NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-12-2016, 09:44 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Default Normally black and white cards showing up with color??

Had a friend ask me recently about my experience with the green f50 Harrington's Earl Smith. For those that don't know, that's from the 1928 Harrington's set - normally a black and white set - but for some reason, the Earl Smith card came out all green.

I realize that there's plenty of cards out there that are missing color passes and even some cards that should have full color that you see the very scarce black & white version of. But my question is, how often do you see cards where a color pass has been ADDED, not subtracted during the final print run?

I have one here...a 1923 w572 that has a red tint for some reason or another. Any other colorized examples of B&W cards out there? Any theories as to why they'd have the color added?

w572red.jpg
Old 06-12-2016, 09:49 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Here's the green f50....notice green image on the front and all green text on the back. Seems like this card was a promotion or giveaway at one point ....can't remember why they chose to make it green though.

f50.jpg
Old 06-13-2016, 07:44 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think I had that red strip card. I always really loved it but I think I loved it more than anyone else. It might have been a trial run, or one off, to see what they would look like in color.

\
Quote:
Originally Posted by shammus View Post
Had a friend ask me recently about my experience with the green f50 Harrington's Earl Smith. For those that don't know, that's from the 1928 Harrington's set - normally a black and white set - but for some reason, the Earl Smith card came out all green.

I realize that there's plenty of cards out there that are missing color passes and even some cards that should have full color that you see the very scarce black & white version of. But my question is, how often do you see cards where a color pass has been ADDED, not subtracted during the final print run?

I have one here...a 1923 w572 that has a red tint for some reason or another. Any other colorized examples of B&W cards out there? Any theories as to why they'd have the color added?

Attachment 234735
Old 06-13-2016, 08:45 AM

The Earl Smith Harrington card was the chase card for the set - the one that kept you from winning a gallon of ice cream. Bob Lempke's blog from September 2009 had a good write up about it when Heritage was trying to sell one for $40k. There were a few different theories about why it was green but nobody is really sure. Nice card - yours must be worth a lot now.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:41 AM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

The one shown in the scan is the one I had, but no longer have. When that whole thing with Heritage went down, I happened to already have a 2nd example already sitting in my collection. If I recall correctly, they hyped it, started it at 40k, then the auction was pulled. I can't remember if Heritage ever sold that example but I do remember that when an example of that card was finally sold at auction, it only went for 2k if memory serves. I traded mine right as all the hype was going on that surrounded the card initially.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:43 AM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Heh, Leon, I remember you beat me for the red w572 when it came up for auction initially, several years ago. I think you and I were the only ones bidding on it seriously though. I had a much easier time winning it once you were the one selling it and not competing against me for it