NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 09-10-2015, 03:35 PM
Jeremy W.

Default NY Mets discussion

Hello- I'm a diehard Mets & I'm just wondering if there are any other fans out there that want to discuss the future of the Mets in 2015. Jeremy
Old 09-10-2015, 05:52 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Hey Jeremy,

I'm a big Mets fan as well. The last series was phenomenal - just a lot of fun to watch.

I don't know about you, but it seems like there are a lot more Mets fans coming out of the woodwork now that they're winning. It's kind of nice to see some Mets shirts now - used to be all Yankees around here.

I'm super impressed by the overall fan-friendly nature of the team as well. My son got to play on Citi Field in July as part of the Curtis Granderson camp. He got to take batting practice with him as well. Anyhow, this year has been a blast with them playing so well.

One of my favorite photos as well:

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 09-10-2015, 06:24 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBrown View Post
Hey Jeremy,

I'm a big Mets fan as well. The last series was phenomenal - just a lot of fun to watch.

I don't know about you, but it seems like there are a lot more Mets fans coming out of the woodwork now that they're winning. It's kind of nice to see some Mets shirts now - used to be all Yankees around here.

I'm super impressed by the overall fan-friendly nature of the team as well. My son got to play on Citi Field in July as part of the Curtis Granderson camp. He got to take batting practice with him as well. Anyhow, this year has been a blast with them playing so well.

One of my favorite photos as well:

The fans coming out and acting like they're real fans and been supporting the team forever are just bandwagon fans. Probably why Yankee stadium is almost empty, they just changed their hats to the mets. Even though I doubt both teams make it past the first round.

But good for you guys winning the NL East and stuff. Good luck
Old 09-10-2015, 06:42 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
The fans coming out and acting like they're real fans and been supporting the team forever are just bandwagon fans. Probably why Yankee stadium is almost empty, they just changed their hats to the mets. Even though I doubt both teams make it past the first round.

But good for you guys winning the NL East and stuff. Good luck
That's probably true - it's just nice to not have my co-workers busting my chops everyday.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:10 PM

I just finished watching the Met/Brave game of 9/10.There were 35,000 fans who showed up dressed as empty seats, 15,000 were Met fans and 9 Brave fans. I've been a Met fan since 1962 opening day.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:55 AM
Marty

Been a really fun year - when we were rolling out Mayberry and Campbell in the 4 and 5 spots in the lineup back in mid-July, I never would have dreamed we would be where we are now. Went from a lineup with 4-5 almost sure outs every night to a lineup a few nights ago where Flores was hitting 8th - quite a swing!

Go Mets!
Old 09-11-2015, 12:00 PM
Eric Perry

Dear Mets fans,

Congratulations on a great year thus far. Best wishes for a successful post-season.

Signed,

A Phillies fan
Old 09-11-2015, 04:07 PM
Jeremy W.

I agree with most everything said so far. It's great being able to watch the younger players come along. I'm hoping their pitching will be able to keep them from repeating that horrible end of the '07 season. Even if they somehow don't make the playoffs this season, I'm enjoying each game this month as if it were the playoffs. Let's Go Mets.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:23 PM
Jeremy W.

Shaun- I forgot to give kudos to the great photos! Grandy is coming around. I love him in the lead-off spot. The walks are invaluable.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:02 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Whatever happens in the post season is pure gravy, its been a fun year so far. Cespedes will not win the MVP, but no player has been more valuable to their team than him.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:54 AM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyW View Post
Shaun- I forgot to give kudos to the great photos! Grandy is coming around. I love him in the lead-off spot. The walks are invaluable.
Thanks!

Yeah - he's been quietly having a solid year. He's just a few walks away from his career high, and he might hit 100 runs scored for the year. His average is right around his career mark and it's the highest it has been since 2011. He's also hitting more doubles than he has in years. Lastly, he's making pitchers throw the ball - he sees the most pitches of anyone on the team, game in and game out. 30 pitches last night. He's a great clubhouse guy as well, which is invaluable.

Cespedes has been incredible. He seems to really be having fun. There's no doubt he's going to want a big contract after this year - but with the year he's having - he deserves it.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:59 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Curtis Granderson is one of the truly good guys in Baseball - I'm glad he is there to enjoy everything.

I was very amused yesterday, while suffering through another ugly Braves' game, the announcers were commenting that the Mets don't have any sympathy whatsoever for the current Braves'.

What goes around comes around - but we'll be back...in the meantime....

Go Mets!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-13-2015, 07:29 PM
Bill Gregory

Mets have a young catcher named Travis D'Arnaud that I am very high on. You guys know about him, but I don't think he's become well known across the Majors yet. He's about to. The guy can flat hit. .296 with 11 HR and 38 RBI in under 190 ABs. I don't need to tell you guys how hot that would be across a whole season. That's really sexy production from the catcher position.

I think you guys are a team very much on the rise. I see a World Series appearance within the next two years. If your rotation can stay healthy, a 5 man of Harvey, Syndergaard, Matz, DeGrom and Wheeler...../shudder. No thank you. I wouldn't want to face them.

Seeing as how this is a baseball card forum, I thought I'd share a couple of my Mets rookie autos. I apologize, these are old pictures. I need to re-scan them with better color settings, and without the one touches.

And one more Wheeler. I hope this guy rebounds from TJ. I am so high on this young man.

Most teams are happy to have one staff ace if they can get them. The Mets truly have a five man rotation where any of them could be a staff ace-type pitcher. Harvey already is. The rest are headed that way. With Cespedes now a Met, it's frightening how good your team could be. The 80s are back in New York.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:18 PM
Mike C@.v3

I'm happy the Mets are where they are at right now...and I'd love to see them do some damage in the playoffs. Pitching wins and they definitely have it. There is a reason the Giants have won a few WS recently. They are very gritty on offense and their pitching gets the job done...the Mets share this trait.

Fantasy baseball has really given me an opportunity to pay attention to players and teams I otherwise wouldn't have as much interest in. I've had Granderson and D'arnaud on my team for over half the year and they have been awesome. I'm really impressed with what Granderson's been able to do. He walks like a madman and he's productive across the board...runs, hrs, doubles, a few sb, just very productive. What he's been able to do this year is that much more impressive because he seemed to be on a decline in recent years. His power didn't seem to fade, but he wasn't productive enough to be that relevant.

Congrats to all the Met's fans and I truly do hope they make some noise in the playoffs!

Shaun...great pictures and what an awesome experience for you and your son! Thanks for sharing
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48

Last edited by freakhappy; 09-13-2015 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:12 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
I'm really impressed with what Granderson's been able to do. He walks like a madman and he's productive across the board...runs, hrs, doubles, a few sb, just very productive.
He's had a nice bounce back year, and I certainly like him as a person. I had him on my team for a while, too. But I wouldn't say he "walks like a madman." He draws a fair share, but Joey Votto "walks like a madman." Granderson's career high in walks in a season is 85. He'll break that this year, as he's at 83. That's a good clip. But...

Joey Votto has walked 127 times this year. He walked 135 times in 2013, 94 in 2012, and 110 in 2011. All led the league. He walked 47 times in an injury-shortened 2014 where he only played 62 games. At that pace, he'd have walked 122 times.

That is walking like a madman. Barry Bonds walked like a mad man. Ted Williams walked like a madman. Granderson walks like a slightly-deranged man.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:45 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
He's had a nice bounce back year, and I certainly like him as a person. I had him on my team for a while, too. But I wouldn't say he "walks like a madman." He draws a fair share, but Joey Votto "walks like a madman." Granderson's career high in walks in a season is 85. He'll break that this year, as he's at 83. That's a good clip. But...

Joey Votto has walked 127 times this year. He walked 135 times in 2013, 94 in 2012, and 110 in 2011. All led the league. He walked 47 times in an injury-shortened 2014 where he only played 62 games. At that pace, he'd have walked 122 times.

That is walking like a madman. Barry Bonds walked like a mad man. Ted Williams walked like a madman. Granderson walks like a slightly-deranged man.

You're right...votto is a walk machine, but granderson is second in walks in the majors in the last 30 days. Just loving what he's doing. The Mets are one of the teams I'm rooting hard for to make it to the WS.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 09-15-2015, 05:16 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Mike, thanks!

Granderson has been quietly getting it done this year. I think he finally recognized the need to make a change in his hitting game, as he no longer had the short porch like he did with the Yanks. His #s are starting to look more like they were when he was with the Tigers. More walks, more doubles, more runs. He sees a ridiculous # of pitches each game - that alone makes a big impact. As I said earlier, too, is that he's a great clubhouse and community guy. When you have a genuinely positive player in the locker room - that's infectious - and it impacts performance on the field.

He still has some room to go - I'd like to see him hitting in the .280 range, and I'd like to see him perform better against lefties - but he's making great strides.

Here's hoping for another win tonight!

Old 09-15-2015, 07:03 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Huge met fan here! This season has been great, we had the pitching and about time we got that hitter we needed. Playoffs will be interesting with our rotation. I dont like tc at all, god i hope he retires.

Hope we keep cesp next year.

Lgm
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:36 PM
Richard Simon

My daughter entered the lottery with the 7 Line and got four tickets to Game 1 of the NLDS at Citifield. I will be there!!
Before the season starts, my son and I each pick an unexpected Mets guy to have a good strong year.
This year I picked Grandy and my son picks a pitcher who breaks his arm twice .
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 09-17-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:02 PM
Jeremy W.

It's official. Back in the postseason!
Old 09-29-2015, 04:27 PM
Jeremy W.

Forgot to mention that I like the Mets odds against LA.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:46 PM
Rich Nelson

Those photos are to f**king cool. Wish l could get some like that with my grandson!
Old 10-12-2015, 05:01 PM
Jeremy W.

I'm counting on Harvey to take care of business tonight.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:30 PM
Jeremy W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyW View Post
I'm counting on Harvey to take care of business tonight.
Sorry, had to quote myself. Happy Harvey Day.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:49 PM

Say Goodnight, Jeremy !

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 11-02-2015, 03:49 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

You can't win when your closer blows saves.

Congrats to the Royals fans.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:11 AM
Mike

Cespedes, Murphy, Familia along with Errors never showed up for the World
Series. Totally played above there heads against tha Dodgers and Cubs, then came back down to earth to the Pre trade levels in the World Series.

Last edited by brookdodger55; 11-02-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
You can't win when your closer blows saves.

Congrats to the Royals fans.
Don't blame the closer- he got the ground-balls needed- just not the defense.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:23 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Don't blame the closer- he got the ground-balls needed- just not the defense.
I wasn't saying it was all his fault, but he did blow 3 saves, can't win that way.

I hope now we can stop all the re-sign Murphy stuff, Gary Cohen took a lot of heat when he called Murphy a net negative player, but he was 100% right.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:32 AM
Todd Schultz

The closer blew game 1 and Collins never made best use of him thereafter. He should have been in there for a six-out save in Game 4 and for the 9th in Game 5 (or at least after the lead-off walk). Pitching the 9th in the Game 3 blowout didn't make a lot of sense either.

The series was a total team defeat for the Mets, with blame all around. Still, an entertaining series and they played KC close or better in four of the five games.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 11-02-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:41 AM
qu@n nguy3n

kc had pixie dust up their butts like the giants last year....their stat were unreal in the later innings. realistcally should've been eliminated by the astros. mets were the worst team to come out of the nl, total crapshoot as usual in the playoffs. all dodgers/cubs fan are effing daniel murphy today.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:36 PM
Jeremy W.

Congrats to the Royals & their fans. It seems like they just wouldn't be denied. Both teams have a bright future. Hopefully the Mets make a couple smart moves & get back into the action next October.