NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

Default Are MK Old Judge cards collectible or are they looked down on?

I have a card in mind I want to purchase but it is slabbed graded bu miss cut (MK). Would appreciate the opinions of the experts here. By the way it is a hall of fame player.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Daryl

I missed out on Peter Chao by a year or so, but I did go back and read what that crazy fella Archive said about him. You do a great impression.

Last edited by 4815162342; 04-05-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Ad@m Be11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone91 View Post
I have a card in mind I want to purchase but it is slabbed graded bu miss cut (MK). Would appreciate the opinions of the experts here. By the way it is a hall of fame player.
If you like it, buy it. My opinion on what you should enjoy is meaningless. Each has their own tastes.
E106: 4/48
E210-1: Completed December 2013
R319: 43/240
Old 04-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

I want to know before spending good money on a MK card. I could care less if it is a MK card but the day I come to sell my collection later on in life I will care if it just sits there and people do not collect MK cards.

I do not think it is a crazy thing to know what we are buying and not just spending with a blind eye that is why I ask these questions...money is money we have to work HARD for it so I try to be a smart buyer and know what I am doing....and in this situation I do not know what I am doing with a MK card for this specific set.

Last edited by Zone91; 04-05-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:26 PM

MK doesn't stand for Miss Kut, it means marking known, as in there is probably writing on the back
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 04-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

z28jd

Did not know that. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

MK qualifiers really need to be evaluated on a card by card basis. Sometimes it is for the smallest little mark that you can't even find on the card and sometimes it is for writing all over the back. It's all over the place. I think there are collectors out there that don't want any qualifier for any reason and then there are some who don't care about them at all. It's really up to you.

When it comes to T206's, I'm a collector who is very into backstamps on the cards. These always get an MK qualifier and it doesn't bother me at all because I want the backstamp. Others don't like these stamps though. It's all just each collector's preference. To each his own.

Thanks

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 04-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

CobbSpikedMe

Thanks...by the way there is a T206 for sale on Ebay right now with a ''stamp'' like you like to collect with a MK designation. Do not know if you saw it.

Link:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/T206-Piedmont...item5630fcc92d

Last edited by Zone91; 04-05-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:47 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Thanks a lot for the link Zone. Unfortunately my pathetic card budget laughs at me when I consider buying a card for this much. Over the years I've become pretty good at picking up a nice variety of cards from several sets on this tiny budget though.

I'll be sure to add the image of this stamp to my backstamp project website if I don't have it already, so I'm still happy to be alerted to the card on eBay. I've got a few P.B.White stamp images already I think.

Best regards,

AndyH

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
Old 04-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

CobbSpikedMe

Glad I could help for once here on this site!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 04:53 PM
Joe M.

If it is an Old Judge card I need I will buy any with marks on the back. The front of the Old Judge cards are what count.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 04-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

jcmtiger

This set is complicated so many variables and so much openness on lower grades and MK cards and so on then on the other hand so much closeness for so many other reasons....I must say this is the most complicated set I have ever tried to dance with....and I am not much of a good dancer to start with...lollll!!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:00 PM

Most OJ collectors don't care what the back looks like. They want strong images on the front. Third party grading scales are almost meaningless when it comes to N172s. They only occasionally match up with the desirability of the card to collectors.
JimB
Old 04-05-2013, 05:11 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

E93

Thanks I guess that is how I will approach this set as well....the experts know better than I do.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Agreed. From what I've learned about OJ collectors over the years is that the most important thing is the image on the front. A clear image with great contrast will always sell for premium regardless of the back. I've seen many examples of PSA 1's and SGC 10's that have amazing images and are very desirable. And I've seen many examples of higher grades that have terrible images (even images so faded you can barely see them). The lower grade with better image will sell better I think.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

Thanks guys this really clarifies things.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

Default Is there a big following for N300 Mayo's Cut Plug N300?

Last edited by Zone91; 04-05-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:03 PM
Bill T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
MK qualifiers really need to be evaluated on a card by card basis. Sometimes it is for the smallest little mark that you can't even find on the card and sometimes it is for writing all over the back. It's all over the place. I think there are collectors out there that don't want any qualifier for any reason and then there are some who don't care about them at all. It's really up to you.

Thanks

AndyH
True. And there are some "marks" that actually increase value. If you find a card with a Buck Barker stamp on the back, for example, many knowledgeable collectors will pay a (small) premium rather than discounting the value. There are also a couple old-time collectors with recognizable handwriting that made notes on the backs of cards, such as team changes, averages, etc. Those notes add to the card's value rather than subtract from it.

Bill
Old 04-05-2013, 07:18 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
I'll be sure to add the image of this stamp to my backstamp project website if I don't have it already, so I'm still happy to be alerted to the card on eBay. I've got a few P.B.White stamp images already I think.
I was fortunate enough to receive a card with a P.B. White stamp through the 2012 Net54 Secret Santa Exchange.

Andy, I will send you the full front and back images through PM, in case you don't already have scans of this particular example.

Sorry to inject a T206 reference into this thread. Please forgive me...and carry on, everyone.

Best,

Eric
Old 04-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Ja,mie B.

The thing with buying OJ's that have strong images but have been downgraded, primarily due to back damage, it is be careful and really study the card. I say this because the card could have other faults as well, such as creases or stains, etc., but since the grade has already been knocked down by the back damage, it wouldn't necessarily be reflected in the grade. So make sure you zoom in on the card and study it very carefully so there are no surprises once it arrives.

Also, I know that you are enthusiastic, but I still highly advise that you wait till REA so that you are going against knowledgeable bidders and not getting taken to the cleaners by some dealer. Cheers.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:15 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyseymour View Post
The thing with buying OJ's that have strong images but have been downgraded, primarily due to back damage, it is be careful and really study the card. I say this because the card could have other faults as well, such as creases or stains, etc., but since the grade has already been knocked down by the back damage, it wouldn't necessarily be reflected in the grade. So make sure you zoom in on the card and study it very carefully so there are no surprises once it arrives.

Also, I know that you are enthusiastic, but I still highly advise that you wait till REA so that you are going against knowledgeable bidders and not getting taken to the cleaners by some dealer. Cheers.

+1

If you keep hitting those eBay BINs you might burn yourself out. Be patient and try to get a good price here and there.

-Matt