NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main PreWWII Forums > Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-27-2017, 08:29 AM

I haven't seen anyone offer any evidence that pitchers throw harder today than they did in the past. The reason you hear about so many guys throwing 99 or 100 is that they are specialized pitchers. They throw one inning. If they threw more than one inning they would be useless because having only one pitch is a death sentence to pitchers. Back when Ruth played you either had three pitches and could throw seven to nine innings a game, or you threw multiple innings in relief. You would have still had guys throwing 99, but if they only threw 99 they weren't going to be successful in the past iterations of baseball.

Last edited by packs; 04-27-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:27 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I don't know if Ruth would be a star today, to be frank, or really anyone from the prewar era. For me, I don't think it would be the issue of international or African Americans playing the game. Ruth did go on barnstorming tours and to Japan, so I think he did play against those types of players and did equally well during that era. So even if Ruth's era had international and African American players, I think Ruth would do just as well or close to it. To add to this, I don't think you saw the star players whose careers crossed eras such as integration or adding more international players, their stats didn't just drop through the floor. Players like Ted Williams or Stan Musial did just fine adjusting as more players were added to the league and were still huge stars.

However, today's game has a lot more different types of pitches and you have specialty pitchers who pitch to just lefties, etc. Ruth may have had the talent to hit the fastball or curve in any era. However, he may not have had the talent to hit the slider or change-up or all of the different types of pitches in the modern era. Even with the modern training regimen, you still need the talent to hit those types of pitches and in different areas of the strike zone, and once pitchers of today's era know that you can't hit a certain type of pitch, they'll just keep throwing it at you all of the time.
I seem to recall that Ruth was tested by personnel from Harvard, who found his eyesight to be around 20/10, and his reflexes off the chart. Given his drive, I'm sure he would have taken full advantage of modern training methods (and I don't mean artificial additives) and would have been even faster and stronger. He would also have adapted to the newer pitches. I played over 30 fast pitch hardball in my early to mid 40's, and Jeff Hamilton, formerly of THE LOS ANGELES DODGERS, was also in that league on an opposing team. We had one pitcher with a slider I could never hit, even in batting practice, when he told me it was coming, due its very late, sharp break. Hamilton, however, went 3 for 5 off him in a game, with two homeruns and a double. When we talked to him after the game, he said that all he really needed to do was see the pitch once, and he would be ready for it. I am sure the Babe would have been able to do the same thing quite well, with his God-given gifts.

Also, if you've ever seen game film of the Babe hitting, you might think his full-body windup style (which is where the "swinging from the heals" phrase originated from) might be a hindrance, but a very similar style worked quite well for Bryce Harper in 2015 and has thus far this year. Just my 75 cents worth.

Highest regards,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 04-27-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:02 AM
Chris

I think to answer the question on if Babe Ruth would have a phenomenal career in todays MLB, you would also need to look at the pitching between his era and our current league. I don't know enough to be able to give a good answer to this, but I do know that Babe in the 20s still had to deal with a spitball which I bet any current MLB player would have difficulty hitting. The spitball was banned in 1920 but we all know it had continued usage in additional to other doctored balls.

Also, look at complete games pitched during the dead ball/beginning of live ball era. Those pitching records are considered unbreakable. Someone pointed out Walter Johnson barely broke 90 mph, but he would throw consistent complete games, and get over 30 wins a season, both unheard of today. The pitchers might not have throw faster than todays MLB pitchers, but I think its safe to say batters facing elite pitchers in the 1920s dealt with their own unique challenges.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:12 AM
Scott Russell

MY issue always comes down to this. Human beings haven't evolved in 100 years. On an evolutionary scale that's a blip. So are we transporting 1920 Babe Ruth to today, or is Babe Ruth being reborn in 1994 and playing today? If it's the latter, it shouldn't even be a question, if it's the former, well, I still think he'd be great, not like he was then, but still a great player.
Great experience buying from edjs and mybuddyinc. Check out my ebay store, weird, eclectic, accurate, and reasonable! http://stores.ebay.com/Aquarian-Sports-Cards Also check out http://www.birminghamauctioneers.com
Old 05-19-2017, 05:46 PM
Howard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
In the 50s Cobb was asked what he would hit if he were playing today, and he said, around .270. The questioner was shocked and said are today's players really that much better? He said no, but I am 70 years old.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 05-19-2017, 05:52 PM
Paul Carek

Although he'd be 121 years old if he played today, I'd still gladly put him in left for my Giants.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:15 PM
Sam Lemoine

Here's a comparison for you: Nobutaka Taguchi of Japan won the Gold Medal in the 1972 100m backstroke (the same Olympics of Mark Spitz's 7 wins) with a time of 104.94. He would have finished second in the 2016 Olympics behind Lilly King's time of 104.93. Of course, he would have been racing against women in the 2016 Olympics, as opposed to the males he won against in 1972.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:28 PM
Scott Russell

Yes but if he was born in 1996 he likely is still a gold medalist. Humanity has not evolved physically in such a short time, it's better training, nutrition science, etc...
Great experience buying from edjs and mybuddyinc. Check out my ebay store, weird, eclectic, accurate, and reasonable! http://stores.ebay.com/Aquarian-Sports-Cards Also check out http://www.birminghamauctioneers.com
Old 05-19-2017, 08:39 PM
Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
Also, as Peter mentioned, pitchers don't seem to throw any harder now, and hitters don't seem to hit the ball any further these days....
But they do, don't they? Even if they don't "seem to." WaJo was probably throwing in the 90s pretty consistently over the first several innings, but not in the high 90s and not after the 5th inning. 90 mph was a serious fastball back then. And who, other than Ruth himself, hit more than a few shots beyond 450'?
Old 05-19-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
But they do, don't they? Even if they don't "seem to." WaJo was probably throwing in the 90s pretty consistently over the first several innings, but not in the high 90s and not after the 5th inning. 90 mph was a serious fastball back then. And who, other than Ruth himself, hit more than a few shots beyond 450'?
Johnson was tested on two different occations where his fastball was clocked in the high 90s. So, he probably was throwing in the high 90s in games.