 new copies of "The Card" for sale if anyone is interested.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Jason Stricker

I'm currently reading Baseball Americana: Treasures from the Library of Congress by Harry Katz. I found this at my local Borders for 60% off. So far, so good.

The Card was a good beach weekend read. Mint Condition is next on my list after finishing the Library of Congress book.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206blogcom View Post
I'm currently reading Baseball Americana: Treasures from the Library of Congress by Harry Katz. I found this at my local Borders for 60% off. So far, so good.

This is the one they are currently giving away with a PSA club membership - I got it when I bought the (roughly) $100 membership at the National.

Cheers,
Blair