NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 11-12-2013, 08:47 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Default Where were YOU when JFK bought it?

Let's try to keep it historical and avoid the politics, kapish?
As for me I was 12yo in 7th grade. One class the teacher told us the prez had been shot, the next class the principal announced his death. We were all sent home and had no school for the rest of the week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jfk.jpg (10.6 KB, 203 views)
Old 11-13-2013, 07:33 AM

Default ditto

Similar story with me. Rode the bus home from school and went in and woke up my sleeping mom. Told her the President was dead.

She thought I had heard wrong and that Jackie K. was the one who was dead. But she investigated and found out it was indeed the President.

I don't really remember any details after that though. Just memories of waking up my mom with the bad news.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:29 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I was 2 so was probably tooling around in Houston peeing on myself. Give me about 30 more years and it will probably be the same thing again, only probably not Houston.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

I was born 11 years after he was shot.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Todd Schultz

When JFK was killed, I was not yet in Kindergarten and would have been home. I do distinctly recall that cartoons were not on TV that Saturday on any of the few channels then available, and that all of those channels seemed to be showing the same thing. I can still picture where the TV was in the living room (against North wall)and what it looked like, a huge freakin' console like this (taken off google images, sans DVD/VHS recorder obviously):
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 11-14-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:11 AM
Jeff

Most likely sitting on the living room floor playing with my Tonka trucks.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 11-14-2013, 07:51 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Beneath our high school football stadium after a rain shortened practice looking madly for Gatorade that would not be invented for 3 years.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:07 AM
David Pierson
Banned

With the Vassar girl, Frank? Oh wait, that would have been a few years later, at the Holiday Inn. Dave
Old 11-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Barry Sloate

I was in the 6th grade, but was home from school that day with a cold. So I did not experience my classmates hearing about it together and being sent home.

I put the TV on after lunch and saw there was a bulletin. The first thing I heard was that Governor Connally was shot. Of course I never heard of him and had no idea who he was. Then a moment later I heard the news that Kennedy was shot. I remember yelling to my mother, who was downstairs, to turn on the TV. The rest of that weekend was a blur. I do however vividly remember when Lee Harvey Oswald was shot.

That's stuff you never forget.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:03 PM
Bob Lemke

I was in 6th grade. I was on Safety Patrol duty that noon hour and so was not in classroom when the principal made the announcement over the P.A.

I walked into a very quiet classroom and, noticing that a couple of the girls were crying, asked in a flippant tone, "Who died?"

We were all then hustled into church for a rosary, but I don't recall getting to go home early.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 11-15-2013, 09:49 PM
FredYoung

I was 23 yrs old & got drafted into the Army Nov 20 1963. I was in my 2nd day of boot camp @ Ft Jackson SC. We were in a meeting room for some kind of orientation when a Capt came into the room & announced to all what had happened.

That weekend I had cleanup duty in the Hdqters Office so got to see alot of it unfold on TV. The day of the funeral there were special formations to attend & limited training.

Will never forget those 1st few days of service!
Old 11-18-2013, 07:08 AM

Default 3 Channels

Morning,

I was 7 and still remember it, was sent home from school and I remember my Dad got home from work shortly after (He was sent home). I remember how angry he was..............years later I figured out why that was, it wasn't of course just because the President had been killed, he was his Brother in a sense, my Dad fought in WWII and Korea, and to him Kennedy was part of a as they say, a Band of Brothers although of course they never met....he was still part of his select group with a shared experience. I also remember how happy and elated he was when Oswald got smoked!!!

For three days we did nothing but watch TV, all 3 channels, that's all there was.

Neil
Old 11-19-2013, 05:39 PM
Ray Novak

Default I was a sixth grader ...

at St. Susanna's Roman Catholic Elementary in Harvey, Illinois. A great deal was made of the fact that JFK was the first Roman Catholic president in the country's history.

The principal, Sister Veronica, came into the room, whispered something into the ear of Miss Hanchar (the only teacher in the building that wasn't a nun) then turned to us and told us the president had been shot, but it wasn't known if he had died. The entire student population was taken to the church, and about a half hour later, the rosary was interrupted by the church pastor who had started the Catholic Prayer for the Dead. As soon as I heard the words, "Eternal rest grant unto him, oh Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him," I knew-we all knew-the president was gone. A lasting, indelible memory, caught in the mind of an 11-year-old.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:17 PM
Dan Marke1

I was a few months away from turning 5 in a rural town in Western PA. I recall being outside playing and a girl across the street came up and told me that the president had been shot. I went inside and my mother was already watching the TV coverage. For the next 3 days that was all that was on TV. Without question one of the most striking memories of my childhood.

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 11-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

It was another long day at Del Rosa Elementary, San Bernardino. I had transferred in a few weeks before and did not know too many of the kids. for some reason I cannot remember our teacher's name although we all liked him. He had a habit of losing his toupe and making us all laugh.

But that morning, a messenger came in with his clipboard, and we were informed the President had been shot in Dallas. That was all we were told. I remember the girl in font of me gasping in shock, covering her mouth. I was numb. When the messenger came back a little over an hour later, I think we all knew. A few people started crying, and our teacher sat down and said it would be all right if we wanted to pray.

A few days later, when Oswald was shot, all I could think is what was wrong with this country, where people could just indiscriminately shoot people, nobody was trying to stop these things from happening, it made no sense to me. Out of the mouth of babes.....
...whatever I want
Old 11-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Richard Simon

I was in my college hallway when a female student came running down the hallway screaming as loud as she could: "every President that has been elected in a zero year has died in office." She screamed this over and over. We all looked at her like she was crazy then walked into our classrooms. Someone (don't remember who, student? prof?) then told us what happened but our professor would not dismiss us, though every other class was dismissed.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 11-28-2013, 08:39 AM
Eric Shaeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
our professor would not dismiss us, though every other class was dismissed.
Did the prof just continue on with class?!?!
Old 11-29-2013, 03:17 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ease View Post
Did the prof just continue on with class?!?!
Yes he did, despite the major eruption in the hallway.
What a jerk he was, long before the assassination we all thought he was an ass. Unprepared, hard to understand, nasty, ugh.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow