NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-22-2015, 10:54 AM
JRO$!( JRO$!( is offline
jt
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: vt
Posts: 74
Cool The Empire Strikes Back (original 1980 version)

If you ever see ANY star wars movie, and i have not seen the new one yet; i would say it would be imperative to see TESB at least once! It is without any doubts a movie that stands alone, and above many in the sci-fi genre. It is worth trying to sit through at least once...........sincerely--jt

Last edited by JRO$!(; 12-22-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-22-2015, 11:05 AM
Beatles Guy's Avatar
Beatles Guy Beatles Guy is offline
Jason Albregts
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Elsberry, MO
Posts: 1,435
Default

It was very good in 3D. I enjoyed the fact that there was way less computer animation than in 1-3.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-22-2015, 10:21 PM
itjclarke's Avatar
itjclarke itjclarke is offline
I@n Cl@rke
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRO$!( View Post
If you ever see ANY star wars movie, and i have not seen the new one yet; i would say it would be imperative to see TESB at least once! It is without any doubts a movie that stands alone, and above many in the sci-fi genre. It is worth trying to sit through at least once...........sincerely--jt
ESB is by far my favorite as well... and definitely prefer the originals. ESB didn't get as brutalized in its rerelease, but the whole Greedo shoots first in Star Wars was terrible.

Apparently the originals are becoming impossible to find. I think the last time they were released (on VHS) was in the '90's and apparently Lucas has made efforts to prevent the original's film preservation.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-23-2015, 12:13 AM
glchen's Avatar
glchen glchen is offline
_G@ґy*€hℯη_
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
Am taking a "long lunch" tomorrow, catching a matinee at a small neighborhood theater near my house. As it gets closer, I'm pretty pumped up!!
I'm surprised you didn't see it at the Metreon. I'm thinking of also taking a long lunch break next week, and taking the BART across the bay to see it there.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-23-2015, 01:11 AM
itjclarke's Avatar
itjclarke itjclarke is offline
I@n Cl@rke
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I'm surprised you didn't see it at the Metreon. I'm thinking of also taking a long lunch break next week, and taking the BART across the bay to see it there.
I actually intentionally saw it at the tiny West Portal theater because I figured it would be relatively mellow, and since I had tons of work to get done in the AM, just posted up across the street at Starbucks so I could monitor the lines while working. It did get sorta dicey when work stuff hit the fan exactly when the line started moving, but by then I had a friend there to save the seats, so it worked out.

And the Metreon and other IMAX theaters were sold out all shows.

I'll probably do a repeat viewing next week and see it on 3D IMAX. I feel like I'm 7 all over again.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-23-2015, 11:54 AM
yanksfan09's Avatar
yanksfan09 yanksfan09 is offline
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
ESB is by far my favorite as well... and definitely prefer the originals. ESB didn't get as brutalized in its rerelease, but the whole Greedo shoots first in Star Wars was terrible.

Apparently the originals are becoming impossible to find. I think the last time they were released (on VHS) was in the '90's and apparently Lucas has made efforts to prevent the original's film preservation.
The DVD trilogy in the blue box (released in 2008) is going for big bucks now. I believe it's the only set that ever released the original theatrical cuts on DVD's. I bought this set becaue of that probably a year or so after it was first released and paid up for it because of this. I think I may have paid 60-80 bucks? can't remember, it originally was released at 39.99 I believe, in the stores. Sealed DVD sets of these have been going for $200-300+ lately on ebay I think. Opened sets anywhere from 100-200 depending on shape of box. I wish I had known, I would have kept my set better (discs mint though). I opened it and watched them and the outer box got a bit banged up since I bought it. Glad I bought mine when I did.

The theatrical cuts are on the bonus disc in each movie box. 6 total DVDs (2 each movie). the main first disc in each his one of the changed "special edition" re-releases but they have superior sound and picture quality to the original cuts on the bonus disc. But anyone who wants the un-tampered with "Han shoots first' versions needs to own this set, to have it on a watchable format.

I feel like a kid again too and couldn't help myself from buying some of the new toys. I also bought the 1st 4 comics from the 70's and am thinking of picking up a few more vintage toys... Indeed the force has awoken in me.
__________________
Er1ck.L. ---D381 seeker http://www.flickr.com/photos/30236659@N04/sets/

Last edited by yanksfan09; 12-23-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-24-2015, 02:07 AM
itjclarke's Avatar
itjclarke itjclarke is offline
I@n Cl@rke
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
The DVD trilogy in the blue box (released in 2008) is going for big bucks now. I believe it's the only set that ever released the original theatrical cuts on DVD's. I bought this set becaue of that probably a year or so after it was first released and paid up for it because of this. I think I may have paid 60-80 bucks? can't remember, it originally was released at 39.99 I believe, in the stores. Sealed DVD sets of these have been going for $200-300+ lately on ebay I think. Opened sets anywhere from 100-200 depending on shape of box. I wish I had known, I would have kept my set better (discs mint though). I opened it and watched them and the outer box got a bit banged up since I bought it. Glad I bought mine when I did.

The theatrical cuts are on the bonus disc in each movie box. 6 total DVDs (2 each movie). the main first disc in each his one of the changed "special edition" re-releases but they have superior sound and picture quality to the original cuts on the bonus disc. But anyone who wants the un-tampered with "Han shoots first' versions needs to own this set, to have it on a watchable format.

I feel like a kid again too and couldn't help myself from buying some of the new toys. I also bought the 1st 4 comics from the 70's and am thinking of picking up a few more vintage toys... Indeed the force has awoken in me.
Woah, I wish I'd known about those DVDs. No idea why Lucas was so tight fisted with the old versions. We all know Han killed Greedo in cold blood, stop with the revisionist history! Wouldn't seem Disney would want to get behind that version either, but with that said, cannot imagine how much they'd make if they released a new, remastered version of the originals. They could even force people to buy the prequels by packaging them into the box set.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who's aging in reverse. I now find myself watching old unopened figures and posters on eBay.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-25-2015, 03:37 PM
JRO$!( JRO$!( is offline
jt
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: vt
Posts: 74
Default Christmas in the stars...

Star Wars christmas album exists, and has warped my brain since childhood!

At first listen, it is horrific, but slowly begins to brainwash you until

i can honestly say it is one of my favorites! I own multiple copies. Listen on

youtube (alcohol can help) May the force be with you.......merry x-mas to all.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-27-2015, 09:57 PM
egri's Avatar
egri egri is offline
Sco.tt Mar.cus
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 446
Default

I haven't seen the new one yet; I just wanted to share this story from when Revenge of the Sith came out:

At the time, I was in fifth grade, and one of my neighbors was the head of the Star Wars division for Hasbro. (Side note: He has one of the largest collectons of Star Wars and GI Joe action figures in the country; if anyone went to the USS Intrepid Museum about ten years ago when they had a GI Joe exhibit, that was part of his collection). Anyways, he was able to get tickets for me and my dad to see Revenge of the Sith about a week before it was released to the public. For a whole week, I was the Dos Equis man at school, because I knew what happened. They printed out special tickets for it, and I'm pretty sure mine is still around somewhere if I can exhume it from my room.
__________________
Signed 1953 Topps set: 232/274 (84.67 %)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-28-2015, 12:38 AM
PolarBear's Avatar
PolarBear PolarBear is offline
Don
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 565
Default

Crash landing on desert planet - check
Droid carrying secret plans - check
Plans must be delivered to the rebels - check
Stormtroopers torching a homestead - check
Escaping on the Falcon - check
Cantina scene - check
Bad guy in a black mask - check
Jedi hermit in hiding - check
Rescuing the girl from the bad guys - check
Old guy dies - check
Death Star with vulnerable flaw - check
Flying through Death Star trench - check
Death Star minutes away from destroying rebel base - check
Death Star exploding - check


I think JJ Abrams just watched the original 1977 Star Wars movie and said "Lets remake that and call it a day."
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone Collect Vintage Star Wars?!? Big Six WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics 4 01-12-2013 03:24 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 AM.


ebay GSB