NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-18-2019, 11:26 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
Yeah and that is why they buy them for what other chicks think. They don't come right out and say it but it really is where the motivation comes from.
What's the great Van Morrison line? All the girls walk by, dressed up for each other.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:26 AM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Kind of like how middle aged men lose their mind when they see a nice 1952 Mantle? Or in my case a 1967 Camaro SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
Oh yeah. Doubtful though they are fooling anyone because they are made with very expensive material that you can't simply fake.

Some of the lower priced bags like Gucci it is much easier to fake and unless someone is versed in them they might be fooled.

A huge part of the price is brand but not all. That said the only reason there is demand is that other women know what you are carrying. Chicks really check out other chicks gear. It is kind of funny to watch. Her shoe collection is big too and it is hilarious watching other women loose it when they see some of the hard to find Valentino's she has and other brands.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:36 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Pete- I'm not trying to justify (nor do I fully understand) that $200k sale price on that (obscure) card. But, to specifically address your comment above, people often forget Jeter is #6 on the all-time hits list (ahead of Wagner, Yaz, Mays, Lajoie, Ripken, etc). That seems to be forgotten...and the 5 rings certainly add to his legend. If there's 4 or 5 heads on the Yankee's Mt. Rushmore, he's on it.
I think that's about right...

Ahead of him would be Babe, Lou, Mickey and Joe. Not sure if Jeter would be just ahead of Yogi or behind him. Perhaps I'm drawing a blank but can't think of anyone else that would push Jeter beyond #6 on a list of all-time Yankee greats. The only pitcher that comes to mind is Whitey, but he probably goes in behind Jeter.... right?
Old 10-18-2019, 11:41 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

Ahead of him would be Babe, Lou, Mickey and Joe. Not sure if Jeter would be just ahead of Yogi or behind him. Perhaps I'm drawing a blank but can't think of anyone else that would push Jeter beyond #6 on a list of all-time Yankee greats. The only pitcher that comes to mind is Whitey, but he probably goes in behind Jeter.... right?
I would rate Berra higher. It's hard to argue he isn't one of the top 3 catchers of all time. Jeter doesn't rank anywhere near that high as a shortstop. Then again, Jeter's iconic status derives from much more than his baseball talent and stats.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-18-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:31 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudey77 View Post
Kind of like how middle aged men lose their mind when they see a nice 1952 Mantle? Or in my case a 1967 Camaro SS
Same exact thing.

Status symbols come in all different forms.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:

This is just my opinion...

Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, Joe D, Jeter (6 thru 8: Mariano, Yogi, Whitey)

Last edited by MVSNYC; 10-18-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
This is just my opinion...

Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, Joe D, Jeter (6 thru 8: Mariano, Yogi, Whitey)
Reggie Jackson?
Old 10-18-2019, 03:38 PM
David

I recently bid on (and won) a VG-EX 4 '51 Bowman Mantle in the PWCC Auction at $7400. I could have bought 27 of them for the same price the person who won the 1990's Jeter Rookie paid And dang, I had a hard time pulling the trigger on the Mantle at my price I like my card better.

Last edited by davidan; 10-18-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:52 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

The Contours knew when they sang

“First I Look At The Purse”

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Reggie Jackson?
Hi Ryan-

Reggie was great, but I wouldn’t put him ahead of anyone I listed above. Maybe if he played more than 5 seasons in pinstripes.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:49 PM
Scott Russell

Have a hard time paying more for a handbag than I would have to pay for a prize steer...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 10-18-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Hall of Stats which I think is a great site has Reggie at 145 and Derek at 128.

They rank Derek #7 as a Yankee, judging players just by their years on the Yankees.

http://www.hallofstats.com/franchise/nyy#jeterde01

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-18-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:26 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I'm glad your wife has enough purses to make a cash purchase of the Jeter card.

You're certainly entitled to your opinions.
That's Ironic. We were evacuated due to wildfires last week and my wife was packed in 3 minutes...All she took was her 10 Louis Vuitton purses.

Yes, I left the FAKE baseball cards behind.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:27 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidan View Post
I recently bid on (and won) a VG-EX 4 '51 Bowman Mantle in the PWCC Auction at $7400. I could have bought 27 of them for the same price the person who won the 1990's Jeter Rookie paid And dang, I had a hard time pulling the trigger on the Mantle at my price I like my card better.

not too shabby for a trimmed short PSA version.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:05 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:

I actually saw that card and I thought it was over-graded. It has 10/90 TB centering and the corners are too rounded to deserve a PSA 4, in my opinion.

I would be too scared to spend $7400 US with PWCC after everything that's happened, but that's just me. If you're happy spending that kind of money on his cards, despite everything BODA has been doing, then that's fine. It's your money.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:12 AM
je.sse @rnot

Congrats on the 51 Mantle pick up. The grade looks accurate to me and I highly doubt that card is trimmed. I still remember the day mine first arrived. It will look even better in hand.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:18 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
I actually saw that card and I thought it was over-graded. It has 10/90 TB centering and the corners are too rounded to deserve a PSA 4, in my opinion.

I would be too scared to spend $7400 US with PWCC after everything that's happened, but that's just me. If you're happy spending that kind of money on his cards, despite everything BODA has been doing, then that's fine. It's your money.
Man, I second that! The PWCC Mantle looks short both ways, and given PWCC's history, I would NEVER plop down that kind of cash on any of their cards. I know these cards varied a tiny bit in size, but the significant air space within the slab combined with the shady seller's practices would give me significant pause (to put it mildly).

I would start researching this card right away, to try to find some history on it. Do it before it's too late for a return. Scary stuff!
Old 10-19-2019, 11:25 AM
Peter Spaeth

I don't love the Mantle. This one, I think, is noticeably bigger. Hopefully it's just natural variance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantle51b.jpg (74.5 KB, 391 views)

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-19-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:18 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

I just had a discussion with Ted Zanidakis regarding this last week. According to him, the Mantle was printed on the uppermost left corner on its 72-card sheet. Therefore, some Mantle cards may be slightly narrower than 2 1/16, while others may be slightly wider than 2 1/16.

I doubt his card is trimmed, especially with those rounded corners, but just to be on the safe side, just measure it with one eye closed. I hope you have other 51' Bowmans in PSA cases, so that way you can make comparisons.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:56 PM
David

Thanks for all the feedback and concern (to look out for me) on the Mantle guys. Decided to do some measuring and analysis of this card and a 51 Bowman Mays I have side by side this afternoon.

I am pretty convinced the Mantle is NOT trimmed.

First of all, the cards both measure exactly under heavy magnification 3 1/4 inch wide. I will admit top to bottom the mantle seems to have slightly more air space in the case than the Mays, but under a lot of measuring (I must have done it 10 times magnified) the Mantle is maybe a 64th of an inch shorter than the Mays, and I am not even sure by that much, it's about dead on the line. They both are right at 2 1/16 tall.

Furthermore the corner wear on all 4 corners of the Mantle appear to be very natural as are the edges. With naked eye and magnification I can't see any signs of tampering and I think myself and/or PSA would have noticed something on those corners if it were off.

Regardless, and I have shared a picture of the card in hand, it's a real beauty! I am a collector, not an investor, and I put in my bid thinking no way I'd win it at a price I was comfortable with and I got it --

It's a card I have wanted to own since I was a kid, and while I can appreciate and am not naive to the fact there are a lot of assholes out there, not going to let it ruin my enjoyment of the card. It's a shame that as with a lot of things in life that all it takes is a few idiots out there to try and ruin the fun for the rest of us. So I get it.

appreciate the feedback

images

https://imgur.com/Ikkbvve

https://imgur.com/nh1213v

https://imgur.com/GE1kCUC

https://imgur.com/WrwFWEr

https://imgur.com/1PCune7

https://imgur.com/0geVWyT

Last edited by davidan; 10-19-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:35 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Everything looks fine to me. Congrats on the pickup!
Old 10-19-2019, 04:45 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

It does look like natural corner and edge wear.... albeit pretty significant wear for a "4" grade. Great close-up shots!
Old 10-19-2019, 06:24 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post

Gotta say I am not a fan of the right border.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 10-19-2019, 06:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Man, I second that! The PWCC Mantle looks short both ways, and given PWCC's history, I would NEVER plop down that kind of cash on any of their cards. I know these cards varied a tiny bit in size, but the significant air space within the slab combined with the shady seller's practices would give me significant pause (to put it mildly).

I would start researching this card right away, to try to find some history on it. Do it before it's too late for a return. Scary stuff!
The time to do the diligence is before buying. That said in this case it appears the card sold in the most recent REA and a couple of years ago on ebay.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:07 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Congrats on great looking cards!

I wonder how many of our members are still bidding with PWCC? My guess is ones that had previously would be a pretty high percentage.

Last edited by Leon; 10-22-2019 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:41 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default wow

FANTASTIC CLOSEUPS!!! Didn't click all the links but card seems to be just fine. The zoom however is OFF THE CHARTS. How do you do it? I have a couple of cards I'd like to examine like that! Maybe EVERY card :-)
Old 10-22-2019, 10:17 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Wildfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
That's Ironic. We were evacuated due to wildfires last week and my wife was packed in 3 minutes...All she took was her 10 Louis Vuitton purses.

Yes, I left the FAKE baseball cards behind.

Hi Chuck, I hope you are back at home and that there was no damage to your property. That situation has to scare the hell out of you.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:20 AM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

I wonder how many of our members are still bidding with PWCC? My guess is ones that had previously would be a pretty high percentage.

Leon,

My guess is that the majority are still participating if the right card comes up for auction. A lot of intelligent collectors on Net54. I'd expect them to see opportunities regardless of auction house or venue. Considering the card market in the last several years it is hard to deny that now is a great time to buy.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

I have not bid in any pwcc auction since June, and I expect that I will continue to do so until I see changes in their auctions and practices. Admittedly, they have produced no true “must haves” for me since June (a Brown Lenox), so it’s been easy for me to sit on my high horse on the sidelines. Generally speaking, Buyer or not, I am now highly skeptical of any high-grade and/or high-value card in a pwcc auction. I would have much more confidence in the card if offered by another AH. And, if I do again buy from pwcc, it will likely be super rare items and not high grade items and/or fairly common items.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:38 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I have not bid in any pwcc auction since June, and I expect that I will continue to do so until I see changes in their auctions and practices. Admittedly, they have produced no true “must haves” for me since June (a Brown Lenox), so it’s been easy for me to sit on my high horse on the sidelines. Generally speaking, Buyer or not, I am now highly skeptical of any high-grade and/or high-value card in a pwcc auction. I would have much more confidence in the card if offered by another AH. And, if I do again buy from pwcc, it will likely be super rare items and not high grade items and/or fairly common items.
For me, it's a "hard no" as well. Blowout just keeps exposing PWCC with card after card that's been altered/resubmitted with no perceptible end in sight. So I'm neither willing to take that chance, nor choose to support a company that engages in deceit.

The comment below was taken from the Better Business Bureau website, and was made back on Feb. 28 of this year. I believe that's well before the "scandal" was publicized, so this is pretty darned insightful (IMHO)...

Paul O

★★★★★
★★★★★
02/28/2019

Shady sportscard consignment service that operates as a quasi investment firm. Without formal training or education this group runs several scams that takes advantage of hobbyist. When their not asking for customers to invest in their straw built company, They’re using capital received from selling customer consignments to fund their illegal lending program to fund other customers, collecting fees and interest without proper government regulated licenses or permits. A full time “robbing Peter to pay Paul” operation. They have created meaningless standards and scales which confuse collectors into paying premiums over market value, trying to force their way into the grading market with their “eye appeal scale” which has no value and is completely subjective. By inflating prices in this way—with smoke and mirrors—they continue to expand and profit at the expense of the collector.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:00 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
FANTASTIC CLOSEUPS!!! Didn't click all the links but card seems to be just fine. The zoom however is OFF THE CHARTS. How do you do it? I have a couple of cards I'd like to examine like that! Maybe EVERY card :-)
You guys will probably laugh but those closeups are simply the output of the iPhone X phone with some good lighting! It's amazing what level of detail you get with these phone cameras these days.

DA
Old 10-25-2019, 07:39 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I honestly don't know how anyone can buy a really high end, graded pre war card, and not have some doubts. It is too bad that greed has made it this way. I am all for making profit and capitalism and all of that. But the fraud is just wrong. Still hoping whomever is guilty gets their just dues.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:59 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback and concern (to look out for me) on the Mantle guys. Decided to do some measuring and analysis of this card and a 51 Bowman Mays I have side by side this afternoon.

I am pretty convinced the Mantle is NOT trimmed.

First of all, the cards both measure exactly under heavy magnification 3 1/4 inch wide. I will admit top to bottom the mantle seems to have slightly more air space in the case than the Mays, but under a lot of measuring (I must have done it 10 times magnified) the Mantle is maybe a 64th of an inch shorter than the Mays, and I am not even sure by that much, it's about dead on the line. They both are right at 2 1/16 tall.

Furthermore the corner wear on all 4 corners of the Mantle appear to be very natural as are the edges. With naked eye and magnification I can't see any signs of tampering and I think myself and/or PSA would have noticed something on those corners if it were off.

Regardless, and I have shared a picture of the card in hand, it's a real beauty! I am a collector, not an investor, and I put in my bid thinking no way I'd win it at a price I was comfortable with and I got it --

It's a card I have wanted to own since I was a kid, and while I can appreciate and am not naive to the fact there are a lot of assholes out there, not going to let it ruin my enjoyment of the card. It's a shame that as with a lot of things in life that all it takes is a few idiots out there to try and ruin the fun for the rest of us. So I get it.

appreciate the feedback

images

https://imgur.com/Ikkbvve

https://imgur.com/nh1213v

https://imgur.com/GE1kCUC

https://imgur.com/WrwFWEr

https://imgur.com/1PCune7

https://imgur.com/0geVWyT
good for you... and you bought it from Brent Mastro, the biggest crook the baseball card hobby has ever seen. I would rather wipe my ass with a brillo pad. Enjoy it.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:53 PM
Bob Davies

Way to rain on his parade. Wow. Where is that "Respect" thread now?

What happened to "Enjoy what you buy"?