NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 04-15-2016, 09:42 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default A baseball question - 10 clues added

1,970,358*

697,197*
2,479,015*
7,781,984*
2,002,512*
750,026*

641,071*
1,948,609*
622,236*

Have I missed any?

If not, what do they represent?

A mistake has been added. What is it?

Clues may be forthcoming.

1 Asterisks have been added.

2 A second list has been added for clarification.

3 Did you know that numbers can be alphabetized?

4 A third list has now been added.

5 A fourth list would not be helpful.

6 This didn't happen overnight. It took 13 years.

7 Chance and Moon

8 Ashburn and Lopez

9 Sugar Cain vs Dizzy is a dyslexic clue.

10 Banks was known for his catchphrase, "It's a beautiful day for a ballgame ... Let's play two!"???

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 04-17-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:10 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I'm guessing payroll or attendance - the specifics of which I have no idea

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-15-2016, 10:17 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

It looks like Raymond needs a clue which has been provided by editing the OP.

Hope this doesn't make it too easy.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
It looks like Raymond needs a clue which has been provided by editing the OP.

Hope this doesn't make it too easy.
Don't worry...it didn't

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-16-2016, 04:21 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Populations of cities that have teams, possibly arrange by division?
Old 04-16-2016, 05:15 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Populations of cities that have teams, possibly arrange by division?
Incorrect, but I am adding another clue to the first post.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:02 PM

This is all I can figure out:

The relationship between the first number in each set of six is that the second set's first number is lower than the first set's and the third set's first number is lower than the second. This is true for the first, second, fifth and sixth numbers in each set.

For the third number in each set, the succeeding set's third number is more than the previous set.

For the fourth number in the first set, the second set's fourth number is lower, but the third set's fourth number is higher than the second set's.

...so much for numeric patterns...
I'm headed to the medicine cabinet now...my brain hurts.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:38 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
This is all I can figure out:

The relationship between the first number in each set of six is that the second set's first number is lower than the first set's and the third set's first number is lower than the second. This is true for the first, second, fifth and sixth numbers in each set.

For the third number in each set, the succeeding set's third number is more than the previous set.

For the fourth number in the first set, the second set's fourth number is lower, but the third set's fourth number is higher than the second set's.

...so much for numeric patterns...
I'm headed to the medicine cabinet now...my brain hurts.
The asterisks are important. Take two asterisks and call me in the morning.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:00 PM

If it wasn't for the fourth number in each set being so high, I would lean toward attendance figures with the lowest numbers being strike years.

The only number over 7 million I can think of associated with baseball would be an individual player's chronological numeric assignment - as in Joe was the 7,891,957 ML player, etc.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:04 PM

I don't HAVE 13 years.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:08 PM
Josh

It was bothering me so I looked it up, but I will not spoil it for anyone. (I may not even be right)

Last edited by cool-vintage; 04-16-2016 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:38 AM
Bill Gregory

The total distance, in feet, of Mickey Mantle's 536 home runs.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post

The total distance, in feet, of Mickey Mantle's 536 home runs.

....or 2,071,605 - projected total of empty seats at 2016 Braves' games.

Last edited by clydepepper; 04-17-2016 at 04:38 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:17 AM
Peter Spaeth

Clearly population figures. Probably a list of the same cities at different points in time as the numbers are relatively close. 7 million has to be NYC. 3 million has to be Chicago. Moon must mean one is LA. Ashburn must mean one is Philadelphia. In general, the asterisks seem to reflect a decline from the above list. But that does not explain the asterisk in the first list.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-17-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:03 AM

7,891,957 (1st group, fourth number listed), 7,781,984* (2nd group, fourth), and 7,894,862 (3rd group, fourth)
do indeed represent the official population of New York City in 1950, 1960, and 1970, respectively.
That's as far as we've gotten.

Asterisks represent number enhanced by steroid use.

Frank is Cicada3301.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl

Last edited by Butch7999; 04-17-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:41 PM

Frank - I do hope that the answer, when it is finally revealed, is not so obscure as to make any effort to find it fruitless.

In the 1990's my soon-to-be-ex-wife convinced me to attempt a sports trivia contest over the phone- well, anyone could have seen that result coming down main street...the first three or four questions were easy enough, but the fifth asked for the total points scored by all NFL teams in the 19xx playoffs...

As much as I enjoy a good challenge...

Frank...if it's like that, please just apologize and drop the mike...

Last edited by clydepepper; 04-17-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

Population figures for 1950 1960 and 1970 for six cities -- Boston Chicago Los Angeles New York Philadelphia St. Louis. Why those cities? Only major league cites to have two teams. The asterisks reflect years when the city did not have two teams.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:03 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default The reveal

Peter pretty much nailed it. Six cities have had or have American and National League teams at the same time. All the changes (relocating teams) occurred between 1952 and 1965. The six cities have been correctly identified and are in alphabetical order showing their population in the 1950, 1960 and 1970 census which spans the 13 year period. The city received an asterisk in any given census if they only had one team at that time. A fourth list would not change the asterisk distribution in either direction. In the 16 team major league baseball of the early fifties all games were played in only 10 cities, as New York had three teams in the early fifties in addition to the 4 cities with two. The Braves moved to Milwaukee in 1953. The Browns became the Orioles of Balimore in 1954. The Athletics moved from Philadelphia to KC in 1954. The Giants and Dodgers left New York in 1958. The Los Angeles Angels were formed in 1961 and originally played at Dodger Stadium before their move to Orange County. Their name was changed in 1965 to the California Angels, so technically there should be an asterisk by the LA population in the third list, because Anaheim is not Los Angeles. (This is the mistake I was referring to before the list of the clues.) The Mets were formed in 1962 amazingly returning New York to the two team city list. The pairs of players are players who played in the same city, but in different leagues during the first or last year of the dual occupancy. Dizzy and Sugar Cain were the aces for the two '35 St Louis clubs. '35 is a dyslexic '53, the Browns' last year of existence. I imagine that the scheduling to a large extent was created so that only one team in each city had a home game on any given day, but at least in the case of New York with three teams, there was frequently more than one game in a day in town. I believe that there are still days in Chicago when the Cubs and the White Sox play games in town on the same day. Ernie Banks was of course referring to playing a double header, but i wasn't in the clue. Finally it appears from the data that once the population drops below 800,000, it is unlikely that a city can support two teams. Football is a different story of course, where the entire city of Green Bay can fit in Lambeau Field even if a few of them would be in the Standing Room Only section, and that franchise is over 90 years old and going strong.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 04-17-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:53 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Peter pretty much nailed it. Six cities have had or have American and National League teams at the same time. All the changes (relocating teams) occurred between 1952 and 1965. The six cities have been correctly identified and are in alphabetical order showing their population in the 1950, 1960 and 1970 census which spans the 13 year period. The city received an asterisk in any given census if they only had one team at that time. A fourth list would not change the asterisk distribution in either direction. In the 16 team major league baseball of the early fifties all games were played in only 10 cities, as New York had three teams in the early fifties in addition to the 4 cities with two. The Braves moved to Milwaukee in 1953. The Browns became the Orioles of Balimore in 1954. The Athletics moved from Philadelphia to KC in 1954. The Giants and Dodgers left New York in 1958. The Los Angeles Angels were formed in 1961 and originally played at Dodger Stadium before their move to Orange County. Their name was changed in 1965 to the California Angels, so technically there should be an asterisk by the LA population in the third list, because Anaheim is not Los Angeles. (This is the mistake I was referring to before the list of the clues.) The Mets were formed in 1962 amazingly returning New York to the two team city list. The pairs of players are players who played in the same city, but in different leagues during the first or last year of the dual occupancy. Dizzy and Sugar Cain were the aces for the two '35 St Louis clubs. '35 is a dyslexic '53, the Browns' last year of existence. I imagine that the scheduling to a large extent was created so that only one team in each city had a home game on any given day, but at least in the case of New York with three teams, there was frequently more than one game in a day in town. I believe that there are still days in Chicago when the Cubs and the White Sox play games in town on the same day. Ernie Banks was of course referring to playing a double header, but i wasn't in the clue. Finally it appears from the data that once the population drops below 800,000, it is unlikely that a city can support two teams. Football is a different story of course, where the entire city of Green Bay can fit in Lambeau Field even if a few of them would be in the Standing Room Only section, and that franchise is over 90 years old and going strong.
I don't think anything comes close to East Rutherford, NJ, population 8,900, home to 2 NFL teams
Old 04-17-2016, 08:10 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
I don't think anything comes close to East Rutherford, NJ, population 8,900, home to 2 NFL teams
A 50 mile radius from Lambeau adds more cows than than people. The same is not true of East Rutherford.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:36 PM

Frank - you need a hobby

Technically, clue #3 ' Did you know that numbers can be alphabetized?' was bogus as it was the city names, not the numbers that were alphabetized - thought even more technically, the actual name of individual digits could be alphabetized, though they were not in this case.

So, we take half a point off for that...and I still would not have been able to figure it out - though I did, in fact, spend several minutes attempting to make sense of '8' being 'Eight' preceding '3' 'Three' and then '1' 'One'...etc.

My loose ties to logical numeric sorting - part of my Computer Science Coding experience - led me up that alley.

I'm easily confused these days...still have to get that check in the mail to that Nigerian Prince.