NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-19-2010, 06:46 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Default What item did you sell or trade that you wish you had back?

This is always a good topic, like the one that got away! I think everyone has at least one item they regret losing... lets hear it!

I have two that come to mind.

First was a Roger Maris rookie card that was at least in EX+ condition and it was signed in blue ballpoint and was just a blazer. I think it may be the nicest I ever saw.

Second was a sweet 8x10 of the Four Horsemen of Notre Dame (on horseback!) that was signed by all four and it was from their playing days. It was in rough shape when I bought it, had been ripped in half at some point and glued to some cardboard. I spent over $1000 with a conservator to have it repaired. It was beautiful when it came back. But I needed some money and sold it at auction. Got about $3000 for it. Damn I miss that.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Many many laments over the years; I can think of these:

--E282 Goudey Oh Boy Gum Cards collection: sold off during a moment of financial panic. At least I kept the Dempsey. I'll likely never replace those.
--1931 PC Back Exhibit collection: ditto. Cards have skyrocketed since I sold them.
--1958 Bell Brand Gino Cimoli. Got it as a 'throw in' to close a deal when I was 12.
--1958 Jimmy Brown: A rookie card I got from a big box of cards some family friends gave me.
--Everything I sold my senior year of college. For some reason, cards weren't a priority then. I sold off a lot of good stuff, including a 1952 Bowman Mantle, 1952 and 1953 Topps Mays, 1954 Aaron, 1953 Topps and Bowman Mantle, 1954 Bowman Mantle.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Jason

1991 Score Mickey Mantle signed #0002/2500. The lowest possible to get out of a pack; I think. I like my old cardboard though but this one stands out. Also a E95 Honus Wagner; I didn't know what I had then and didn't get much for it. Thanks for the memories.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:36 AM
Jason

Bump for more stories. I thought this thread would take off, but no not really.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:19 AM
Howard Chasser

Default 1966 Wille Mays topps Test punchout

I got a fair price for it at the time, but had no idea how scarce this was. The 1966, not the 1967.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:26 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Default 1951 Playoff game 3 stub

Another one that I had was a 1951 game three ticket stub from the 3 game playoff. You know, the "Shot Heard Round The World" game. I came home from work to find a beautiful stub on Ebay for $150. Now this was maybe 10 years back. I had never even seen one sell before and was new to the ticket collecting hobby. I figured it was a good price so I bought it. Within an hour I had another collector offer me $800 for it. I thought thats a nice profit for an hours work so I took it. I didn't see another sell on Ebay for several years, but when I did it sold for $2400. So I learned from that.

I try not to fall in love with any particular item. An old collector told me, "if you see it cheap, buy it. If you can sell it high, sell it. Another will come along again". Basically true if you watch long enough. Unless its a one of a kind item of course. I am not particularly wealthy so I keep things a while and then sell and buy something else.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:26 AM

A 1914 CJ Cicotte and several score cards from the 20's thru 40's. I had answered a newspaper ad in the early 90's from a guy who had cards for sale. When I got there he pulled out what looked like 400 or so score cards all from 40's and older. His Father was a traveling salesman and went to games on his travels. He wanted $5 a piece. I couldnt afford them all so I picked out the best ones. Several Yankees in there with Ruth and Gehrig. Many scored when they hit HR's. Some from Joe D.'s first year with the Yankees and also one from one of Bob Fellers no hitters.

Man this is painful. Traded them for practically nothing back then.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:15 AM
Kevin O'Gara

6 orig. snap shots of the 1919 world series game 1 , given to me for nothing. sold to dealer later on.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:56 PM

A 1921 Ban Johnson Americal League ball. Obtained it on eBay about 10 years ago, and ended up selling it 5 years ago, for exactly what I paid for it. I contacted the buyer to make sure he was going to take care of it. That was the only consolation, that it was a father who was passing along his love of the game and its history to his son. But it's still not a happy memory.