NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Default HOF Rookie collection

Posted By: Bob Breen

I've recently embarked on a new project
with my cousin in which we are trying to collect rookie cards of
everyone in the Hall of Fame. I know we most likely won't be able to
ever complete this set, but we are going to try to get as many as we
can. Is anyone else working on a project like this? Can anyone help
us out via trading? So far we have: Catfish Hunter, Cal Ripekn Jr., Tony Gwynn, Wade Boggs, Ozzie Smith, Ryne Sandberg,Gary Carter, Carlton Fisk, Frank Robinson, and Rickey Henderson.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby Binder

I hope you have very deep pockets... Hal was probably the closest to doing it and sold it all off last year I believe.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Administrator

well I'm not too concerned about condition or grading so I can probably find some for fairly cheap

Old 02-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

happy.gif

Old 02-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

I've been working on it for over five years now and still a long way to go.

Good Luck!!!

Old 02-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Bob - the cards get significantly more expensive and difficult to find the further you go back - many HOF rookie cards will cost in the thousands. Enjoy the hunt!

My Trade/Sale Page

Old 02-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Just getting one card -- any card -- of each Hall of Famer is essentially impossible. There is one known card of Frank Selee. There are one and a half known cards of Pete Hill. There are probably 5 or 10 of Biz Mackey.

Getting the rookie cards is simply impossible. Hugh Jennings and John McGraw will probably run you 100K each. Babe Ruth's first major league card, even if torn in half and taped back together, will probably run you over 10K. And if you want his minor league card, you are again in the over 100K category.

I would recommend that you start with Post-War Hall of Famers. There, the rookie cards are obtainable. But even then, Mantle and Eddie Mathews and Satchel Paige will cost you thousands each, even in horrible shape.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Administrator

I think that a good idea, I'll start with rookies from the '80's, then go back to the '70's, then the '60's and so on. I won't be getting to the really old ones for a long time and cards for Ruth, Cobb, and Wagner and other really old timers and negro leaguers I will likely never get unless I land some really high paying job. If I don't get every HOFer thats ok, its still going to be fun to get some of them. I'm in it for the fun of collecting, not the stresses of trying to complete an outlandish set.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Trying to get any card of each hof'er would be a tad bit easier though still very difficult. The hunt is a lot of what collecting is about anyway, imo. The journey might be more rewarding than the finish. Good luck, happy collecting ...and last but not least welcome to our forum..best regards

Old 02-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Navarro

Hi Bob,

Good luck in your pursuit. I don't know if you are an autograph fan as well, but I can tell you something that makes it a lot more fun to me, is trying to get a collection of HOF signed rookie cards. I just started last April and have gotten a pretty good start here:

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=651262

It's a challenge and adds a degree of difficulty to it. For instance, a basic 63 Stargell or 65 Hunter can be found really easy, but it's pretty tough finding autographed ones. If you are interested in going this route, I would concentrate heavily on getting some of the older guys (while they are still around) that are great signers at first, such as Duke Snider, Yogi Berra, Stan Musial, Whitey Ford, Monte Irvin, etc. Plus, if you are fine with G-VG cards, they look great signed and are relatively affordable compared to their higher graded counterparts.

Have fun with your collection, the pursuit is most of the fun!

Mike

Old 02-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank

yeah, but is a postcard really a card? LOL.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Yes, a post card is a ball card if it depicts ball...

Or, maybe all baseball cards must be 2 1/2" x 3 1/2", so postcards aren't ball cards, and neither are T206s nor E145 Cracker Jacks. For me, they're all ball cards.

As for collecting HOFers, definition of what you're collecting would help you. If you're after rookie cards, would that be their first card (including a minor league card) or their first major league card? Maybe just go for 20th century major league PLAYERS. Then if you get there, you can spread over to the 19th century, but be willing to grab up an affordable and opportune 19th century card. You solve your Selee problem, he's in as a manager. When you clear off your immediate list 19th century players, negro league players, managers, owners, umpires... now you've got something that is doable, especially if you can settle for a card contemporary from their playing days instead of the 'rookie' card, whatever that is.

This approach gives you an attainable goal that you can add to once you attain it, or when you get close. An initial goal that is too lofty may cause frustration and burnout. I wish you well with it.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

I am Bob's cousin and yea I agree it is a very hard task. I am still working on finishing up the top 50 home run leaders of all time collection that I have been working on for three years now. I basicly just need a Jimmie Foxx card and a Babe Ruth.

Oh and as for the Mcgraw I got a T206 Mcgraw, Its not in too good condition, but its still a Mcgraw.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

"Oh and as for the Mcgraw I got a T206 Mcgraw,..."

You are aware that the T206 is not his rookie card, right?

Old 02-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

A HOF Rookie collection is not for the financially sqeemish.
Where is Hal these days ? Is he still collecting ?

Old 02-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Administrator

I believe it is this one..

[linked image]

and does Preece own it?

Old 02-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

thanks Leon, and I do like autographs. In fact, I'm trying to complete a HOF single signed baseball collection. Right now I'm working on the living HOFers. This is going to be my lifelong project, one I'll always be working on.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Administrator

sorry about that anonymous post earlier, I didn't realize I had to enter my name for each post. That is a nice McGraw rookie. Also you have an incredible collection thenavarro, maybe someday my collection will look like that, minus the autos.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

I bought a N167 rookie card last year and I am still having Macaroni and Cheese for dinner every night of the week just so I can pay for it. It's worth it!!!

Old 02-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Bob:

Lots of good advice from the board members, as usual. I have actually expanded my efforts to include players, managers, executives, pioneers, negro leaguers, umpires, broadcasters and journalists. Here is a link to my website where you can view the earliest "cards" for each HOF'er that I have been able to come up with thus far:

http://bbhofrc.com/

Old 02-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

Like Leon said, its all about the quest not the end result. Just pick out a card and begin your hunt, it will be rewarding.

Marty
Old 02-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Administrator

That's very interesting Phil, I'm just focusing on players and managers, I'm not concerning myself with all the writers and broadcasters etc. They don't have rookie cards per say, and would be very difficult to obtain. It is all in the hunt, the joy of collecting is what it is all about.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

Old 02-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: nbrazil

I quit my HOF rookie collection pursuit last year. Money was the biggest issue. Another is the extreme difficulty in determining rookie card designations for many pre war HOF'ers. Lastly, i found that a lot of the issues, especially in pre war, were ugly.

I decided to instead collect rookie cards of post war players...and then my favorite card for each pre war HOFer. So, instead of getting Ruth's 100K rookie, which is aesthetically ugly in my opinion, i used his 1948 Leaf card.

Good luck with the pursuit. When I was doing, it was fun!

Old 02-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob C

Bob,
Ignoring the obvious difficuluy of your quest, do not forget the WWII girls like Pepper Martin and others that were admitted to the HOF and propogated cards of which I have several.
I have been on several quests like yours and wish you the best!
Regards,
Bob

Old 02-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob B.

thanks nbrazil, I might consider taking your route and just try and collect any card of each HOFer. In fact that is what I'll do for pre war players, I'll simply collect a card of them, not their rookie, and for players like Ruth I'll do the same, it will be much cheaper and alot more in the realm of possibility. Thanks for the heads up Bob C. I'd been forgetting about them. I think I'll try to get their cards later, once I've got this set well underway.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Administrator

I think collecting any card of them during their playing days is a good way to go.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Administrator

your right Bobby, I think I'll take your advice

Old 02-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill

That's the way I'm going. Link http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e156/bikerider60/HOF%20COLLECTION/

I have not picked up a card in 6 months or so. Since my main hobby, the Koi Pond needed rebuilding....Hobbies are fun ,but addictive

Old 02-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Administrator

impressive collection Bill. I especially like the Wagner and Cobb.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Bill, if you want to help fund your koi pond by selling off your Bob Lemon, let me know. I've got lots of other Lemons I could trade you (cards, not citrus fruit).

Paul

Old 02-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: nbrazil

"I think collecting any card of them during their playing days is a good way to go. "

I thought about doing that bobby..and will do so for the most part. But, I really do like that 48 Leaf Ruth!

Old 02-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt Miller

Good Luck on the set. I am building the Post War HOF'ers right now. I am going to for a high grade set (PSA 8 or better), so this will be a long term venture for me. Patience is the key to this set. Your going to spend some dollars to acquire some of these cards, regardless of the condition. Good Luck

Here is the link to my set: http://www.psacard.com/SetRegistry/publishedset.aspx?s=43483&ac=1

Old 02-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Administrator

nbrazil,

You can't go wrong with any of Ruth's 32 Goudey cards.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Try a card of every Hall of Fame player period, not rookie.

The Rookie route will make your little collection of a couple hundred cards cost more than your house (and your dads house) is worth and you will never complete you goal, ever! Some HOFers are known with only 1 card.

You can get vintage cards of players like Ruth (1932 Sanella) for under $50.

IMO try a card of every player in the HOF from their playing days.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Hall

I have a BVG 6 Reggie Jackson, a PSA 5 or 6? Johnny Bench Rookie

I collect Mickey Mantle if you have any for trade.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: NickM

And even then, it will be extremely expensive for many of the 19th century guys.

Exhibits, strip cards, and large-size premiums (Butterfinger, National Chicle, Goudey Fine Pen and Wide Pen, etc.) will provide the lowest cost options for most players of the 1920s and 1930s, but lower-condition cards from major sets may work fine for you too.

If you're willing to stray from cards issued during their careers, 1940 Play Ball has attractive cards of a lot of guys who retired before then.

In the 1900s and 1910s, Sweet Caporal P2 pins provide an affordable alternative to beat-up tobacco or caramel cards.

If you decide at some point to just fill in the blanks with a card of each HOFer, regardless of whether it was issued during their career, the 1950 Callahan and 1960 and 1961-62 Fleer sets are the ones with the widest collector acceptance. Artvues and other HOF plaque postcards aren't very valuable, but are better than nothing.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: NickM

Sorry about that.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Administrator

decided to do this: Get rookies of all HOFers whose rookie card is featured in a set from 1933-present and for pre 1933 rookies, I'll just get any card. Today I picked up a 1933 Goudey #189 Joe Cronin which I am counting towards my collection

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Old 02-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Bob, if you are interested and can come up with a fairly large lump of cash, I can provide you with approx. 20 HOFer rookie cards from Bob Feller thru Kirby Puckett (most are graded). And can also provide you with about 100 official National and American League HOFer signed balls, including many deceased players. Would prefer to ship all at once. Best of luck in your quest.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:11 AM
Administrator

Richard, how much money are you talking about? The offer sounds good, but I will need to think it over once I hear the amount.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Administrator

bump

Old 03-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

"bump"

Bob... what was the purpose of the bump?

did you have something you wanted to add?

Old 03-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Administrator

no I didn't have anything to add, I am just waiting for a response from a user and don't want the thread to go out of view.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Bob, I will email you with details on HOF rookie cards and single-signed balls. Give me a few days to locate everything and put together a list. Thanks.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Bob, disregard the below message. Your AOL account is really screwed up. It also rejected my email from Hotmail in addition to my regular ISP. When you get your email problems fixed, go ahead and post here to let me know and I'll try again. Take care.

Bob, I managed to email you a list of 21 HOF rookie cards. Your AOL account rejected the email I sent from my ISP, so I had to send you an email from my Hotmail account. I'll wait for your response to the rookie card list before I dig up all of the single-signed balls.

Going to sleep now. Goodnight all.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

What the definition of a "fairly large lump of cash" ?

Old 03-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

As for a collection of HOF cards, FKW up there has told you right, "Try a card of every Hall of Fame player period, not rookie."

That will be enough of a chore. Shoot for 20th century, initially.

That way you have a laudable, yet affordable goal. One on which you can make progress.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:14 AM
Administrator

I never received the email Richard. I don't understand why, listed is my correct email. Try emailing it to user Cgart's email address, he can then send it to me. I'm eager to look to at the list, hope I can do business with you.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:05 AM
Administrator

Although never possible to fully complete, pursuing a HOF Rookie Card set has presented an endless amount of enjoyment for me. I have learned so much about vintage cards during the process not to mention which are the earliest cards of each HOF'er. My quest has also enabled me to keep my same focus for over 5 years now without the chance of completing it and then moving on to something else.