NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-04-2017, 10:59 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Default Need Help On Drunk Mantle With F-You Inscription

I wanted to get some help with this one. I am better than 75% confident the signature is a Mantle, albeit a rather sloppy likely drunk version. But the only two balls I have seen with this particular word in the inscription had very different letter formation especially with the "F". But I am not about to make a determination based on two examples that may have been signed very close in time to one another. This is definitely the same pen and seems to have been written contemporaneously. But that doesn't mean he wrote it.

So I would like to get opinions on both the signature AND the inscription.

Tom C
Old 03-04-2017, 11:11 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Take my opinion for what it's worth(not much on mantle) but I'd say it's off. Some looks exact and some isn't close.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:05 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Understood. You can never be 100% sure with a drunk Mantle (if that's what this is). I think that the flow is pretty good abd the places where it seems to stumble don't seem like it was done to try to slow down and fake a signature. To me it just seems like (I hope anyway) a drunk Mantle signature. The inscription (if legit) would also be more likely to have been put there by an inebriated Mantle.

One other thing I think it has in its favor is the placement of the signature. He is usually pretty good at squaring up his signature on the sweet spot. This one is lower, which would make sense if the "F-You" was already there and he wrote his signature under it. Then again, someone else could have written the "F-You" there and he could have signed under it.

Or for all I know it may not even be his signature.

Tom C
Old 03-05-2017, 11:03 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Tom, I agree with you on the f. All the balls I have seen with fuck on it the f is turned around. I would call the ball bad just for that reason.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:03 AM
Cha.rles He.nry

I agree with you guys. Here's a flat with the other type "F"
img246.jpg
Old 03-07-2017, 01:38 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

But here's a ball with "my" type of F...as well as a perfect match on the ck style...

Tom C

Last edited by btcarfagno; 03-07-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:23 PM

Even on that one the bottom of the F tails backwards. The one in the first pic is a straight vertical line.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:46 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Even on that one the bottom of the F tails backwards. The one in the first pic is a straight vertical line.
Correct, but the pen stroke is exactly the same starting above the next letter looping and going down, then a separate stroke to finish. That is not a normal pen stroke for a capital letter F. Also that "uck" is "sucker" and the "ck in..well...that other word...they are pretty much exact matches to the handwriting in my ball. Even the "You" is pretty much an exact match from mine to the slabbed F-U example above.

I don't think we can dismiss the entire ball due to the capital F and a limited number of exemplars when there is an exemplar that shows it to be valid.

Unless the c-sucker ball is a fake and mine is done by the same forger. That is certainly possible. But to me, the c-sucker ball and mine were written in the same hand. Either both are Mantle or both were done by the same forger.

And I am not trying to be difficult here. I found the c-sucker example after I had researched it and finding it convinced me that it could very well be genuine. If the c-sucker ball is genuine anyway.

Tom C

Last edited by btcarfagno; 03-07-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:23 AM
Steve Zarelli

The "Have a ball..." example is a certain fake. The work of a known forger.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:30 AM
Jos.eph Dw.ek

I believe it is a forgery. I have seen a lot of these around apparently from the same forger.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:20 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Ok then that would make sense that mine would be as well. It is definitely done by the same person.

Oh well.

Tom C