NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-19-2019, 12:39 PM
Michael

Default Collection move

I have a fairly substantial collection that is being moved from the west coast to Hawaii. Probably a few hundred pounds weight wise. maybe 10 boxes 30"x15"x15"
If it were you would you ship Fed Ex, UPS USPS etc? Your opinions are apprecicated. Thanks
Old 09-19-2019, 12:57 PM
Stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
I have a fairly substantial collection that is being moved from the west coast to Hawaii. Probably a few hundred pounds weight wise. maybe 10 boxes 30"x15"x15"
If it were you would you ship Fed Ex, UPS USPS etc? Your opinions are apprecicated. Thanks
I would probably use FedEx, maybe UPS, definitely NOT USPS (large insurance claims are a PITA with them)
Old 09-19-2019, 01:03 PM
Scott Russell

UPS and Fed Ex only insure collectibles up to $1,000 per shipment. Mind you they'll take your money for however much insurance you want to buy, and then when you got to make a claim they will refer you to the fine print.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-19-2019, 01:19 PM
Kyle May

Nope. That's not how this works. You don't get to move to Paradise AND bring your cards. Leave them for us suckers stuck on the Mainland.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 09-19-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:23 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

have you thought about cargo shipping services
like this one: https://www.royalhawaiianmovers.com/...ght/container/
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 09-19-2019, 01:27 PM
Scott Russell

Basically however you do it I would get the cards insured on their own policy that also covers the move. If you have serious money tied up in your collection you will sleep easier.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 09-19-2019, 01:28 PM
Chris Counts

I insured a package with UPS for $2,500, and it was destroyed during shipping. It was literally smashed to bits. They blamed me for poor packaging and refused to pay. Fortunately, I saved the receipt for the new packaging materials I bought to wrap it. I took them to small claims court and won.

If I had to do it again, I would make a video of the whole process ...
Old 09-19-2019, 01:58 PM
Mark Fox

There are freight companies that will ship to Hawaii, so your options are not limited to the usual USPS, FedEX and UPS so perhaps research freight companies but they will be more expensive The suggestion of 3rd party insurance prior to shipment is a great idea.

Regardless if you decide to ship via a freight company or the usual USPS, FedEX, UPS, I would consider using wooden crates to package the collection. The added weight will cost more but the security and added protection afforded by packing into wooden crates as opposed to cardboard boxes might me well worth the added cost.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:13 PM
je.sse @rnot

I would carry the more expensive cards in my collection with me on the plane. And as others mentioned make sure you insure the rest.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:25 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I would carry the more expensive cards in my collection with me on the plane. And as others mentioned make sure you insure the rest.

If you get an insurance policy, it should cover cards you mail and the cards you carry on your person.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:13 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Contact DHL. What you want is secure freight. Like having an armored transport take the cards for you. Assuming the collection is worth it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-19-2019, 05:30 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
I insured a package with UPS for $2,500, and it was destroyed during shipping. It was literally smashed to bits. They blamed me for poor packaging and refused to pay. Fortunately, I saved the receipt for the new packaging materials I bought to wrap it. I took them to small claims court and won.

If I had to do it again, I would make a video of the whole process ...
FWIW, this has been my experience with UPS as well...

A. Smashed/obliterated parcels
B. Damage claims that fall on deaf ears, with no recourse

I would choose FedEx or DHL over them any day.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:37 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

I would rent a cabin cruiser, hire a captain and accompany them over myself. No way do I ship an entire collection via unaccompanied airfreight.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:43 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
I would rent a cabin cruiser, hire a captain and accompany them over myself. No way do I ship an entire collection via unaccompanied airfreight.
Then you have to worry about pirates (not from Pittsburgh).
Old 09-19-2019, 07:43 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
Then you have to worry about pirates (not from Pittsburgh).
Yeah, they can't hit anything!

Old 09-20-2019, 11:12 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

If the cost of secured shipping is too much, I'd just hand carry the damn things myself...over multiple flights. Like going to the National with inventory.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-20-2019, 12:01 PM
Bobby Binder

Which island?

I live on Kauai
Old 09-20-2019, 02:55 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

I would pack the better stuff in Apache cases - get them at Harbor Freight... pretty much indestructible and waterproof, put them in a big shipping case something like used for musical instruments and pay to have them in the cargo section of your flight to Hawaii (most airlines sell cargo space) if the collection is worth enough.. Best stuff in an Apache and carry those on with you...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:45 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
If you get an insurance policy, it should cover cards you mail and the cards you carry on your person.
True, and although I've never made such a claim I could foresee problems. Cards that have gone up in value from the time I purchased. Cards that are worth a premium compared to others of the same grade due to exceptional eye appeal or centering. Cards that are very rare and difficult to replace.

These are the cards I would be most likely to carry on the plane with me. I would not completely trust any insurance policy or company.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:47 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
True, but although I've never made such a claim I can foresee problems arising. Cards that have gone up in value from the time I purchased. Cards that are worth a premium compared to others of the same grade due to exceptional eye appeal or centering. Cards that are very rare and difficult to replace.

These are the cards I would be most likely to carry on the plane with me. I would not completely trust any insurance policy or company.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 09-20-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I would fedex them (depending on value).
Old 10-01-2019, 04:57 PM
Michael

I decided to Fed Ex. To HI actually 2 day is cheapest. 11 Boxes. My collectors insurance covered about 10% assuming the plane went down and I lost it all at once. Whole thing arrived safely.
Thanks everyone for the input