NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-01-2013, 10:22 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Default Dick Perez paintings from Legendary

Did anyone pick one up? I know they aren't vintage, but with the subject matter plus the notoriety of Perez in the sports world I didn't know if anyone else here picked one up.

I picked up this one

I liked a few of them and though I have no connection in my collecting to Ernie Lombardi, I loved the action scene of this one.

When I asked my wife if she had a problem with me purchasing it her only stipulation was that it doesn't just get put in storage and was actually hung up somewhere. I could live with that
Old 03-01-2013, 11:39 AM
Ciaran

I purchased his painting of Tony Lazzeri yesterday. Being honest, I'm not sure it was one of the nicer looking paintings up for sale in the auction but Tony Lazzeri is one of my main collecting interests.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:47 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulidia View Post
I purchased his painting of Tony Lazzeri yesterday. Being honest, I'm not sure it was one of the nicer looking paintings up for sale in the auction but Tony Lazzeri is one of my main collecting interests.
I went the opposite way as far as collecting interest vs composition. I like oil on canvas and I really liked this composition of the one I got. There were a few that I couldn't chose between but my wife agreed that she liked this painting. So that helped.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Ciaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
I went the opposite way as far as collecting interest vs composition. I like oil on canvas and I really liked this composition of the one I got. There were a few that I couldn't chose between but my wife agreed that she liked this painting. So that helped.
Yes, undoubtedly that would help

I'm London-based so I will actually get my auction winnings sent to San Diego where my ex-partner lives and she'll bring them with her to meet me in NYC later in spring. Usually, it's just photos ..... so I need to break the news to her that there's a fairly large painting to bring also

I'm actually slightly tempted to see if I can buy one or two of the other Perez paintings that didn't sell.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:29 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulidia View Post
Yes, undoubtedly that would help

I'm London-based so I will actually get my auction winnings sent to San Diego where my ex-partner lives and she'll bring them with her to meet me in NYC later in spring. Usually, it's just photos ..... so I need to break the news to her that there's a fairly large painting to bring also

I'm actually slightly tempted to see if I can buy one or two of the other Perez paintings that didn't sell.
I was surprised more didn't sell and that only two of them broke the $1k mark. There were some really nice ones that I would love to have added that didn't get bids.

Of the three I really liked the only one that sold was the one I bought.

The other two I would have bought if I had the money were "Bill Klem" because of the cardinals players (I am in STL) and the "Sam Rice", I liked the Rice because of him showing a young child how to hold the bat. If I had gotten the Rice I would have also tried very hard to get lot 1841 "1910s-40s Philadelphia A's News Service Photos (24) Including 12 Hall of Famers - From Dick Perez's Personal Archive" because it has what appears to be the source photo for the Rice painting.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:31 PM
James C
Dennis Choraz.yczewski

I realize that Perez is a very respected artist but for my money I would rather have a Graig Kreindler painting. Kreindler has a way of breathing life into old images like no other artist. Just my opinion...
Old 03-01-2013, 01:39 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheykid54 View Post
I realize that Perez is a very respected artist but for my money I would rather have a Graig Kreindler painting. Kreindler has a way of breathing life into old images like no other artist. Just my opinion...
I agree that Kreindler's paintings are amazing (I skim through his "On the easel..." thread, but that doesn't mean that Perez's aren't worth having also... I would take a Kreindler painting any day at the same price I won the Perez for. I never see any prices on his paintings and I just assume they would stretch me beyond what I can pay (just like buying directly from Perez's site).
Old 03-01-2013, 01:41 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Greg...

I'm sure your sentiments are shared by very many (myself included). There was, however, a slight difference in the price realized for the Kreindler, and that of the Dick Perez paintings.

I haven't done the math (and don't intend to), but would bet that all of the Perez paintings added together fell short of the Kreindler masterpiece. And derservedly so, IMHO!

Editing to add that I own a couple of Perez/Perez works, and love them, as well...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PerezPerez1.jpg (73.3 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg PerezPerez2.jpg (72.5 KB, 200 views)

Last edited by perezfan; 03-01-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:52 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Greg...

I'm sure your sentiments are shared by very many (myself included). There was, however, a slight difference in the price realized for the Kreindler, and that of the Dick Perez paintings.

I haven't done the math (and don't intend to), but would bet that all of the Perez paintings added together fell short of the Kreindler masterpiece.

And derservedly so, IMHO!!
As mentioned in my previous post, Kreindler, is a great painter but that doesn't detract from Perez's paintings and the place he has made for himself in sports history. You really can't compare the two painters though, Kreindler is a photorealism painter, whereas Perez allows a little more interpretation through vibrant colors and highlights his paintings are not meant to fall into the photorealism category. It would be like comparing Peter Max (another artist that I would love to own a piece from) and Salvador Dali.

Kreindler and Perez paint the same subject matter but with different artistic POVs.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:56 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

True... and very tempting to go back and look at some of those that didn't sell. If only REA, Lelands and SCP weren't looming on the horizon...

BTW, I love your Lombardi as well. Wonderful image from the '39 World Series. May have been the only high point for the Reds. Great pickup!

Last edited by perezfan; 03-01-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Jeff

It's not an either or proposition.
I won the Eddie Collins.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 03-01-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:20 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
It's not an either or proposition.
That is what I was pointing out. I would love to own them both. Just like I would like to own a Honus Wagner T206 and an Anson Old Judge.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Barry Arnold

Default paintings

congratulations on the extraordinary Perez acquisitions.
I won the Perez Clark Griffith from an earlier Legendary auction and it has a central
place in the hall leading to my office.
I believe that both Perez and Kreindler are masterful artists in their own very different domains; i.e. their own unique approach to aesthetics.
I chose the aging Clark Griffith of Perez because I was looking for a perspective which would convey the artist's own gifts at discerning the
qualities of dedication, perseverance, and stoicism which Griffith embodies
as a baseball pioneer for well over a half-century. Perez knows these qualities, has lived them, and was able to move beyond the photorealism which was referred to in an earlier post. This in no way detracts from
my appreciation of Kreindler and Houle for their amazing realism---and more.
again, congratulations
all the best,
barry
Old 03-01-2013, 03:16 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

I would have loved to get in on the November auction (perez paintings had lower min bids then), but for some reason my registration didn't take. I had to contact them at the beginning of this auction to see why I still was unable to bid, they fixed it making this the first time I could bid in their auctions.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:30 AM

I'm not a fan of Perez' paintings, but that's just my personal taste.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:38 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
I would have loved to get in on the November auction (perez paintings had lower min bids then), but for some reason my registration didn't take. I had to contact them at the beginning of this auction to see why I still was unable to bid, they fixed it making this the first time I could bid in their auctions.
Maybe it was because they couldn't read your name??? heeh jk man! I like the umpire action in that painting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
I'm not a fan of Perez' paintings, but that's just my personal taste.
+1

I didn't mind his stuff back in the day(attempt at more realism) but he tried too hard to be different on these new ones and they just don't do it for me...AT ALL. That being said, I am sure there are items that I own/purchased that many would not like so to each their own. I think he has a name because of his work with the card companies way back when but that is where it ends. I just can't get over the paintings like this...sorry.
http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...ntoryid=129568
or this
http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...ntoryid=129573.

Ironically, the one that I liked best never sold. So maybe my taste is horrible...haha.
http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...ntoryid=129577

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 03-05-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:53 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
I didn't mind his stuff back in the day(attempt at more realism) but he tried too hard to be different on these new ones and they just don't do it for me...AT ALL. That being said, I am sure there are items that I own/purchased that many would not like so to each their own. I think he has a name because of his work with the card companies way back when but that is where it ends. I just can't get over the paintings like this...sorry.
http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...ntoryid=129568
or this
http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...ntoryid=129573.

Ironically, the one that I liked best never sold. So maybe my taste is horrible...haha.
http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...ntoryid=129577

I like those ones too, but hey it is all about taste. You obviously love realism, I like it to be mixed. The only real problem I have with the paining you love is that it is, at first glance, just a painting of an old man taking notes. The ones I love are the one's that at first glance are a baseball scene yet if you know things about sports then maybe the content may mean more to you. The Conlon is all about the knowledge of the content.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
I like those ones too, but hey it is all about taste. You obviously love realism, I like it to be mixed. The only real problem I have with the paining you love is that it is, at first glance, just a painting of an old man taking notes. The ones I love are the one's that at first glance are a baseball scene yet if you know things about sports then maybe the content may mean more to you. The Conlon is all about the knowledge of the content.
Agree... but I could paint and "mix things up" too. Just because it is not realism does not make it good art. That is all I am saying. If I am looking at a babe ruth painting, I want it to at least resemble a human. That is,unless it is a starry night or the scream masterpiece that has a different/deeper meaning. Paintings of baseball players I guess should capture the player in my mind. I see no other meaning in these paintingsJust my 2 cents.

Any for the record.. I didn't say I loved the Conlon painting, it is one of the ones I liked best.

Last edited by Forever Young; 03-05-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:28 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
Agree... but I could paint and "mix things up" too. Just because it is not realism does not make it good art. That is all I am saying. If I am looking at a babe ruth painting, I want it to at least resemble a human. That is,unless it is a starry night or the scream masterpiece that has a different/deeper meaning. Paintings of baseball players I guess should capture the player in my mind. I see no other meaning in these paintingsJust my 2 cents.

Any for the record.. I didn't say I loved the Conlon painting, it is one of the ones I liked best.
1) I didn't say "mix things up", I said I like it to be mixed. I don't always like full realism. I like it toned down a bit.

2) Perez's paintings you can tell it is Ruth when it is meant to be. If you can't see the artistic talent in Perez's paintings because they aren't photo real then I am sorry you can't appreciate them.

3) How did this post get into a critique of Perez's artistic talents? I posted a pickup that I was proud of and asked if anyone else picked one up. How does any of the negative (or quasi-negative) posts pertaining to the artist help this keep the original spirit of that original post?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:31 PM
John €ffenheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
True... and very tempting to go back and look at some of those that didn't sell. If only REA, Lelands and SCP weren't looming on the horizon...

BTW, I love your Lombardi as well. Wonderful image from the '39 World Series. May have been the only high point for the Reds. Great pickup!
Are the unsold items available for sale? If so, do you know if they are still subject to the buyers premium?
Old 03-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by effe View Post
Are the unsold items available for sale? If so, do you know if they are still subject to the buyers premium?
There were a ton of paintings at John Roger's booth at the national last year. Perhaps reach out to that group to see of they have any more available???

Old 03-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
1) I didn't say "mix things up", I said I like it to be mixed. I don't always like full realism. I like it toned down a bit.

2) Perez's paintings you can tell it is Ruth when it is meant to be. If you can't see the artistic talent in Perez's paintings because they aren't photo real then I am sorry you can't appreciate them.

3) How did this post get into a critique of Perez's artistic talents? I posted a pickup that I was proud of and asked if anyone else picked one up. How does any of the negative (or quasi-negative) posts pertaining to the artist help this keep the original spirit of that original post?
1)I happen to like paintings that aren't photo realistic.
2)I am sorry I mis-quoted you.
3) It became a critique right away no? I just happen to be on the other side of the critique that's all. It is great that you are happy with your purchase as that is all that matters. People are going to have different points of view.

Last edited by Forever Young; 03-05-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Jeff

Default D Perez Paintings

Who cares who likes them and who doesn't?
If everyone liked them then we would have had to pay more.
If you like what you bought then enjoy it.
I really like the Collins I bought. It's not an investment piece, it's decor.

Everyone has a POV, nuttin' wrong with that.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 03-05-2013, 05:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Who cares who likes them and who doesn't?
Absolutely. I can't imagine collecting or buying something for my collection just to impress others or in hope of gaining their approval. If I did that, there would be a lot of things that I really like missing from my collection.

Collect and buy what you like. Seems pretty basic.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Absolutely. I can't imagine collecting or buying something for my collection just to impress others or in hope of gaining their approval. If I did that, there would be a lot of things that I really like missing from my collection.

Collect and buy what you like. Seems pretty basic.
Hear, Hear!
Most everyone I know thinks I am crazy paying what I do for photography but it is what I like and my money to F'em. But I don't blame them for thinkig I am crazy.. I probably am..haha.