NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-25-2020, 11:40 AM
Taylor Hamilton

Default Type I photos... why are their multiples?

Haven't dipped my toe in the type I photo water yet, but am curious about how to think about Type I photos. Sometimes I will see the same image in two different photos and both are described as Type I. Can their be multiple Type I photos of the same image?
Old 03-25-2020, 11:43 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Sure. Can be many. Just printed from the original negative within 2 years of when it was taken.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 03-25-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:11 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

For most vintage photos, there no more than a handful of originals out there.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:01 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

The definition of a Type 1 photograph according to the Yee/Fogel system, which PSA has adopted, is a photo printed from the original negative within 2 years of the photo being taken.
Given that definition, it is certainly possible, even probable, that more than one copy was made, for various reasons. The reality is likely not that many were made and some of those were destroyed/damaged/cut up for composites or editorial choices. This is why they bring premiums over Types 2, 3, or 4.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 03-25-2020, 02:12 PM
Rob Sl@+kin

The longer you are active in the photo market (and the more photos you see or handle), the more you will learn about which images are unique, scarce, rare, plentiful, etc. as original vintage prints made from the original negative.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:52 PM
Jason Seidl

I have really gotten into collecting these. Far, far fewer examples of a type I photo than a card. A type 1 can be 1 of 1 or 1 of 50. Just depends how popular the shot was at the time. A shot can be type 1 as long as it was developed within ROUGHLY 2 year from being taken. I have seen a bit of wiggle room here.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey City Giants View Post
I have really gotten into collecting these. Far, far fewer examples of a type I photo than a card. A type 1 can be 1 of 1 or 1 of 50. Just depends how popular the shot was at the time. A shot can be type 1 as long as it was developed within ROUGHLY 2 year from being taken. I have seen a bit of wiggle room here.

Always wondered, how can you tell if a print was made from the negative 2 years after the photo was taken...versus 3, 4 or 5 years later? Does it need to have a date stamped on back?
Old 03-25-2020, 03:42 PM
Taylor Hamilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by docpatlv View Post
Always wondered, how can you tell if a print was made from the negative 2 years after the photo was taken...versus 3, 4 or 5 years later? Does it need to have a date stamped on back?
Great information so far, that is another question I would LOVE answered.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:06 PM
Jason Seidl

Stamps, paper type, writing on back. Many times PSA will not offer an opinion when they just don't know.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:46 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Hamilton View Post
Great information so far, that is another question I would LOVE answered.
2 years is an arbitrary number, though, as noted, date stamps, tags or circumstance says the photo was made within 2 years.

News photos were by definition for news and news reporting, so, barring stock or reusable images (ala standard portrait of the President or image of the Capitol Building), they were made very soon after the image was made.

Original movie press or still photos were made for when the movie came out, not 2 or 3 years after. That's a case of determining by circumstance.

But for some photos, such as George Burke photos, you can't know. From the studio stamp you can be sure a Burke photo is vintage, ala 1930s, but won't know if that 1933 image or Babe Ruth was made in 1933 or 1939.

Vintage Burke photos are still highly collectible and collected, and that they fall outside the type system shows the limits and scope of the type system not the photos. The type system was designed with the usually easily datable news photos in mind. PSA has to bend their rules to call a Burke photo a Type I-- and I think they often do. They bend their rules for other photos, and are often making fair judgment calls.

But there's no reason the cut off has to specifically be 2 years. That was just PSA's arbitrary pick for their 'type system,' and no doubt there are PSA 1-ing photos that they aren't certain fall within that window. Thus, they don't always use it as a cut-and-dry detriment because they can't. However, since 2 years is arbitrary anyway (why can't it be 3 yeas or 2-1/2 or 1 or 'soon after'?) that's doesn't have to be treated as a big issue. Vintage and from the original negative is what you should be looking for.

Also note that PSA's system doesn't say a Type I is automatically better and more value than a Type 2 or whatever. PSA itself specifically makes that point. It's a system for cataloging photos-- though there are some obvious trends value-wise. They also say that their system doesn't apply to some photos.

One needs only point out that N172 Old Judges are not Type 1 images (they're photos of photos), and can be quite valuable. Though N172s are also trading cards, and that it's own collecting genre. You can say that N172s fall into two colleting areas, and any 1800s baseball photo will have value just from being from the1800s.

Last edited by drcy; 03-25-2020 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:00 PM
Taylor Hamilton

This is all just so fascinating to me... its like the light to my shelter in place darkness.

Any other good threads or websites that can be shared would be appreciated.

Taylor
Old 03-25-2020, 06:07 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

By chance, I'm designing and setting up as we speak an online short course on authenticating news photos. I hope to have it ready to go in a couple of weeks.

Will cover everything one needs to know.

Last edited by drcy; 03-25-2020 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
By chance, I'm designing and setting up as we speak an online short course on authenticating news photos. I hope to have it ready to go in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-25-2020, 09:09 PM
Rob Sl@+kin

Quote:

David's knowledge about photography is exceptional, and I've found his course/educational materials to be very helpful and valuable.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:36 PM
Brendan Mullen

*there
Old 03-26-2020, 01:39 PM

Sounds like a great idea David, there is so much to learn at the beginning of the process and then once you have a handle on it, you can self authenticate about 99% of vintage photographs so I think your new venture is fantastic!

Rhys
Old 03-26-2020, 06:17 PM
Rob Sl@+kin

I have tremendous respect for Rhys and RMY Auctions, and encourage all photo enthusiasts to support his great auctions! However, I do have a different view on the apparent ease of "self-authenticating" photographs.

My perspective based on personal experiences and interactions with other seasoned photo collectors, dealers, and conservators is that the more you know, the more you realize that it can be very challenging to authenticate and date vintage photographs.

I respectfully disagree with those who would imply that it is easy to authenticate photographs. We have all (experienced collectors, auction houses, TPGs) made mistakes in accurately describing, categorizing, and dating of photos.

Further, photos can have many substances and items added to them, taken off them, and they can be altered at different times and in many, many ways. It can be a challenge to verify the authenticity of a photo, or any document, in some cases.

IMHO, someone may be able to "relatively quickly" gain enough knowledge and skill to "self-authenticate" a typical $20-$75 photo in the current marketplace, and that might be okay. But prices are rising for quality photos and the market is growing. There is more incentive for crooks and frauds... and therefore more risk. Many newsphotos are into the hundreds and thousands of dollars... some even at ten's of thousands of dollars or more!

Anyway, yes people can authenticate their own photos... But I don't believe it is easy or simple. Just like becoming an expert in anything, you will need a sufficient amount of knowledge, experience, and skills, as well as proper tools and processes.

In any case, David creates excellent educational materials with information from which anyone interested in photography would benefit.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:11 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

+100. I have seen some of the very most knowledgeable photo guys on this board have spirited debates on dating certain photos. My experience is some photos are very simple to date and others are difficult and others are next to impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
I have tremendous respect for Rhys and RMY Auctions, and encourage all photo enthusiasts to support his great auctions! However, I do have a different view on the apparent ease of "self-authenticating" photographs.

My perspective based on personal experiences and interactions with other seasoned photo collectors, dealers, and conservators is that the more you know, the more you realize that it can be very challenging to authenticate and date vintage photographs.

I respectfully disagree with those who would imply that it is easy to authenticate photographs. We have all (experienced collectors, auction houses, TPGs) made mistakes in accurately describing, categorizing, and dating of photos.

Further, photos can have many substances and items added to them, taken off them, and they can be altered at different times and in many, many ways. It can be a challenge to verify the authenticity of a photo, or any document, in some cases.

IMHO, someone may be able to "relatively quickly" gain enough knowledge and skill to "self-authenticate" a typical $20-$75 photo in the current marketplace, and that might be okay. But prices are rising for quality photos and the market is growing. There is more incentive for crooks and frauds... and therefore more risk. Many newsphotos are into the hundreds and thousands of dollars... some even at ten's of thousands of dollars or more!

Anyway, yes people can authenticate their own photos... But I don't believe it is easy or simple. Just like becoming an expert in anything, you will need a sufficient amount of knowledge, experience, and skills, as well as proper tools and processes.

In any case, David creates excellent educational materials with information from which anyone interested in photography would benefit.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:13 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

A collector can stick to the easy to identify ones.

Last edited by drcy; 03-27-2020 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:43 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:

Looking forward to it, David!
Old 03-27-2020, 02:53 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey City Giants View Post
Many times PSA will not offer an opinion when they just don't know.
With the obvious joke being "but many times they will (offer an opinion)"

Doug "still beating that dead horse" Goodman

Or maybe "as long as that dead horse asks for a beating..."
Old 03-27-2020, 03:28 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Quote:

This is honestly, what the photo collecting world needs.Looking forward to it David!
Old 03-27-2020, 03:58 PM
H Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo32 View Post
This is honestly, what the photo collecting world needs.Looking forward to it David!
+ 1, Count me in as another 54`er looking forward to this. Hey Gary how you doing sir, hope all`s well with you and the crew !
Old 03-27-2020, 09:02 PM

I was basically saying what David said. There are still new things I am learning every day about vintage photos whether it is a nuance in a stamp, weird captions, new photographers etc. If you are dealing with run of the mill "easy stuff" you can self authenticate and be pretty safe with a HUGE majority of photographs with a small bit of knowledge and sticking to dealers you trust.

To agree with others, yes photographs can be VERY tricky if you dive into blank backed items etc. If you want to start buying 1930's baseball photos stamped on the back by news services, you will be fine with a little education. If you want to start buying blank back Marilyn Monroe studio photographs on ebay, you are going to need the hobby equivalent of a PhD!

It is fun! Start small, educate yourself and you stick to people you trust and allow you to ask questions and before you know it, you will be off to the races!
Old 03-27-2020, 09:35 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Yes, the vast majority of news photos are pretty straightforward to authenticate, in part because they are often stamped and tagged. Many literally have the date stamped on them. And the course is about news photos specifically.

There will be debates about obscure photos, such as a 1800s cabinets and CDVs. Though these debates often aren't about whether or not the photo is original, but the specific date range and perhaps who is the pictured team.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:59 PM
Paul Herbener

Quote:

I'm looking forward to this David! I also wanted to point out that Mark noted that PSA uses the Fogel/Yee system in its photo classification. I didn't see it mentioned but the Fogel, Yee, et. al. book " A Portrait of Baseball Photography" is a must for anyone delving into the wonderful world of photo collecting!