NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-05-2005, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Default Buy the Card Not The Holder

Posted By: Lee Behrens

There is finally a graded card auction where the price reflected the actually card and not the grade applied.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5203205229&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT

The winner and 3 of the 4 bidders (me included) are board contributors, not sure what that says for the whole thing. I thought it was a nice card for around $30 but the $60 plus a normal 60 commands.

The guy had quite a few OCs that got 60s, the rest of the card must have been flawless.

Lee

Old 06-05-2005, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Holy missing boarders Batman. How does a card like that grade so high? The corners and everything may be nice, but when you are missing a boarder, that's a very serious flaw.

Jay

I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 06-06-2005, 12:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Old 06-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Administrator

I was just looking thru realized prices for T206 SGC and PSA cards and looked at alot of the MR. X collection cards, I would have to say In My Own Opinion that if 5% of those cards were graded properly that is it.

Those cards are a prime example of buying the holder and not the card. For the defenders of PSA please give some good defense other then they commend more money because the buyers or obviously blind to grading.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31718&item=5198380980&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31718&item=5201942605&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31718&item=5201933889&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Some of you on the board think we are beating a dead horse but there is continued examples of this PSA garbage all the time and not isolated incidents and with the number of newbies that arrive on this board it is IMHO best to keep them informed.

BY the way the thread was started about an SGC card so this is not total PSA slamming.

Lee

Old 06-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

The original post was about a misgraded SGC card. How did the thread take this swerve?

Old 06-06-2005, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

Am I missing something here? Where does it say MR. X on the PSA labeling or holder?

I realize that the seller is respected and reputable therefore we accept that these are MR. X previously owned cards (whoopy).

To advertise the cards as MR. X without any indication of it being owned by MR. X on the label seems a bit odd. Again, not that it really mattered who previously owned the card.

Personally, I could care less who owned a card in the past. I guess that there is some "collecting value" in cards that were marked by known early hobbyist that paved the way for the rest of us, Buck Barker markings on N172 cards come to mind.

Old 06-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cn

Looks like Mr. X got preferential treatment from PSA. I guess if you spend enough they will grade accordingly.

Old 06-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach

Look at his Cobb red port...psa 3 with rounded corners and paper loss on front.

Old 06-06-2005, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

I wonder what would prevent anyone from offering cards as "from the Mr.X collection", since that description appears to be sufficiently generic to apply to everyone.

Who sells the REAL Mr.X cards?

Old 06-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Administrator

The original post is titled "Buy the Card No The Holder", I pointed out this auction because it is one of the rare occasion where the price reflected the card not the holder. This may be preaching to the choir but to me it is obsurd how people buy PSA cards blindly.

Old 06-06-2005, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

I think this is an interesting question. Both companies screw up (I know who you would argue screws up more, but that's not for me to argue here). But why is it that PSA "misgrades" seem to still sell close to the price level of the label, while SGC "misgrades" seem to sell at the price level of the true grade?

Old 06-06-2005, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

First, I dont think you have enough empirical evidence/data to make that statement. This is one card, it happens to be graded by sgc. That doesnt mean that all misgraded overgraded cards by sgc will sell based on the cards value and not the value of the slab.

That said, assuming the truth of your stmt, I can offer you the most likely explanation:

The psa registry - people blindly pay for the psa number b/c their average grade will rise even if the card itself is a POS.

I think, as a general rule, collectors who are not interested in the registry or how their cards compare to everyone else will look at cards graded by companies other than psa and tend to focus on the card and not the number. Bottom line is you dont have the set registry followers bidding on an overgraded sgc card b/c it does nothing for them.

Old 06-06-2005, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick

so basically both companies make mistakes...but one sells higher than the other one.

Old 06-06-2005, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Only the highest grades from PSa will command significantly better prices, soley beucase of the set registry factor. Midgrade, their is a neglible, if any difference between PSA and SGC.

Jay

I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 06-06-2005, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

I think this grade of 2 is pretty harsh when compared to many other 3's. Granted, there is a crease, but it is confined to the corner. The rest of the card looks a lot better.

I don't see any Mr. X preference here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5203610609&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Old 06-06-2005, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

Hasn't this horse been beat to death a long time ago?