NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-26-2006, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Default GAI vs PSA round 1.....

Posted By: Mark Turner

is it true that if you send a GAI graded card to get crossed over to PSA they tend to deem it trimmed or lower the grade. I know that the owners of GAI are from PSA but why would there be conflick between them, thanks

Old 08-26-2006, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

why would there be a conflict between psa and gai? for starters, how about the owners of gai learned the trade at psa, left to start a competing business and that competing business would like to take away all of psa's customers.

as to your first question, I have heard that psa tends to adhere to their grading standards very strictly when crossing both sgc and gai cards. I personally have no experience crossing cards into psa slabs.

I can say from personal experience that sgc will give cards slabbed by competitors a fair review as I have had several cards that were sent in psa slabs that were bumped up half a grade. Of course, Ive also had several that have been downgraded or, if I was unwilling to accept a lower grade, that failed to crossover.

Old 08-26-2006, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

These days I haven't been sending PSA a lot of stuff as most of what I'm collecting in graded form has been going to SGC.

However, my past experience has not been favorable with crossing Global cards to either PSA or SGC, whether I send it in or out of the slab. Most cross a half or full grade lower, and I've had a half dozen or so rejected for trimming. I guess Global has slightly different standards than PSA or SGC on a lot of the cards I like to collect.

Recently, I had one higher-dollar card that crossed from a Global holder just fine, though.

-Al

Old 08-26-2006, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

My personal experience crossing GAI to SGC or PSA:

Crossing in the slab (slab review) - about 60%
Cracking out of the GAI holder and submit - about 90%

I would think that the numbers would be about the same in the other direction as well.

Old 08-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

My experiences have been close to Richard's. I think you are better off cracking cards out and submitting them to rival companies than attempting a cross-over, although with more expensive cards, I can see why you would want to keep them slabbed until you were sure they would cross.

Old 08-26-2006, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John J. Grillo

I agree that SGC is very fair and objective when one tries to cross cards over in PSA or GAI holders. I do think their is just a little bias between PSA and GAI and vice-versa.

Old 08-26-2006, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Ecklund

I may just be lucky so far, but every GAI card I've ever tried to cross to SGC has crossed over at the same grade or in one or two cases a little higher. There have probably been 30-40 of them and all but one was crossed in the holder.

With PSA to SGC it depends on the set - every e90-1 I've crossed has gone at the same grade, but I have also avoided a few PSA 3's with paper loss on the front. Other sets like M101-4/5 and Tattoo Orbits have crossed most of the time, with an exception or two from each set.

The one set I have found PSA very nearly incompetent on are the 1940 Play Balls - an 8 in that set has always crossed for me, but their 6's and 7's are so all over the place that I have had better success with raw Play Balls. I have almost completely stopped buying 1940 PB 6's and 7's unless I can get a high resolution scan of both sides. I sold Jay (and described to him correctly) a PSA 6 Vosmik that had one corner practically rounded - it wasn't a 6 by any reasonable standard.