NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 12-08-2014, 06:35 AM

Default Question about 1991 Factory Sets

If the Holiday factory set was issued later in the year, is it reasonable to presume that the corrected versions of some of the cards (Chamberlin, Gonzalez, missing stats cards, etc) would be in that packaging as opposed to the regular factory set? Thanks.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:07 AM
Al Richter

Default 1991

It would seem reasonable...unless Topps was getting rid of anything and everything by that time of year

Are you shooting for a wholly corrected set ? Mind the backs too
Old 12-08-2014, 07:56 AM

Thanks for the reply. I figured you would know better than most. I'm trying for the more significant variations like missing or changed stats. I'm not ready to go fully down the print code/partial copyright/ink blotch wormhole yet.
Give me time on that part...
Old 12-08-2014, 08:30 AM
Al Richter

Default 1991

The dark side beckons
Old 12-08-2014, 09:21 AM
Sean Sullivan

Factory sets I ripped into always had the corrected versions of the good cards.
However, I sometimes have decent luck with those old Topps vending boxes.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:21 PM

Do we know the ratios of some of the more glaring errors, like Chamberlin, Gonzales and the misnumbered checklists?
Old 12-08-2014, 05:51 PM
Sean Sullivan

I literally buy boxes of these cards all the time. Chamberlain, Gonzales, etc., are pretty easy to find. It really depends on how detailed you want to get. There are "bold" 40th logos on back, faint ones, "pink" spillover in the numbers, some of them backs glow under UV lights, etc. All fairly common to find, but in so many combinations it really becomes difficult to acquire all of the "versions" on each card.
Then you have your Drabek and Hoiles white inner border cards, which are much rarer than the usual errors. Whiten hand-over border I think is super rare, I think. Junkwaxgems guy said on his website something to the same effect (check out his website for lots of commentary on this set, actually). He also lists a couple of other ones that might be more scarce than these ones also.
Good luck. Once you start down this road, it is really hard to stop!
Old 12-09-2014, 10:48 AM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonhamlin View Post
If the Holiday factory set was issued later in the year, is it reasonable to presume that the corrected versions of some of the cards (Chamberlin, Gonzalez, missing stats cards, etc) would be in that packaging as opposed to the regular factory set? Thanks.
I am not 100% sure, but I recall finding a mix of error and corrected versions in 1991 factory sets. Some errors in the set were produced concurrently, for example, Mark McGwire with 618 and .618 were produced at the same time as both can be found with bold 40th logos and in Desert Shield set, which used the bold logo cards for it's print run. There are a few more example like this as well.

I do know that you will not find any of the rare variations in factory sets. Hoiles, Drabek, Whiten, transitional Ventura, Boyd with black border around flag tip are all from short print runs, like from a different facility as they ended up in specific packaging types.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:49 AM
Al Richter

Default 1991

Some of the oddities mentioned. There is a Hoiles broken border on ebay now ( not mine)

Old 12-29-2014, 04:10 PM

So I finally bought and looked at the Holiday Factory set. Here's what I found: corrected versions of the checklists, missing stat cards and the correct photos on Gonzalez and Chamberlin. Jones' hat all airbrushed, and the Valdez with text, along with other later issued variations.
What I didnt find: Fielder, Hoiles, drabek, Whiten or Boyd variations (the Boyd was the most common pink hand type) and no A*B* codes except for Daryl Boston.
Not bad overall for the price and it filled a number of missing variations for me all at once.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:04 PM
Sean Sullivan

Cool!
Are you going to try and find all the variations now?