NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-24-2018, 10:09 AM
Rob

Default My Hunt Experience...so far (a pennant story)

This isn't a condemnation of Hunt Auctions and I haven't drawn any permanent conclusions at this point, but since they see fit to have me wait through the weekend for any kind of response (nearly a full week since I first contacted them), I figured I'd kill some down time documenting my experience here and seeing what others thought.

I recently won a pennant in one of their internet auctions. The sell price was well north of $1000, not including the buyer's premium. It was a rare pennant I had not seen for sale before so I was happy to win it.

On Tuesday, the pennant arrived and I was disappointed to discover the tip of the pennant was being held on by tape hidden on the back of the pennant. This was not disclosed in the description which simply read:

Mild discoloration and some pilling to the surface throughout with most notable area of wear effecting the tip

Only a picture of the front of the pennant was included in the listing.

From that picture, I could see wear near the tip. It didn't appear sharp but it looked intact. Even under zoom, there was no tape visible from the front.

For me this is a deal breaker. I convinced myself I could live with a tip that was worn...but not one that was secured by tape. I would've bowed out of bidding much, much earlier had that been disclosed.

Within minutes of opening the package, I call Hunt Auctions to express my concern. A young lady (I'll call her H) answers the call, takes down my concerns and tells me "Dave" isn't in the office right now, but she will speak with him and someone will be in touch with me tomorrow. It was late in the day, so I was fine with that.

Tomorrow (Wednesday) comes and is almost gone with no call. So around ten of 5:00 pm EST, I call back to see if there was an update. I speak to H again who informs me that Dave isn't in today but will be in the office on Thursday. He is aware of the issue and will call me tomorrow. I say fine again.

Tomorrow (Thursday) comes and goes with no call.

Friday, around noon, fearing the week will end with no response, I call a third time. H informs me...SURPRISE! Dave isn't in the office today but will be in on Monday and will call me then. I reply that I've already been told this two times and no call ever came. I also pointed out that she told me he was supposed to be in the office yesterday and call me then to which she replied "He wasn't in the office yesterday". When I pointed out that on Wednesday she told me he would be, she changed her story and said he was in on Thursday, but only for a little while. At this point I'm really feeling like this is a low priority issue for "Dave" and he's ordered his minions to run me off.

So here we sit on Saturday...No response from Hunt despite two empty promises of a call back. We're on the third one now. We'll see if the call comes on Monday.

In the mean time...I'm wondering:

1) How would you handle this if you were in this situation?

2) Anyone have a similar situation with Hunt and how did it work out?

Thanks for reading.

Rob
Old 02-24-2018, 10:37 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

I really don't understand how Auction sellers, eBay sellers, internet sellers, etc. think it is OK to hide condition issues. Do they think that Buyers will be OK with omissions that directly relate to a buyers perceived value?

I am an eBay seller since the late 1990's. I go out of my way to include many pictures and a detailed description. I have never had a complaint.

Good luck and hopefully Hunt will do the right thing.

Jeff
Old 02-24-2018, 11:14 AM
©hri$ $€X₮ŘΝ

I had a near identical experience with them a few years ago. They offered to send the item to the restoration service they use at my expense. I have never had a worse experience with any auction house and haven't bid with them since.

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 02-24-2018, 11:18 AM
Steven

Id be pretty irritated Rob and its more troubling after Chris's post. At some point Id try to return it, but that's at their discretion and it sound like they don't care. They should treat customer better and jus be honest...another AH I probably wont deal with again.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:52 AM
pete ullman

I had no idea the condition issues pennant collectors toil over!!! All jokes aside this sounds like terrible customer service. After the situation is rectified I would think twice about ever using them again!
Old 02-24-2018, 01:14 PM
Fred

I would have to believe that every AH has an issue here and there. I've had positive experiences with Hunt Auctions. Sorry to read your experience was not good. Hopefully everything works out.

Adding - I would handle it by being a little patient. I can see your point. If a company tells you they will contact you on a specified date, then I would expect that contact. However, what if the person is ill or out of town on vacation? The office may not disclose this information. I'd continue to call them but I probably wouldn't have brought it into this board as a post until after at least a week or more. In the end, I'm going to guess that this will probably be resolved to your satisfaction.

Last edited by Fred; 02-24-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This was posted in the wrong thread a little while ago. It was supposed to be put in this thread.

Everyone makes mistakes. It's how they are handled that separates the cream from the chaff. I think they do the right thing when Dave is able to be gotten a hold of.

chaff
CHaf/Submit
noun
the husks of corn or other seed separated by winnowing or threshing.
synonyms: husks, hulls, pods, shells, bran, shucks
"separating the chaff from the grain"
chopped hay and straw used as fodder.
worthless things; trash.

Last edited by Leon; 02-24-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:43 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

That’s horrible.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 08-01-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:31 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I would have to believe that every AH has an issue here and there. I've had positive experiences with Hunt Auctions. Sorry to read your experience was not good. Hopefully everything works out.

Adding - I would handle it by being a little patient. I can see your point. If a company tells you they will contact you on a specified date, then I would expect that contact. However, what if the person is ill or out of town on vacation? The office may not disclose this information. I'd continue to call them but I probably wouldn't have brought it into this board as a post until after at least a week or more. In the end, I'm going to guess that this will probably be resolved to your satisfaction.
I wouldn't have brought it to this board if I had the slightest feeling of being treated with even the minimum standard of customer service....not to mention honesty. I held up my end of the deal. I paid quickly. I would hope they'd do the same. We'll see.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:52 PM
Fred

Rob,

To be clear - I'd also be pretty pissed off too after being shined on for that many days in a row. Please don't think or feel I don't understand the frustration. I still believe in the end it will shake out ok for you.

Last edited by Fred; 02-24-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:02 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

For the OP, I would be patient with Hunt. I had a similar situation with Hunt a few years ago, which I described here: Link. Even though Hunt was slow and took a couple of weeks to approve the return and a month to send the refund check, in the end, I did receive my full refund, so I was quite happy with the outcome.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:04 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

“Dave’s not here”? That’s a Cheech and Chong routine. I’d be very aggressive with them.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-24-2018, 06:08 PM
Scott Russell

No man, it's me, Dave, I've got the stuff...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 02-24-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:28 PM

Take the time to take the pennant to the Philly show coming up next weekend and tell him in person. Because, sometimes you gotta say WTF.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:22 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
“Dave’s not here”? That’s a Cheech and Chong routine. I’d be very aggressive with them.
That's hilarious. If "H" ever leaves the company, maybe Tommy Chong could be hired to replace her. He has the necessary skill set.