NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-17-2002, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Default As Charlton Heston Said

Posted By: warshawlaw 

Having just read the latest on the baseball negotiations, all I can say to the teams and the players if they can't figure out how to cut up this obscenely bloated revenue pie is:

"God damn you all to hell!!!!"

I did not renew my tickets this year, though I went to a handful of games. If they pull the plug again, they can count me out. I will never again spend a dime on their $hitty teams.

Old 08-17-2002, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I lived a spoiled live for the most of the past 20 years. I have paid for very sporting events I've attended because of connections or my job as a limo driver. I have not paid to see a baseball game in over 10 years and I don't plan on changing that habit any time soon. 1994 pissed off to the point that I vowed then not to ever pay for a ticket to a baseball game again.

If the Twins make it to the Series (if there is one) it will be hard not to be tempted to but a ticket for at least one game, unless they match up against a certain team. Then I will have free tickets to at least one game and possible more.

Perosnally, I don't understand how ALL the players can back this insane plan that insures that only the top few percent of the players get most of the money. Makes no sense to me at all. If I was Joe Average PLayer, I'd be more worried about getting a big jump in the minimum salary than ensuring that Sosa, A-Rod, etc can get $20M/yr contracts.

Jay

Old 08-17-2002, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenny Cole

It's pretty hard to feel sorry for the plight of those poor, struggling, billionare owners. It is also somewhat ironic that the owners, those bastions of capitalism at its finest, are now basically saying that they need their employees to help protect them from their own arrogance and stupidity. What a shining example of the Peter Principle in action. Jeez, do they need help from their employees to stay afloat in their other business endeavors?

Similarly, I can't really identify with the concerns of a union whose members earn an average salary of almost $2.5 million and have a median salary of what I understand to be about $450,000. That, of course, does not take into consideration all of the other not inconsiderable perks that go along with being a professional athlete. What a bunch of spoiled prima donnas. I wonder if the players ever think about how nice it is to be them as opposed to, say, a servant at one of their mansions.

I've seen some sad stuff in my life, but this ain't it. Who cares? If baseball folds, I won't shed a tear for either side. The people I will feel sorry for are the guys who sell hot dogs at the stadiums, the people who usher you to your seats, and all the other decent, hard-working people who then stand to lose their jobs because of the arrogance, stupidity and short-sightedness of Don Fehr, Bud Selig, and their respective stooges, lackeys and toadies.

In a perfect world I'd say lets put Selig and Fehr both in a bag and let them beat each other to death with bats. At least something productive would be accomplished that way. A pox on both their houses.

I guess I'll just keep on collecting cards of guys who are dead and who therefore don't much care about labor issues. The current game isn't for me.

Old 08-17-2002, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TheRick@99mph

Please save Charlton Heston the embarassment of not remembering what he said you damn dirty human!

Old 08-17-2002, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty

What I do not understand is the union concept. In labor unions that I know about, the catcher should get one wage, the right fielder a wage, starting pitcher a wage and so on. Without a union, they should be able to negotiate individial contracts, which is what they do now with a union, I do not understand. In 1994, some players had contracts that caused them to be paid by the owners even during a strike. I would bet that more players have that clause now. Several years ago, they got $75.00 per day meal money, I do not know what it is now. Endorsements and autograph shows both add to their income. Their playing career may be short and then they will have to fall back on the degree that they got in college to live on, which I hear is the most important thing about college athletics. Charles Barkley said that he got his degree in rebounding.
What difference does it make to an employee what the company earns, only what they earn. Maybe they shoud be paid for games that they win more that for games that they lose, would they try harder?

Old 08-17-2002, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar