NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-22-2013, 10:09 PM
Greg Starling

Default Help Valuing a T206 - Frank Smith Chicago/Boston Card

I took a chance and picked up a card that looked good to me. It's not what I collect so I'm looking to move it, but I have no idea how to value it. I had thought about putting it on eBay with a high BIN and take offers, but I don't even know what "high" means for this card. The VCP is all over the place and the card just doesn't show up enough to have any meaningful trend. I would just run an auction, but I'm not sure the card shows up enough for the right couple of people to see it. Any help putting some kind of value for the card is greatly appreciated.

T206 Sweet Caporal Frank Smith Chicago / Boston
Series 350-460 Factory 42 Overprint (Factory 30 Showing)
PSA 4 that displays very well

Scanner was a bit fuzzy so in addition to scanner pics also added actual camera photos that give a better feel for the actual crispness of the text and colors.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:35 PM
Rob

Default nice card

I used to have a cycle 460 that I bought and sold for peanuts 10 years ago.

You should run an auction in bst. The mods could move this over there or leave it here. I'll start the bidding at $100
Old 01-22-2013, 10:49 PM
Matt Hall

VCP has tons of data for that card. Are you sure you looked deep enough?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:55 PM
Rob

JustCollect sold a PSA 4 Polar Bear on ebay 2 weeks ago for 188.59. SC missed overstrike may sell for more...
Old 01-22-2013, 10:56 PM
Greg Starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
VCP has tons of data for that card. Are you sure you looked deep enough?
I dug through all the Chicago / Boston variations, didn't really see any kind of recent sales that would lend itself to helping price the card. I could have missed it though - are you seeing this card with this variation there?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:05 PM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

Are we bidding?

$150
Old 01-22-2013, 11:05 PM
Greg Starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
JustCollect sold a PSA 4 Polar Bear on ebay 2 weeks ago for 188.59. SC missed overstrike may sell for more...
The polar bear is twice as common as the Sweet Caporal and this card displays quite a bit better. I think it looks closer to the Old Mill albeit is a PSA 5 (about the same overall pop 15 SC vs 16 OM) that sold for $780.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:06 PM
Greg Starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkammeyer View Post
Are we bidding?

$150
no please - didn't want to turn it into that kind of thread. I'm new to tabacco so I'm just looking for help valuing it. If it makes sense, I'll move this over to the B/S/T board, but for now I'd like to figure value.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:13 PM
Rob

Default 200

Greg,

These "two factory number" cards don't really have an established value. You could consign to sterling or b&l and the 'right people' would see it. I'm not going any higher than 275 fwiw, but I don't really collect the t206 error stuff unless I get a good deal on it.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:12 AM
Belltown Vintage

I sold a bunch of them (2 factories showing) on ebay and did not receive a premium (ask Leon )

I would love; however, for them to have a premium - I still have a bunch left.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:29 AM
Greg Starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I sold a bunch of them (2 factories showing) on ebay and did not receive a premium (ask Leon )

I would love; however, for them to have a premium - I still have a bunch left.
I'm not so worried about the 2 factories showing as I'm curious what this type of card would go for. I know PSA has only graded 15 of these with the Sweet Caporal back so it's tough to get a good idea on value. I'm thinking about running a 99 cent auction and just seeing, but I don't know. Really looking for advice.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:52 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregstarling View Post
I'm not so worried about the 2 factories showing as I'm curious what this type of card would go for. I know PSA has only graded 15 of these with the Sweet Caporal back so it's tough to get a good idea on value. I'm thinking about running a 99 cent auction and just seeing, but I don't know. Really looking for advice.
When I run a card auction like you are describing, it's 'usually' to get rid of a card that's been sitting in my store too long - I have no expectations of recouping my costs.

A better bet for this one would be consigning to an auction house that specializes in this sort of thing ($200+ single cards).
Old 01-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

I agree that going with an auction house (Sterling, B&L and LOTG are all good choices) that specialize in this type of card will probably maximize value. That said, starting at .99 on ebay, I'd guess that you could expect somewhere around $225-$275. It's a fairly rare version (CHI & BOS) in a decent grade and with an unusual missed over-strike back.

Steve
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:49 PM
Greg Starling

Well, I decided to roll the dice and put it on eBay. Appreciate the advice.