NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-21-2014, 01:00 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Lew Lipset - Old Judge

Having an auction this year?

or put out to pasture?
Old 03-21-2014, 01:06 PM
Robert Williams

My mom always said if you can't say anything nice about someone, don't say anything at all. End of story.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Oh I just am asking if he's done with the auction business or still in the game, no harm meant.

I believe this is the time of year he usually ran his, April....just curious.

Google:

put a horse out to pasture
to retire a horse by allowing it to live out its days in a pasture with no work.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 03-21-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:27 PM
Scott S

I believe last year he said it was going to be his last auction. There might still be some sales but no more auctions, was my understanding.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:58 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Oh I just am asking if he's done with the auction business or still in the game, no harm meant.

I believe this is the time of year he usually ran his, April....just curious.

Google:

put a horse out to pasture
to retire a horse by allowing it to live out its days in a pasture with no work.
Noooooooooo.....I wasn't talking about you. Let's just say I had a bad experience with his auctions and I WILL NOT be returning. I could care less if he ran them or not.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:25 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Noooooooooo.....I wasn't talking about you. Let's just say I had a bad experience with his auctions and I WILL NOT be returning. I could care less if he ran them or not.
Ah hah, so you are saying you would like to see him put out to pasture.

; )

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 03-21-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:35 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Last year's auction was his last. My understanding is he is possibly writing a book or something.I received an email last year from him wanting I believe old issues of SCD and possibly a Trader Speaks .
Old 03-21-2014, 05:58 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

He always had great stuff, that's one AH I'll actually miss.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:03 PM
Bob B.

Don't know Lew personally but have spoken on the phone several times. Nothing but good things to say from my angle. His auctions will be very missed.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:06 PM
Steve Murray

Jeff and Bob...+1
Old 03-21-2014, 08:07 PM
Belltown Vintage

I always enjoyed Lew's auctions - his and Barry's fit my collecting passions perfectly. I guess that means I'm out to pasture also.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Lew has always been nice to me in collecting. He has helped me many times and I will always be thankful for that. He also had a great type card collection that he sold through his auctions. I have been lucky (as many others have) to acquire a few of the pieces... I will miss the auctions too.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:45 PM

While I respect the work he put into the hobby, he treated me fairly bad one time and I never forgot that.

Days after I bought an expensive OJ card from him, I emailed him and said "Could I ask one question when you get a chance. Thanks" He wrote back and said "yes", so I asked the question and he gave me an answer that I now know was wrong. I asked to clarify a little(very nice about it) and he said, and I quote "You said one question"

That was it from me, he lost a customer with his rudeness and like I said, his answer was wrong. I had about 15 OJ cards back when I wrote him, just starting out, and now I have 350. One came from him.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 03-22-2014, 08:35 AM
Alex

^ wow
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:18 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
While I respect the work he put into the hobby, he treated me fairly bad one time and I never forgot that.

Days after I bought an expensive OJ card from him, I emailed him and said "Could I ask one question when you get a chance. Thanks" He wrote back and said "yes", so I asked the question and he gave me an answer that I now know was wrong. I asked to clarify a little(very nice about it) and he said, and I quote "You said one question"

That was it from me, he lost a customer with his rudeness and like I said, his answer was wrong. I had about 15 OJ cards back when I wrote him, just starting out, and now I have 350. One came from him.
His response could have just been a strange joke.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
His response could have just been a strange joke.
It wasn't, because his initial response to my question was just "no", with no explanation. Then after he said "You said one question" I just reiterated my second question and got no answer at all.

Like I said, he was wrong too, so either he knew and he didn't feel like answering my question, or he just didn't know, which means he shouldn't have answered. It wasn't a question an Old Judge expert would get wrong though, so I'm going with the didn't feel like answering.

I was nice and treated him with respect because I was a young kid then and he was a hobby legend, but like I said, I had just bought an expensive card from him days earlier. I believe the email started with me telling him I received the card, but I might be wrong about that. Could have been a day or two later.

I don't treat people like that and don't expect to be treated like that either. So I moved on.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 03-22-2014, 11:13 AM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Default Lew Lipset - Old Judge

I never had any issues with Lew. I'll miss his auctions also. Before this one gets out of hand, I'm gonna use the Troll spray.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg troll.jpg (9.8 KB, 364 views)

Last edited by rdwyer; 03-22-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:25 AM
Bobby Binder

Back when I was collecting bought a raw 1950 Bowman set from him he stated as being EX-mint, When I got the set in the mail around 50 of the cards had pin holes in them which he failed to mention. Called right away and he refused to accept a return on them. Best he could offer was to put them back in his next auction which would of been a year away. Mentioned what happened on I think this board and he sent me some threatening emails. He did do some good for the hobby but in my opinion he ripped off a lot of people.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:06 PM
Robert Williams

^^ Totally believe this ^^

I won't really get into my back experience with him. Let's just say it was along the same line as the person above me. Just because you are a hobby legend, doesn't give you the right to describe cards as EX/MT and send VG- cards in the mail. When I questioned him about it, I was blocked from bidding in his future auctions. Made no difference to me, as I wasn't about to give him any more of my hard earned money. And you can put out the troll spray all you want! I had a bad experience with him, and I have my full name behind my comments. Just because you are "old school" doesn't give you a right to be rude to people, nor does it give you a "free pass" in regards to selling cards as a higher represented grade than what you deliver. Not in my book at least. Others can sing his praises - I won't!
Old 03-22-2014, 06:41 PM
pete ullman

i never had any issues with Lew...I participated in a bunch of auctions always with good service and amazing cards...I too will miss them.

Last edited by ullmandds; 03-22-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:02 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
i never had any issues with Lew...I participated in a bunch of issues always with good service and amazing cards...I too will miss them.
Count yourself lucky you have been issue free then.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:55 PM

Just to put a bow on my part of this post. Got a nice email from Lew Lipset and an apology. Nice gesture and sounds like he is doing good.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:06 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

I know he did a lot for the hobby in the early days and I do enjoy his books but I won a lot in his last auction and its the only time I have ever really considered trying to return an AH lot as it was so far off on condition I was dumbfounded, I had heard of others who tried and failed to return in his auctions and knowing it was his last, I just ate it and hoped karma would pay me back in the future. Worst lot I have ever purchased.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:30 PM

I know this is a little off topic but I didn't feel like starting a new thread.

I was wondering if anyone has an auction catalog or catalogs from Lew's auctions from around 2002. I am looking for a couple of lots that were sold back then.

I tried his auction archive but it doesn't have the years or lots that I am looking for. I also contacted Mr. Lipset and he didn't seem to have any catalogs left.

If you happen to have these catalogs, the lots I am looking for are the Curtis Ireland group of cards and the large Gypsy Queen cards that were heavily trimmed. I would like the lot descriptions and final prices for these lots.

Thanks in advance,

David
Old 03-22-2014, 10:06 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I can't think of anyone alive today who has contributed more to the hobby that Lew. He was also a tremendous help to me in building my collection. I have nothing but respect and admiration for this man.

Jay Miller

Last edited by oldjudge; 03-23-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:35 PM

Lew is the best!
Old 03-22-2014, 10:36 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I can't think of anyone alive today who has contributed more to the hobby that Lew. He was also a tremendous help to me in building my collection. I have nothing but respect and admiration for this man.
Past performances doesn't mean this guy gets a free pass. He has screwed alot of people over lately. It is a shame though, because what could have been a good legacy is now tarnished over a couple of measley bucks. Good riddance.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:48 PM
NewEnglandBaseBallist

When I started collecting vintage, Lew's encyclopedia was the first reference I purchased. It served as the foundation for my hobby knowledge and I'm indebted to him for his many contributions to our hobby. I can't imagine collecting baseball cards without him.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:59 PM
pete ullman

i agree regarding lew's books...at the time they were the definitive reference books...i still have them and refer to them from time to time.

Times change and the hobby has changed dramatically since people like lew started buying/selling. besides the age factor i'd guess he's by and large left the auction scene as things have gotten so much more complicated than they used to be...and not everyone wants a part of it.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:26 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Robert--For someone committed to saying nothing, you sure are chatty.

Ja.y Mi.ller

Last edited by Leon; 03-23-2014 at 09:58 AM. Reason: name
Old 03-22-2014, 11:49 PM
Robert Williams

Im done talking....sorry if I offended anyone. Sometimes I get wound up......
Old 03-23-2014, 08:14 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Robert--For someone committed to saying nothing, you sure are chatty. LOL

Hahaha very true

Ale.x Wea.ver
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Last edited by Leon; 03-23-2014 at 09:57 AM. Reason: name
Old 03-23-2014, 08:19 AM
Robert Williams

I just don't like hearing everyone singing this dude's praises just because he is an old school legend. He ripped me off and has ripped others off. Quit making him out to be Mother Theresa.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:16 AM
Joe M.

Lew is gruff and gave one word answers most of the time. He never wanted to sit down and talk about cards, but has lots of knowledge. Met him years ago when he and I did shows in Michigan. Just like many old timers grading was off compared to todays standards.

Joe Ma.ples

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13

Last edited by Leon; 03-23-2014 at 09:56 AM. Reason: name
Old 03-23-2014, 09:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

everyone that has made a comment in this thread is going to

1. Have their name put in their post or put it there themselves.
2. Edit out their comment.

It's everyone's choice. And sooner than later there will be irrevocable names put in titles as I am getting tired of reminding every one. If you don't like it I don't care. You obviously are, forgetful, an idiot or can't read the rule at the top of every page. Pick one .

Edited to add, if you only made a benign comment and not an opinion then this won't apply.

Last edited by Leon; 03-23-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:35 AM
Alex

^ Reminds me of a comment a judge gave an attorney I was in trial against. The guy kept trying to elicit testimony that was sustained. Judge said "you either don't understand the law or don't respect my rulings and I don't know which one is worse."
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 03-23-2014, 09:52 AM
GaryPassamonte

I agree that Lew can come across as tacit or short at times. However, I appreciate his straightforward manner. He does not beat around the bush. This is actually refreshing in this day filled with "gray area."

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 03-23-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:28 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Certainly respect his contributions to the hobby, but he has drifted into old farthood when I was still a fairly young man. We had an issue on what I considered very, very, very loose grading standards on lot I purchased from him via mail order in the late 1980s and he told me he could grade cards anyway he wanted and my business was no longer desired. We have both been able to pursue our hobby interests without any problem near as I can tell, but I sure don't have a warm feeling about him.

To.dd Mar.cum

Last edited by Leon; 03-23-2014 at 10:40 AM. Reason: name